Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Global vs Kaya by alabang, on Flickr

The Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM was scheduled to ship in December 2010 @ $11,000 (AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR Autofocus Lens $8,899.95)

But it was delayed to September 2011 and the price was increased to $11,500

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ef_400mm_f28l_is_ii_usm/

willrobb said:
More great shots. I always wish I had a 400mm f2.8LIS for shooting fashion week, my 70-200mm f2.8L does OK, but with a lens like this.....would be heaven.
Thanks! How would you use the 400 during fashion week? I would assume you could shoot with the 70-200 just fine. Are you shooting the shoes and other accessories? Not being sarcastic as I ask someone who does NYC Fashion Week often how he would use it.

briansquibb said:
The old 400 f/2.8 was excellent - I would love to see a comparison between the two versions
From what I have read and seen online the optical difference between the version 1 and 2 are very slight. It widens when comparing the two with extenders version 2 and 3 attached.

The main draw for the version 2 is the weight reduction (3850g) followed by the modern internals and new features that supplement HDSLR users. I had the good fortune of Canon loaning me the lens during a local pro league finals and was the first time I have shot with any 400/2.8 for more than 5 minutes. I am thankful they did not loan me the lens for the LA Galaxy game as I would not have been as effective with unfamiliar gear.

All the shots posted so far used a 5D2 as almost every pro and user review out there used a 1-Series body. And I wanted to simulate how an image from a 1DX may look like in terms of framing, bokeh and depth of field.

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
The old 400 f/2.8 was excellent - I would love to see a comparison between the two versions

We do have a comparison, here
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-400mm-f-2.8-L-IS-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
as compared to here http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-400mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Even though not side-by-side pics it covers it. The real deal for me is to see a sharp price drop of the Mk.I as investing $11k on the Mk.II you have to be an agency of sorts. I had the FD model sometime ago, joy to use but such a bulk to handle...

Upvote 0
scrappydog said:
Thanks for the links. I've read these reviews before. I was curious to have additional input from folks (e.g., birders, sports photographers) that have used both.
I have the Series 2 400mm and I have used it for the following application

- moon
- flag football
- associate football
- polo
- birds

Never owned the Series 1 400mm because of the weight.

A friend with the Series 1 300mm and 400mm that are less than a year old wants to trade them both up form my 400mm.

Upvote 0
scrappydog said:
dolina said:
A friend with the Series 1 300mm and 400mm that are less than a year old wants to trade them both up form my 400mm.
This pretty much sums it up, I suppose. I am looking forward to trying the new 400mm out. Thanks for the info.

Any time. :) Canon lent me the 400mm for evaluation and I placed an order. The two month wait was well worth it. it is the best lens I have ever used.

Untitled by alabang, on Flickr

Upvote 0