Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

I recently sold my 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II lens, as I'm on a mission to reduce my gear to what I really use / need. I just don't shoot in the tele focal range enough. But then I decided I wanted something cheap and small for the rare times I do need it, so I bought this lens for $133(USD)!
This is just a test shot as I play around and see what I can squeeze out of it.
Baxter Goose by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
There is no better lens bargain than the 55-250. It is sharp and cheap, two qualities that are seldom found together. It is also light and compact. Some people are turned off by what they consider flimsy construction, but in real world use it is surprisingly durable.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Bought my GF one for when we were in africa. Its a fantastic lens super cheap and really impressive IQ.

I found myself looking over envious with the weight savings while she had her 70D and 55-250 while I was carrying the 7DMKII and 100-400MKII!

Only problem she had with it is the silver ring around the end isn't painted or sprayed its a sticker and hers has peeled off.

The STM motor is also really impressive during video, she shot some fantastic footage.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty impressed with it. Especially for <150$!
I thought I was done with Canon crop cameras and EF-s lenses, but then Canon had a crazy refurb glitch a year ago where multiple discount codes were stackable and I was able to purchase a 7D mkii for like $875 and couldn't pass it up! So this combo basically cost me 1k ;)

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
I agree with all the above. I use 7D2 and 100-400 ver. 2 for birds and insects, and can get amazingly detailed photos at MFD. But for long hikes, long days, and some travel I'm using a 7D and 55-250 STM that I bought for $130. It is not capable of the same level of detail, but it is amazing for the price. I've shot more than 8,000 photos and carried it for hundreds of miles, even dropped it once very hard, and I can't imagine a better lens for my purpose and for the price. When it dies I will buy another.

Upvote 0