Canon EOS-1D C vs Nikon D5 for 4K Video

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Which flagship DSLR is better for 4K video recording, the released in 2012 Canon EOS-1D C, or the recently announced Nikon D5?</p>
<p>Andrew at EOSHD says the Canon EOS-1D C is still the superior 4K DSLR for cinematographers.</p>
<blockquote><p>This time it’s a win for Canon. Although it was released nearly 4 years ago in 2012 the Canon 1D C remains superior to the current Nikon D5 flagship for 4K, which I find puzzling because technology goes a very long way in 4 years. <a href="http://www.eoshd.com/2016/01/nikon-d5-versus-canon-1d-c-cinematic-4k-video-wins/" target="_blank">Read the full comparison</a></p></blockquote>
<p>There is a ton of talk about 4K in Canon’s next generation of full frame cameras, namely the EOS-1D X Mark II, which will have it and the EOS 5D Mark IV, which is still up in the air. There just hasn’t been any reliable information about whether or not Canon will put 4K into the EOS 5D Mark IV. If Nikon hasn’t implemented 4K as well as Canon did 4 years ago, that would be quite an interesting development and may be telling about 4K development in DSLRs going forward.</p>
<p>Based on specifications, do you agree with EOSHD’s assessment of the EOS-1D C vs D5?</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

That was a very interesting article to read, thanks for sharing.

And how true is this:

Nikon must get real and start doing their research properly, first and foremost by asking the right people and not just those who only ever agree in order to sweeten their relationship with the manufacturer, or put their names to workshops and sponsored shooting opportunities. These people will never give bluntly honest feedback or shout Nikon down when they have made a mistake. Only independent filmmakers and the enthusiast video community will judge the situation in the cold harsh light of day.

Made me think of one review of the D5, where you could almost see written between the lines the photographer begging Nikon to keep using him for future pre-release models!

Upvote 0
Dec 21, 2010
The obvious reason for the D5's disappointing video performance is Nikon doesn't give a crap about video in their DSLRs. There's just no other way around the bush. The D5 is a stills camera through and through, and they only do themselves a disservice by hyping up the 4k video. If they had just promoted it as a tremendous stills camera, pros will still buy a lot of them. I guess because everyone else has 4k, Nikon had to have it, but don't hype it, for heaven's sake. This is like a regular sedan being marketed with a top speed of 200mph, even though it can't realistically do that and not fall apart. Bad advertising execution by Nikon IMO.

Upvote 0
Canon must be breathing a sigh of relief.
Seeing the new Nikon competition, they don't have to wory about putting GOOD 4k into the 1dx2 or 5d4. They can just use their 4 year old 1dc technology with the new cameras and they will still beat the competition.

However, I really do hope that Canon has listened to videographers and brings us good 4k in the new cameras and blow Nikon away.

Upvote 0
As a Canon 1Dc owner myself, I can testify that the IQ in video mode is still excellent, even with today's standards. It was designed around the original Canon Log which is 12 stops and optimised for 8 bit.

Many C300 mkII users still fall back to the Canon Log (as opposed to Canon Log2) in various situations. There are numerous misunderstandings when it comes to log image capture, and I think too many always always try to shoot "15 stops", even in 9 stop scenes—not realising it can be to their disadvantage.

My main wishes for 1Dx mkII are: DPAF and 10bit internal 4k video. It would also be good if the codec was XC10's .mxf codec that would come in at maybe 350Mb/s intra frame 4:2:2. Unfortunately, I don't think this codec is available unless Canon integrates a DV chip…

Upvote 0
None of these are good cameras for video. The 4k video is limited to 3 minutes on the Nikon for crying out loud. This isn't a good video camera for anyone, not even hobbyists, 3 minute video limit is pointless and inexcusable.

Heating issues are behind this of course. Large sensor creating lots of heat and weather sealing not allowing the heat to escape, are why these full frame DSLR are limited and why an iPhone can record 4k without limits.

The iPhone can record 4k video without any limits, the only limit is storage capacity.

And if you think comparing them to an iPhone is unfair, it's not. It shows how much both Nikon and Canon have fallen behind. Bringing up smartphones shows how retarded the DSLR situation has become, how far they have fallen behind.

Rebel DSLR still can't do 60p @ 1080P, it is pathetic.

Real pros are using Arri, unlimited 4k. Hobbyists should be looking at Panasoni and Sony for 4k of course.

I recommend DLSR for photography. For video? Hell no, not even to my worst enemy. They have fallen hopelessly behind mirrorless and smartphones.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
neuroanatomist said:
The 1D C is currently $500 more than the D5.

You can find them for $4500 used.

One of the biggest issues with the 1DC is that they are still about $8K new. If they were $4500 new, I think there would be a fantastic second life market arising for the 1DC with minimal effort on Canon's part. Instead, many are waiting/wishing/hoping for a 5DMk4 (or similar) for "budget" 4K usage.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I would expect another not-insignificant price drop in the near future with the 1DX2 coming out. I'm not certain, but I suspect the 1DC is no longer in production.

bsbeamer said:
Canon Rumors said:
neuroanatomist said:
The 1D C is currently $500 more than the D5.

You can find them for $4500 used.

One of the biggest issues with the 1DC is that they are still about $8K new. If they were $4500 new, I think there would be a fantastic second life market arising for the 1DC with minimal effort on Canon's part. Instead, many are waiting/wishing/hoping for a 5DMk4 (or similar) for "budget" 4K usage.

Upvote 0
My 1DC is still an excellent tool and even in lowlight not far behind the A7S2 up to iso 25.600.

Tilt screen, focus peaking, EVF etc are very useful which is why for 4k video only, the A7II series is the much better choice - but if you want to shoot pictures as well, their buffer is a disaster and the 1DC is the only pro film/photo combi tool on the market to date.

The D5 might be a bit better as photo camera, but is weaker regarding 4K video - plus the D5 has to work with the weaker Nikkor lens lineup. No 8-15, no 11-24, no strong 100-400 available. So the result is: yes, the 1DC remains the combi king.

The very bad thing about the D5 is that Canon might decide to cut video specs on the 1DX2 now, as there is no pressure coming from Nikon. Which means the 1DC might still be on sale after the 1DX2 is released, as it remains to be a different and better 4K camera. Canon could cut stuff like C-Log and full 4096 cinema 4k size, which would make the 1DX2 still a good full 4K camera, but different to the 1DC and less interesting for film people (which is what Canon tries to achieve so they buy the C300II).

If Canon wants filmmakers and me to buy an 1DX2, they need to overexceed expectations and implement focus peaking, 4K 60fps, maybe even 4.5K video for cropping and other useful stuff. This is where the disadvantages against the A7II series would have a set of advantages towards the 1DX2 that makes it interesting. If Canon disappoints with specs and just remains on the 2012 1DC level, anybody aside from sports photographers can ignore the 1DX2.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
douglaurent said:
If Canon wants filmmakers and me to buy an 1DX2, they need to overexceed expectations and implement focus peaking, 4K 60fps, maybe even 4.5K video for cropping and other useful stuff. This is where the disadvantages against the A7II series would have a set of advantages towards the 1DX2 that makes it interesting. If Canon disappoints with specs and just remains on the 2012 1DC level, anybody aside from sports photographers can ignore the 1DX2.

I don't think they do. I dont even think Canon necessarily means this machine to truly take the place of the 1DC per se. It seems Canon (according to multiple rumor mills) is putting more stock in the 5 body to be their video DSLR. Yeah, they will have 4k in the 1DX2, but I'd be really surprised if they push this as a cinema device. I think they have 4k on it to say "We have 4k on it" but I don't expect this have anything more than 30FPS in 4k with maybe a C-Log profile if we're lucky. I don't think it will be nearly AS choked as the Nikon D5, but I don't it see it having a C100II type interface and cinema whistles. That said, the 1DX2 is still going to sell very, very well to not just sports guys but journalists, and high volume shooters alike. I just don't see a lot of cinema use (no matter what they do, in a body like a 1 series.

Upvote 0
douglaurent said:

It already uses massive heat sinks to keep the heat off the large sensor. For 60fps it would need water cooling or massive fans, no joke.

The Nikon is limited to 3 minute recording to prevent overheating.

The larger your sensor and the more weather sealing, the more problems heat causes for video.

A smartphone and many point ans shoot, APS-C and micro 4/3 cameras record 4k without heating issues. But all full frame sensors either overheat (Nikon / Sony), or they use massive heatsinks (Canon).

I don't think anyone really has a solution to this problem. Sony's cameras are simply shutting down, Nikon is limiting their clips to 3 minutes, and canon has chosen massive heat sinks. Neither is a real solution.

Upvote 0
Bennymiata said:
Seeing the new Nikon competition, they don't have to wory about putting GOOD 4k into the 1dx2 or 5d4. They can just use their 4 year old 1dc technology with the new cameras and they will still beat the competition.

However, I really do hope that Canon has listened to videographers and brings us good 4k in the new cameras and blow Nikon away.

Well as others have said elsewhere, the 1DxII is almost certainly finalised now, bar software tweaks. So this release can't have much, if any impact.

Upvote 0
Nininini said:
douglaurent said:

It already uses massive heat sinks to keep the heat off the large sensor. For 60fps it would need water cooling or massive fans, no joke.

The Nikon is limited to 3 minute recording to prevent overheating.

The larger your sensor and the more weather sealing, the more problems heat causes for video.

A smartphone and many point ans shoot, APS-C and micro 4/3 cameras record 4k without heating issues. But all full frame sensors either overheat (Nikon / Sony), or they use massive heatsinks (Canon).

I don't think anyone really has a solution to this problem. Sony's cameras are simply shutting down, Nikon is limiting their clips to 3 minutes, and canon has chosen massive heat sinks. Neither is a real solution.

Canon had 4 years to figure out how to make 60fps work. A small sized GH4 can do 1080p 100fps. 4K25fps do rarely make the small A7 bodies stop, it just happens in hot places, with battery grip installed and when used for very long minutes. Canon could give us 4K60fps with a 3 minute limit! That would be a nice compromise.

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
Bennymiata said:

Well as others have said elsewhere, the 1DxII is almost certainly finalised now, bar software tweaks. So this release can't have much, if any impact.

I am pretty sure within several months time left, Canon has the chance to cut some features, or add something they have prepared as an option. Unless manufacturing begins they can always do at least software tuning. Why should they give away this great timeframe opportunity?

Upvote 0