Canon EF-M 85/2.4 STM IS - stupid Canon, go make it!

Nov 4, 2011
when does stupid Canon finally come up with this lens? Aside from a fully competitive, kick-ass EOS M4 body, a short tele prime is the only thing I am missing for my EOS M setup.

I want it as compact as the Pentax HD 70/2.4 pancake ... which is a mirrorslapper lens, so a mirrorless version should not be bigger, even with a tiny STM-AF drive and tiny IS unit built in.
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-hd-pentax-da-70mm-f-2-4-limited-lens-review-23141

666-HD-Pentax-DA-70mm-Limited-5_1381756654.jpg

Plastic mount and no manual focus ring and gear would be perfectly fine with me. As light as possible. As compact as possible. As simple as possible. As cheap as possible. IQ as great as possible = like EF-M 22/2. 8)

WHY oh why not, stupid Canon?

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
thetechhimself said:
Neuro, I'd agree with you 99% of the time, but a nifty fifty on a crop Rebel is lethal for candids; try it sometime. Actually I find my shots from a cropped 50mm, IE 80 effective, a lot of times to be "better" than a 5D3 + 85 f/1.2, it just gives it a certain look. Now the latter stomps on the former btw, but, you shouldn't discount the former is my point.

I agree on this point, not specifically the EF 50/1.8 but over the years I've found I like the effect that a FF image circle 50 mil gives on crop. The dof / focus fall off / focus transition seems to be subtly different from the FF with 75 - 85. It's also easier to use well, or at least I find it so.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Sporgon said:
thetechhimself said:
Neuro, I'd agree with you 99% of the time, but a nifty fifty on a crop Rebel is lethal for candids; try it sometime. Actually I find my shots from a cropped 50mm, IE 80 effective, a lot of times to be "better" than a 5D3 + 85 f/1.2, it just gives it a certain look. Now the latter stomps on the former btw, but, you shouldn't discount the former is my point.

I agree on this point, not specifically the EF 50/1.8 but over the years I've found I like the effect that a FF image circle 50 mil gives on crop. The dof / focus fall off / focus transition seems to be subtly different from the FF with 75 - 85. It's also easier to use well, or at least I find it so.

problem is, there is NO EF-M prime lens longer than ... f*cking 22mm and now that 28mm Macro. No 50mm. No 85mm.

That needs to change, and I would like to get the longest FL possible in an ultra-compact lens first = EF-M 85/2.4 IS STM.

50mm has lower priority, since 50/1.8 STM plus adapter is a reasonable workaround, although a native EF-M 50/1.8 STm IS would of course be nicer, since it could be made rather pancakey.

EF 85/1.8 does not play so well on OS M due to size/weight and AF. And IQ needs improvement, especially LoCA (Purple fringing).

I really don't understand, why stupid Canon is dragging its feet on something so obvious and simple.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
when does stupid Canon finally come up with this lens? Aside from a fully competitive, kick-ass EOS M4 body, a short tele prime is the only thing I am missing for my EOS M setup.

I want it as compact as the Pentax HD 70/2.4 pancake ... which is a mirrorslapper lens, so a mirrorless version should not be bigger, even with a tiny STM-AF drive and tiny IS unit built in.
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-hd-pentax-da-70mm-f-2-4-limited-lens-review-23141

666-HD-Pentax-DA-70mm-Limited-5_1381756654.jpg

Plastic mount and no manual focus ring and gear would be perfectly fine with me. As light as possible. As compact as possible. As simple as possible. As cheap as possible. IQ as great as possible = like EF-M 22/2. 8)

WHY oh why not, stupid Canon?

I would prefer 2.0 and a focus ring and some distance information and a good close focus / MFD and stellar IQ and IS ...

But just a simple 85mm wouldn't be pancake - it needs to have 85mm from sensor side principle plane to sensor. The only way to make it shorter is using a tele design which isn't impossible. But a lens length below 60mm (just in the case of f/2.4) is not realistic IMO.

The pentax is so cute because it uses 25mm more flange distance of the mirror slapper.

If canon is stupid - I don't know. They saved me a lot of money releasing products I am not interested in and "forcing" me to buy two used 5D and using my EOS M ...

But sth. like 85mm prime for EOS M is really missing and because I see 100mm as standard FL I would not hesitate to buy such a lens if it has the right spec-IQ-price-size balance.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
axtstern said:
This is really amazing, wherever the AVTVM submarine is breaking the waves, the Neuro dive bomber is already circling the skies. Maybe it is this Stupid Stupid battlecry that gives him away.
Ah lets lean back and watch another episode
Yes, it is amazing. I am convinced that several people post under the Neuro nick. They also seem to have some tracker on me/my posts. Only way to explain the almost immediate response to any of my posts ... with the usual boring Canon Defense League stuff.

Can you "follow"/track other members on this forum? I don't see such a thing, but maybe with special/admin-type privileges?

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
mb66energy said:
But just a simple 85mm wouldn't be pancake - it needs to have 85mm from sensor side principle plane to sensor. The only way to make it shorter is using a tele design which isn't impossible. But a lens length below 60mm (just in the case of f/2.4) is not realistic IMO.

The pentax is so cute because it uses 25mm more flange distance of the mirror slapper.
and using my EOS M ...

I agree. But even if an EF-M 85/2.4 IS STM would come same size as EF-M 18-55 which is 60.9 mm Dia x 61 Length, I would be very happy. 8)

Talking to stupid Canon, one has to ask for the impossible ... in order to get anything at all. ;) ;D

Upvote 0

arcer

You're now reading irrelevant text.
Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
I would also welcome a native 85mm (136mm on FF) pancake also for either EF-S or EF-M. Hope it can reach F1.8.

But I think it is too harsh to call Canon stupid unless you have proof of Canon hoarding the lens formula without utilizing it. Just because Pentax have a 70mm pancake, it does not automatically mean that Canon has a 85mm pancake in its drawers somewhere. Or maybe I have to visit dilbertland to understand such insights.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
arcer said:
I would also welcome a native 85mm (136mm on FF) pancake also for either EF-S or EF-M. Hope it can reach F1.8.

But I think it is too harsh to call Canon stupid unless you have proof of Canon hoarding the lens formula without utilizing it. Just because Pentax have a 70mm pancake, it does not automatically mean that Canon has a 85mm pancake in its drawers somewhere. Or maybe I have to visit dilbertland to understand such insights.

Everyone (including OP) knows that Canon is not stupid, and of course they are hoarding lens formulas without utilizing them as it's SOP. The third and fourth quarters of this year (according to Canons' Koichi and Maeda) will show whether Canon now considers the M a worthy recipient of their R&D and manufacturing outlay. While most folks around here are awaiting an enthusiast M, I am more interested in faster primes as I believe that a Canon mirrorless capable of sports shooting is at least several models into the future.

To the OP: That Pentax lens that you covet looks like a gorilla's nipple :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sporgon said:
thetechhimself said:

I'm honestly not sure how my questioning the utility of an f/2.4 lens for portraits on APS-C was misinterpreted as questioning the utility of a 50mm lens for portraits on APS-C. ??? My issue was with the f/2.4 aperture for which the OP is asking.

In a studio-type setting, with control of background, max aperture matters little (I typically shoot a 135mm lens on FF, which is the FL equivalent the OP discussed, at f/10 or narrower when using a backdrop). When I used APS-C regularly, I moved from the 85/1.8 to the 85/1.2L for more subject isolation in outdoor portrait shooting.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
I am convinced that several people post under the Neuro nick. They also seem to have some tracker on me/my posts. Only way to explain the almost immediate response to any of my posts ... with the usual boring Canon Defense League stuff.

I repeat... ::)

But, given the other ridiculous fantasy scenarios of which you are 'convinced', I'm not surprised by your silly statements.

Upvote 0

arcer

You're now reading irrelevant text.
Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
brad-man said:
arcer said:

Everyone (including OP) knows that Canon is not stupid, and of course they are hoarding lens formulas without utilizing them as it's SOP. The third and fourth quarters of this year (according to Canons' Koichi and Maeda) will show whether Canon now considers the M a worthy recipient of their R&D and manufacturing outlay. While most folks around here are awaiting an enthusiast M, I am more interested in faster primes as I believe that a Canon mirrorless capable of sports shooting is at least several models into the future.

To the OP: That Pentax lens that you covet looks like a gorilla's nipple :)

If the circumstances is as what you had mentioned, I rather they use a more civilized word than 'stupid'. For example, nonsensical or insensitive.

Other than that, I find your knowledge of gorilla nipple quite distracting and your comment disturbing.

Upvote 0