Canon EOS M adapter problems.

Jul 21, 2010
cheap ebay eosm to ef adapter
Hate to say it, but you usually get what you pay for. Buy a Canon version, or buy another cheap one and take your chances. It's possible that if you get a couple of years out of a cheap, 3rd party adapter that still ends up being cheaper than the Canon version.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Hate to say it, but you usually get what you pay for. Buy a Canon version, or buy another cheap one and take your chances. It's possible that if you get a couple of years out of a cheap, 3rd party adapter that still ends up being cheaper than the Canon version.

IF I go for third party, I avoid the cheapest third party product. I believe my first EF-M adapter was from Vello, and it caused me no problems (it was $70 IIRC, versus $200 list for the Canon items). I later bought some refurb Canon ones (at least, I think they were refurbs) on e-Bay.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
I do not get why the adapters are so expensive. I paid some $35 for the Canon one in 2015 when they were dumping them on eBay. The normal price is excessive, about and as 50 mm f/1.8 STM which I most buy it for.
The straight up adapters are literally spacers with electrical interconnects. No logic or chips needed, EF-M natively can speak to EF lenses. I have no idea why Canon charges so much. Commlite did the same job for $40 and was perfect at it.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The straight up adapters are literally spacers with electrical interconnects. No logic or chips needed, EF-M natively can speak to EF lenses. I have no idea why Canon charges so much. Commlite did the same job for $40 and was perfect at it.

As a general policy...unless I know something (i.e., reviews known not to be shills paid by the manufacturer, etc), I won't buy the cheapest alternative. I do recall buying two ef-m adapters for about $70 apiece and a Canon rep seeing them in my bag one time.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
As a general policy...unless I know something (i.e., reviews known not to be shills paid by the manufacturer, etc), I won't buy the cheapest alternative. I do recall buying two ef-m adapters for about $70 apiece and a Canon rep seeing them in my bag one time.
I mean that's a choice, I'm just saying, as someone who has nothing to gain either way, that I've used both Viltrox and Commlite adapters and they work without an issue or concern. But to each their own.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I mean that's a choice, I'm just saying, as someone who has nothing to gain either way, that I've used both Viltrox and Commlite adapters and they work without an issue or concern. But to each their own.
OK, with this info, I might take a chance on them in the future. (I was describing what I do when I have no real information. Now I have some, thanks!)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0