Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
LuCoOc said:
Canon seems to have announced a new version of this lens today. I haven't found it in the forum yet so simply wanted to inform you guys about it.

It was incorporated into the 600D/T3i announcement:

"Introducing the new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II

Launching with the EOS 600D is the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II – a new kit lens that provides excellent performance for beginners. A lightweight construction makes it easy to carry, and Canon’s acclaimed optical Image Stabilization also minimises the risk of blur, allowing photographers to use shutter speeds 4 stops slower while still maintaining a blur-free shot. The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II will succeed the existing EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS in Canon’s lens line-up.
"

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
gbaturin said:
Wow, another FAIL from Canon. If they wanted to launch a new EFS they should have replaced the 17 55. any lens with variable aperture is a FAIL. And that includes the new L 70 300. Whatever happened to the good old days of the 70 200 series...Gone, lost in the wake of the credit crunch... :'(

Not all users can afford expensive lenses, thats why every camera and every lens maker has variable aperture lenses. We are talking a kit lens for a $700 camera kit, and you think it should be a $1500 lens?

Upvote 0
P

pgabor

Sorry for u guys:

"The 600D gets a 'new' kit lens, the EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II. According to Canon this is identical in specification to the previous version, and features exactly the same optics and IS system: it simply has a revised external design. The visible changes suggest a paring down of production costs, for example the 'white square' alignment mark for mounting the lens is now simply painted on, rather than moulded. The camera will also come in a kit with the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens."

source: http://dpreview.com/previews/canoneos600d

Upvote 0
G

gbaturin

scalesusa said:
gbaturin said:
Wow, another FAIL from Canon. If they wanted to launch a new EFS they should have replaced the 17 55. any lens with variable aperture is a FAIL. And that includes the new L 70 300. Whatever happened to the good old days of the 70 200 series...Gone, lost in the wake of the credit crunch... :'(

Not all users can afford expensive lenses, thats why every camera and every lens maker has variable aperture lenses. We are talking a kit lens for a $700 camera kit, and you think it should be a $1500 lens?

Yeah, I bought an 18 200 with my 50D two years ago, and I am still sorry I did not dish out the extra 300 bucks for a 24 105. Anyonone buying an xxD or higher should not go for anything less than L series. I will set things right as soon as I buy all those toys and gear for my kid :)

Upvote 0
G

gbaturin

pgabor said:
Sorry for u guys:

"The 600D gets a 'new' kit lens, the EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II. According to Canon this is identical in specification to the previous version, and features exactly the same optics and IS system: it simply has a revised external design. The visible changes suggest a paring down of production costs, for example the 'white square' alignment mark for mounting the lens is now simply painted on, rather than moulded. The camera will also come in a kit with the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens."

source: http://dpreview.com/previews/canoneos600d

This info is an EPIC LOL ;D another brilliant example of Canons post crisis marketing strategy.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Bummer. But very smart - take a cheap lens, and make it even cheaper to produce. Pure profit.

gbaturin said:
Yeah, I bought an 18 200 with my 50D two years ago, and I am still sorry I did not dish out the extra 300 bucks for a 24 105. Anyonone buying an xxD or higher should not go for anything less than L series.

Were you 'seduced' but the wide focal range? Any superzoom lens represents a compromise, and optical quality is usually on the chopping block. On a crop body, the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS outperforms the 24-105mm f/4L IS (although they cost about the same).

Upvote 0
G

gbaturin

neuroanatomist said:
Bummer. But very smart - take a cheap lens, and make it even cheaper to produce. Pure profit.

gbaturin said:
Yeah, I bought an 18 200 with my 50D two years ago, and I am still sorry I did not dish out the extra 300 bucks for a 24 105. Anyonone buying an xxD or higher should not go for anything less than L series.

Were you 'seduced' but the wide focal range? Any superzoom lens represents a compromise, and optical quality is usually on the chopping block. On a crop body, the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS outperforms the 24-105mm f/4L IS (although they cost about the same).

Yeah, I was won over by the superb zoom range and modest price... But now I know I should have known better :D The 18-200 is a great lens to have, but not more than that. I'm not even considering buying the 17-55, because I'm planning to move up to FF in the next year or two.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.