Canon EOS 5DS and Canon EOS 5DS R see massive price drops

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS 5DS and Canon EOS 5DS R ended production a long time ago, but there’s still stock out there. This week we see a massive price drop on both cameras.

Canon EOS 5DS Body $1299 
Canon EOS 5DS R Body $1499 (Adorama has yet to drop the price on this one)

I don’t think this tells us that a high-resolution EOS R camera is in the immediate future, the EOS R5 maintains a good pixel count. I do expect a high-resolution EOS R model sometime in 2021

Continue reading...

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Huh, that’s an extraordinary price for an excellent camera. Not that we are seeing those prices in the UK, and it does look like 5DS model has sold out most places. Seem to be plenty of SR models about but costing much more than those US prices. ( I haven’t trawled through grey imports though).
So is the R5 four times better ?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Huh, that’s an extraordinary price for an excellent camera. Not that we are seeing those prices in the UK, and it does look like 5DS model has sold out most places. Seem to be plenty of SR models about but costing much more than those US prices. ( I haven’t trawled through grey imports though).
So is the R5 four times better ?
I do not have a R5 but I would say NO! For landscapes I assume they are equal (unless someone likes to boost shadows 5 stops!).
For night photography and birding I assume R5 is better but for still birds (and big flying ones) 5DsR is more than adequate. I even had used 5DsR with 400DOII to shoot a swift (using all points since it was flying like crazy).

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
This reminds me of what happened with the 1Ds3 when the 5D2 came out. The 5D2 was so much cheaper with the same resolution that nobody wanted the 1Ds3. A local camera store had two 1Ds3's in stock and ended up selling them, on ebay, more than a year later. Until today, the R5 was a much better camera with about the same resolution as the 5Ds at about the same price. That $1300 price for the 5Ds is awfully tempting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Ive had my 5DS from about 6 months after it was released. Since then and still now it’s my go too portrait camera. That resolution has allowed different crops of the same shot and some pretty impressive enlargement especially shooting at 100 ISO. Mine has been mainly used in the studio with artificial lights although I did use it on a safari to Pilansberg in South Africa.
I will be switching completely to mirrorless over the next few years so it will eventually go but it’s been a fantastic servant.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Apparently the rumors production of the 5DS has stopped, and it is about to be discontinued are true.

For those who have both the R5 & 5DS R, a Camera Labs review said "In photo terms, it may be numerically lower than the 50 Megapixel 5DS and 5DSr, but Canon explained to me the use of a new low pass filter actually allows the R5 to out-resolve those models, even the 5DSr with its filter-cancelling path". Have you made a side by side comparison and found that statement to be wrong?

Upvote 0