Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 Coming for Photokina [CR2/CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>This has been a hard lens to pin down, likely because it’s still a long way off, with the expected announcement in August/September 2018 ahead of Photokina.</p>
<p>We <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-coming-ef-m-prime-to-be-50mm-equivalent-for-aps-c-eos-m-cr2/">reported last month</a> that the lens was going to be a 50mm equivalent for APS-C and that it was going to be fast.</p>
<p>We rate this information in two parts.</p>
<p><strong>The [<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-rumors-rating-system-explained/">CR3</a>] Part:</strong></p>
<p>The lens will have a focal length of 32mm and won’t have IS.</p>
<p><strong>The [<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-rumors-rating-system-explained/">CR2</a>] Part:</strong></p>
<p>The speed of the lens I haven’t been able to nail down with 100% certainty as of yet, it’ll either be f/1.4 or f/1.8 based on the conflicting information I have received.</p>
<p>Once I confirm 100% the speed of the lens, I’ll obviously let you know.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Re: Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 Announcement Coming for Photokina [CR2/CR3]

eninja said:
If f1.4, will the lens be like, attaching an EF 35mm 1.4 L to Eos M?

No. It will be like attaching a slightly larger version of the ancient pre IS EF 35mm f/2. My guess is it will be about as big as the EF 50 f/1.4 USM, which is to say not that big at all.

Sigma made an EF-S image circle 30mm f/1.4 and it was not that big if memory serves.

- A

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2012

ahsanford said:
eninja said:

No. It will be like attaching a slightly larger version of the ancient pre IS EF 35mm f/2. My guess is it will be about as big as the EF 50 f/1.4 USM, which is to say not that big at all.

Sigma made an EF-S image circle 30mm f/1.4 and it was not that big of memory serves.

- A

Certainly I was not referring to the size.
I mean like bokeh wise:
Eos M + EF-m 32mm f/1.4 ?= Eos M + EF 35mm 1.4 L ?= 6D + EF 50mm f/1.8

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

eninja said:
ahsanford said:
eninja said:

Sigma made an EF-S image circle 30mm f/1.4 and it was not that big of memory serves.

- A

I mean like bokeh wise:

Oh. No, it will have the light gathering of f/1.4, but the DOF/isolation of a full frame camera with a 50mm f/2.2 or so.

As far as the quality of the bokeh goes, that’s quite subjective and we’ll have to try it and see.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
eninja said:
ahsanford said:
eninja said:

- A

I mean like bokeh wise:

Oh. No, it will have the light gathering of f/1.4, but the DOF/isolation of a full frame camera with a 50mm f/2.2 or so.

- A

So it hits the target mark of people wanting a smaller camera with a standard lens *and* is great for cinematographers as well?

This will probably sell very well. If I was in the M camp I'd buy it day one.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I stand corrected on the potential size of this. Sigma's crop-only 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art is just about as big as Canon's EF 35mm f/2 IS USM.

Can't post the picture today, but you can see a direct comparison here:
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Product-Images.aspx?Lens=838&LensComp2=0&LensComp=824

So I appreciate we need to consider the mirrorbox removal for an EF-M version, but one would think it would be about as big as these two lenses.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:
Also curious to see if we'll get a nano USM here, or if it will just be STM.

I'd guess STM.

Most likely, right? I'm also curious what they'll ask for it:

If it's f/1.4 Nano USM, you're into 'enthusiast money' territory -- esp. as this mount's first truly fast prime. I'm assuming you're in the $399-499 territory.

But if it's f/1.8 STM, you're really just replicating an EF 50 f/1.8 STM in crop, and that EF only costs $125.

So depending on speed + AF, price could be all over the map. We'll have to wait and see.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
I'm surprised by no IS. I understand that will make it smaller and lighter, but it will also limit its appeal for some. Maybe not the hard core CR readers, but for the millions who have come to rely on having IS in all their lenses.

Agree of course, but perhaps they wanted to minimize its size or not upstage EF here (who does not have IS in faster than f/2 primes wider than 85mm presently).

- A

Upvote 0
Actual EF-M line :
- 5 Zooms
- Only 2 primes
- All 7 lenses are under 300g. (The sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM ART is 435g.)
- Only 1 is non-stabilized : the smallest one (22 pancake).
- All 7 lenses are STM type

Knowing Canon, they will stick to their product familly philosophy : Small, light and reasonably priced.

If the "no IS" is confirmed, I'd bet on another ultracompact/pancake lense.
STM seems obvious a this stage.
Aperture? f/1.4 seems a bit "out of the family" and has an impact on both cost and size/weight.

A good 32mm f/2 (f/1.8 maybe) pancake, as sharp as the 22mm seem a logical plan.

But it also depends on what will really be the M50. If it's a very video-centric camera, it could ask for really different EF-M lenses.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
unfocused said:
I'm surprised by no IS. I understand that will make it smaller and lighter, but it will also limit its appeal for some. Maybe not the hard core CR readers, but for the millions who have come to rely on having IS in all their lenses.

IS wouldn't really be necessary for a "normal" perspective lens. No full frame 50mm currently has IS. Seems like the wides and longs do get IS unless L series 2.8 lenses (16~35 & 28~70 L lenses of f/4 have IS, f/2.8 do not).
IS is, however, immensely popular and helps sales albeit at a higher cost and possible impact upon ultimate image quality. Adding electronics and another element does not come for free.
My guess would be that a EF-m fast normal would not need/have IS unless necessary for marketing...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
hachu21 said:
Knowing Canon, they will stick to their product familly philosophy : Small, light and reasonably priced.

If the "no IS" is confirmed, I'd bet on another ultracompact/pancake lense.
STM seems obvious a this stage.

Small? Yes.

STM? Highly likely.

Pancake? No. Not unless you consider the 50 f/1.8 stm a pancake.

- A

Upvote 0