Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM & Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM II Discontinued

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like Canon is discontinuing EF lenses at quite a fast pace. This time I have been told that both the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM II and Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM II have been discontinued.
Keep in mind, even if a lens is discontinued from production, you’re still going to be able to find inventory in certain stores for a while.
I have added a page with a list of recently discontinued Canon EF lenses to the left menu. I’ll keep track of every lens that Canon discontinues over the next little while.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

sobrien

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2020
Seriously?! The 2018-released and generally wonderful Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM II?!

Wow. If true that is a remarkable statement of intent that EF is fully done and dusted. I mean the writing has very clearly been on the wall but discontinuing such a new and well received lens is shifting things up a few gears. The powers that be must feel very good about how the R series has gone and confident about its future.

As someone who has sold all my EF mount cameras and gone mostly RF, I’m not best placed to complain, but I’m still a little shocked.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Seriously?! The 2018-released and generally wonderful Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM II?!

Wow. If true that is a remarkable statement of intent that EF is fully done and dusted. I mean the writing has very clearly been on the wall but discontinuing such a new and well received lens is shifting things up a few gears. The powers that be must feel very good about how the R series has gone and confident about its future.

As someone who has sold all my EF mount cameras and gone mostly RF, I’m not best placed to complain, but I’m still a little shocked.
This was the one that hit me in the pit of the stomach... as someone not having made the plunge and still very happy with a 5d3 and 7d2, this made me sad.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Understandable and it'll be good to see simplified options in shops without having half a dozen 70-200 f/4 lenses on sale at once. However, the usual suspects said Nikon was doomed when it was suggested they were discontinuing some lines. Hopefully people start seeing that Canon and Nikon are readying up for the next few decades and selling older lenses isn't particularly good for their future.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I am a little bit surprised that the 70-200 is on that list.
I thought that those workhorse zooms would stay until the end.
But it seems that Canon decided to do the big jump out of the old system.

I am not at that point - esp. the price point -, so I will stay with EF for a few years longer.
Will be interesting what cameras and lenses will last till the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whew, what a surprise and the pace in which Canon discontinues lenses seems to quicken on a daily basis. I still imagine that last year productions challenges made Canon decide to stick with the future RF lenses and say goodbye to the still-great-and-present EF lenses. Without COVID I think Canon would've held on a few more years in production of EF lenses, especially the ones being released in 2018...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I guess this pretty much confirms there will not be a 5D mk V or any other DSLR. Would you agree?

An EOS 5D Mark V, unfortunately, doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. They want you over to the RF mount, if they produced a 5D5, that would take people away from the EOS R system for years.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
So no 5D5 then? Anyone?

(if anyone still seriously doubted that Canon was done with higher end DSLRs then I think is the proverbial writing on the wall... Stick a fork in it.)
I have swallowed a year ago that the 5D line is at its end - that's why I got me a 5D4 lately for a very good price.
I have always thought that there would be a 1D X Mark IV (or else) as a last pro cam. Like they did with the Canon EOS-1V in film times.
Now I am not sure about this anymore.

What gets me totally puzzeled is what they are planning for the Rebel/Kiss/xxxD/xxxxD/EF-S audience. :unsure:o_O
Esp. with the rumors that EOS M system is about to end, too.
Is that consumer market dead and lost to smartphones?
Will it continue? Will there be something else?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my opinion those lenses already perform at a very high level so that it wouldn't make any sense (economically) to put more effort into developing a successor with just tiny improvements.

I still own the lightgray version I of the 70-200/4 IS L USM which I still love but I have partially converted to RF already, starting with replacing my 6D2 with the R6 and selling some EF lenses.

Now there is hope that availability will improve if Canon can improve their production rates of RF gear, and also hope that prices could drop a little because I can't / won't afford to switch from EF to RF all at once right now.

Upvote 0
what they are planning for the Rebel/Kiss/xxxD/xxxxD/EF-S audience. :unsure:o_O
I think those lines will be lost more or less. Smartphones have taken over the large numbers. I figure there'll only be like one, two camera models (three at most) underneath the FF sector in order to attract customers. This and a revamped Powershot section and cameras like the 100-400mm Powershot are the successors of those lines. In addition to that, I'm sure we'll see a 500 $ FF camera in a about four years...

The camera industry will only grow back into large numbers if the smartphones magically disappear. This could only happen if the some magic device like the "communicator" from Star Trek or if Samsung and Apple actually go through with their patents of replacing the touchscreen by the paw of ones hand and a laser project the screen on when needed... but that sounds an awful lot like sci-fi

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I have swallowed a year ago that the 5D line is at its end - that why I got me a 5D4 lately for a very good price.
I have always thought that there would be a 1D X Mark IV (or else) as a last pro cam. Like they did with the Canon EOS-1V in film times.
Now I am not sure about this anymore.

What gets me totally puzzeled is what they are planning for the Rebel/Kiss/xxxD/xxxxD/EF-S audience. :unsure:o_O
Is that consumer market dead and lost to smartphones?
Will it continue? Will there be something else?

I'm thinking that it rolls on as is until the supply chain issues resolve enough to get an R7 or whatever it ends up being out to the market. After that my guess is that the R7 will be the cropper flagship, and there will be a couple of "lesser" mirrorless models below it, and that will be it. I see the rest going away.

With the push to mirrorless and Canon announcing the discontinuation of extremely popular EF lenses, I don't see them continuing to develop and market lenses for a system that they are obviously working to make obsolete.

People all want mirrorless. I don't think most of them know why they want mirrorless aside from that's what's being pushed by the manufacturers and that"mirrorless" is the buzzword nowadays. I think the trend is going to continue and escalate and it will become harder and harder to get people to even look at anything else. The trend is here and it isn't going away.

Personally, I started with the EOS-R and recently got my R5, but I was sold on the benefits of mirrorless shortly after I took the EOS-R out of the box.

I still have my DSLRs but I don't use them as much as I used to.

I see the segment leaders as Sony and Canon. Sony couldn't care less about DSLR and Canon is either going to have to support two product lines (stupid) or go the way of Sony and put all their eggs in the mirrorless basket.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0