Canon EOS 80D Will Be The Next DSLR Replaced [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re being told that 2018 will be a slow DSLR year for Canon, but that we’ll likely a see a replacement to the EOS 80D next, and it’s possible that its coming in late 2018.</p>
<p>While a EOS 7D Mark II replacement will be more exciting to the Canon community, there is absolutely no signs of an EOS 7D Mark III announcement coming any time soon.</p>
<p>While no specifications are available at this time, we’re told that internally Canon plans to put DPAF equipped 4K in all non-Rebels going forward. This shouldn’t come as any sort of surprise, but it is worth noting.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Shouldn't be terribly surprised that the 90D would be next (provided no new SLR product lines are coming). Prior estimates based on Canon's historical track record would imply that it would be next.

In general, Canon doesn't go faster between product iterations -- they typically maintain a certain cadence of release for a given product line and either repeat it or slightly extend it (earthquakes and such have also delayed things at times).

But I had been waiting to see if the D850 or (especially) the D500 sales would spur Canon to shake up their release timing. The 7D3 and 5DS are surely under more competitive pressure now than they were at launch. But if Canon stays on it's 7D 5 year / 5DS 4-ish year cadence, it would imply that either those two Nikon rigs are not actually selling that well or (more likely) they are selling just fine but not stealing any Canon marketshare in the process.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Chaitanya said:
Any new sensors in pipeline?

The 80D already got hooked up with the 'latest' Canon on-chip ADC architecture, right? And 24 MP x 7 fps is at relative market parity against the D7500.

If you argue this product line is Canon's best true hybrid of video/stills in crop, 4K is it's only vital missing piece. One could argue that Canon could just put a not-terribly-cropped 4K on the current 80D, rebadge it as a 90D and call it good. That said, Canon will surely do more. Put in a newer DIGIC and up the fps slightly, beef up the AF setup a bit, possibly make it lighter for vlogging, etc.

Also, announcing some more new Nano USM lenses compatible with the PZ-E1 Power Zoom Adapter at the same time might make sense for such a video-capable rig.

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I expect the 80D to be updated as well, there is nothing wrong with the existing one, but perhaps a few new functions and a faster processor will add firmware related capabilities. I don't expect a all new sensor, but they may have tweaks for the existing one.

New models boost sales, so there is a incentive to put out a update for a model that is expected to sell well.

Lots of potential buyers may be waiting to see what a mirrorless model will bring, I expect it to bring a higher price for a camera that costs less to make.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
Shouldn't be terribly surprised that the 90D would be next (provided no new SLR product lines are coming). Prior estimates based on Canon's historical track record would imply that it would be next.

In general, Canon doesn't go faster between product iterations -- they typically maintain a certain cadence of release for a given product line and either repeat it or slightly extend it (earthquakes and such have also delayed things at times).

But I had been waiting to see if the D850 or (especially) the D500 sales would spur Canon to shake up their release timing. The 7D3 and 5DS are surely under more competitive pressure now than they were at launch. But if Canon stays on it's 7D 5 year / 5DS 4-ish year cadence, it would imply that either those two Nikon rigs are not actually selling that well or (more likely) they are selling just fine but not stealing any Canon marketshare in the process.

- A

Right.

The 80D remains my favorite camera for a lot of things. I'm really curious as to what changes. Almost certainly the sensor. More 7DII features, like the AF system/options? Tiny bit faster AF? Larger field of focus, like the Nikon? Maybe an AF joystick? Almost certainly, WiFi and Bluetooth functionality like the 6DII.

The only thing that could likely put me in the market for a 90D, though, is a better low-light performing sensor.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
rsdofny said:
Why not make the XXD a mirrorless camera with DSLR style body? It has all the electronics in M5/M6. Just make it bigger so that people can use with the EFS/EF lens (with or w/o an adapter).

They might do that someday, but:

(a) Canon is very fond of its naming conventions. Simply offering the next product in line without a mirror but with the same name structure as the SLR that came before it could be confusing, and

(b) Why would do that right in the middle of the product portfolio with the XXD line? Wouldn't they start at the bottom (i.e. XXXXD, Rebel, etc.) and climb their way up the portfolio over time?

- A

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
ahsanford said:
Chaitanya said:
Any new sensors in pipeline?

The 80D already got hooked up with the 'latest' Canon on-chip ADC architecture, right? And 24 MP x 7 fps is at relative market parity against the D7500...

You are the keeper of release history for Canon Rumors Forum readers. Can you think of any time that Canon has not put a new sensor in the next generation of XXD or XD models? I can't.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 28mp sensor in the 90D. Nothing too extreme, but a slight boost. Especially because (using the 5DIV vs. 1DX II as the example) there doesn't seem to be a big price to pay in noise performance with higher MP counts these days.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
ahsanford said:
The 80D already got hooked up with the 'latest' Canon on-chip ADC architecture, right? And 24 MP x 7 fps is at relative market parity against the D7500...

You are the keeper of release history for Canon Rumors Forum readers. Can you think of any time that Canon has not put a new sensor in the next generation of XXD or XD models? I can't.

New sensor at all (vs. prior model in that line)? Yeah, that's rare. The days of recycling that 18 MP crop sensor would appear to be behind us.

I don't track this too closely but it's more than just 'new' vs. 'existing'. I think it's a combo of MP + sensor architecture, which is much more of a mixed bag where a 'new' sensor can arrive that isn't all that much better:

5D2 --> 5D3 = same architecture and similar resolution
5D3 --> 5D4 = big step forward in both (+8 MP and the big base ISO jump for on-chip ADC)

6D1 --> 6D2 = the resolution jumped but the on-chip ADC never arrived; some folks were pretty p---ed

7D1 --> 7D2 = same architecture and slight bump in res
7D2 --> 7D3 = surely will get (at least) the 80D on-chip architecture and better high ISO performance

70D --> 80D = +4 MP and the big base ISO jump for on-chip ADC
80D --> 90D = a few more MP? Unlikely to smash through new barriers again so soon

It's all speculation of course, but Canon appears to offer a combination of incremental bumps over time and a one-time bumps through the on-chip ADC move. The 80D already got that second bump while the 7D line has not. So I expect the 7D3 sensor to be a significant improvement while the 90D will likely just be a small step forward. I could be wrong.

- A

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
ahsanford said:
Also: why is no one who has been screaming for an accelerated 7D3 or 5DS2 freaking out over this news?

We've already been told there will be no 7DIII in 2018. I don't see this as significantly impacting the 7DIII or 5Ds II release schedule. In fact, I'm anxious to see what is in the 90D, because it sets the floor for the 7DIII.

AlanF said:
...I see a lot of D500s in the bird hides here so the sales are probably moving along although Canon still leads.

ahsanford said:
...I had been waiting to see if the D850 or (especially) the D500 sales would spur Canon to shake up their release timing. The 7D3 and 5DS are surely under more competitive pressure now than they were at launch. But if Canon stays on it's 7D 5 year / 5DS 4-ish year cadence, it would imply that either those two Nikon rigs are not actually selling that well or (more likely) they are selling just fine but not stealing any Canon marketshare in the process.

Some things to remember. The D500 was delayed far longer than the 7DII and in fact, most thought Nikon has abandoned that market segment. That meant a lot of pent up demand among Nikon shooters and a big jump in specs from the previous model. But, despite what we read on internet forums, it didn't necessarily mean Canon users were switching to Nikon.

Anecdotal evidence like the brand of cameras one sees in bird hides is simply anecdotal evidence. And, it's not a zero sum game. More Nikons does not translate into fewer Canons.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
unfocused said:

30D had exactly the same sensor as the 20D, but that was a while ago.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
ahsanford said:

- A

Right.

The 80D remains my favorite camera for a lot of things. I'm really curious as to what changes. Almost certainly the sensor. More 7DII features, like the AF system/options? Tiny bit faster AF? Larger field of focus, like the Nikon? Maybe an AF joystick? Almost certainly, WiFi and Bluetooth functionality like the 6DII.

The only thing that could likely put me in the market for a 90D, though, is a better low-light performing sensor.

Canon would really have to up their game and load the 90D up with goodies for me to justify parting with my 80D. I shoot photos so whatever they do on the video end with it is rather meaningless to me.

I'm predicting M50 parts glued and screwed in to an 80D body with a 90D badge on the front of it.....perhaps 26 megapixels and likely the best 1080p video Canon DSLR to date. (with a crippled-cropped 4k like the M50)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
ahsanford said:
Also: why is no one who has been screaming for an accelerated 7D3 or 5DS2 freaking out over this news?

We've already been told there will be no 7DIII in 2018. I don't see this as significantly impacting the 7DIII or 5Ds II release schedule. In fact, I'm anxious to see what is in the 90D, because it sets the floor for the 7DIII.

You're showing common sense and patience, then. Others here have implied the 5y 7D cycle may shorten up now that Nikon isn't sitting dormant in this sector, and others have argued the 5DS is in a weird place timing-wise versus the 5D4 such that 5DS users can end up going years without the latest 5-series tech onboard: on-chip ADC, wifi, touch screen for the DPAF, etc.

I happen to think Canon is more of a creature of habit than a crowd-pleaser, so this '90D is coming first' announcement makes sense to me, too.

- A

Upvote 0