Canon EOS M3 Coming to North America? [CR2]

Dylan777 said:
You made great points in term of large aperture FF mirrorless lenses. Let's not forget about the zooms too - not really size and weight saving.

When we look at Canon M, Sony a7 and Fuji X series none of these cameras are pocketable. Sony a7 packed with 35mm sensor and the body size is about the same. When we really want light/small FE28mm, FE35mm and FE55mm are great lenses. A7s is clearly shows us, we can get lot more with f4 lenses.

I'm sound like a Sony guy right? I was introduced to Canon DSLR late 2008 - 40D, 60D, 7D, 5D II, 5D III and now 1Dx. These are great cameras. I'm now also own a7s. To be honest, the a7s series is not bad at all ;)

I'm hoping the 5DIV has what the C300II has -- 15 stops of DR throughout its ISO range.

Upvote 0

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
Is it just me or does Canon seem lost in the woods?

With the a6000 (and similar units) dominating as it has, why would anyone even look at the M3? And now with the A7RII, I don't know how much longer I can even bother to keep my Canon gear.

Man, checking in here just makes me sad anymore. And let me guess, the 5D4 will have the same old .5-1 stop improvement, with the same shadow noise. Sigh... I didn't leave you, Canon, you left me.

:(

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
justsomedude said:

With the a6000 (and similar units) dominating as it has, why would anyone even look at the M3?

I don't think there's a soul alive that thinks the EOS-M platform was built to compete with anything or anyone. It was built as:

1) An experiment to net Canon some experience at designing/buliding/marketing a mirrorless ILC product.

2) A second body for Canon users with a lot of glass

3) A small effort to placate Canon owners with mirrorless leanings that Canon will offer/support/grow such a product line.

Nowhere on that list is the phrase 'Be the best', 'Offer the most comprehensive', etc. The difference between what's on that list and being the biggest/best mirrorless company is probably two more zeros behind Canon's investment. So Canon is perfectly happy to offer something very rudimentary and non-sexy until they have concrete numbers that show their imaging business is tanking specifically at the hands of mirrorless.

And then they will come big, likely with a FF mirrorless platform. But we're not there yet.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
justsomedude said:

With the a6000 (and similar units) dominating as it has, why would anyone even look at the M3?

I don't think there's a soul alive that thinks the EOS-M platform was built to compete with anything or anyone. It was built as:

1) An experiment to net Canon some experience at designing/buliding/marketing a mirrorless ILC product.

2) A second body for Canon users with a lot of glass

3) A small effort to placate Canon owners with mirrorless leanings that Canon will offer/support/grow such a product line.

Nowhere on that list is the phrase 'Be the best', 'Offer the most comprehensive', etc. The difference between what's on that list and being the biggest/best mirrorless company is probably two more zeros behind Canon's investment. So Canon is perfectly happy to offer something very rudimentary and non-sexy until they have concrete numbers that show their imaging business is tanking specifically at the hands of mirrorless.

And then they will come big, likely with a FF mirrorless platform. But we're not there yet.

- A

+1

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
It is not the EF-M lenses that are lacklustre. The EOS-M bodies - including M3 - are totally lacklustre. Subpar sensor, subpar AF-system, and no EVF at all, not even a subpar one.
The EF-M lens lineup is very well sorted. All of them more than wortj their very reasonable price. The 11-22 is actually the very best APS-C ultra-wide angle not only from canon but in the entire market, mirrorless and DSLR. No fuji or sony lens to match it. The EF-m 22/2.0 is great as well, nothing lacklustre about it, despite tiny size and refreshingly low price. eF-M 18-55 is easily as good as the best other APS-C kit zooms. The 55-200 is fully competitive with any other similar APS-C telezoom currently available.
The only thing lacking is a similarly and compact EF-M short tele/portrait prime: EF-M 75/1.8 STM would be great. Ehat is not need is a 55/1.8 sonyzeiss lens for a grand or a 35/2.8 at 600 euro or some of those ludicrously expensive abd fat guji x-lenses like a totally srnseless APS-C only 56/1.2 lens if the same effect can be had with a 120 euro 50/1.8 STM on FF body.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AvTvM said:
It is not the EF-M lenses that are lacklustre. The EOS-M bodies - including M3 - are totally lacklustre. Subpar sensor, subpar AF-system, and no EVF at all, not even a subpar one.
The EF-M lens lineup is very well sorted. All of them more than wortj their very reasonable price. The 11-22 is actually the very best APS-C ultra-wide angle not only from canon but in the entire market, mirrorless and DSLR. No fuji or sony lens to match it. The EF-m 22/2.0 is great as well, nothing lacklustre about it, despite tiny size and refreshingly low price. eF-M 18-55 is easily as good as the best other APS-C kit zooms. The 55-200 is fully competitive with any other similar APS-C telezoom currently available.
The only thing lacking is a similarly and compact EF-M short tele/portrait prime: EF-M 75/1.8 STM would be great. Ehat is not need is a 55/1.8 sonyzeiss lens for a grand or a 35/2.8 at 600 euro or some of those ludicrously expensive abd fat guji x-lenses like a totally srnseless APS-C only 56/1.2 lens if the same effect can be had with a 120 euro 50/1.8 STM on FF body.

Respectfully, there's more to a lens than the 'sharpness per dollar' value proposition -- otherwise, the entire market would shoot with the 40 f/2.8 STM and the new 50 f/1.8 STM.

Personally, I'd like the EF-M lenses to focus before next Tuesday -- and that's not entirely the camera body's fault. Until there are native EF-M USM lenses, the size savings of mirrorless are lost as I'll always need an adapter.

Canon needs to give us a reason to take EOS-M seriously. Fast focusing lenses and an integral EVF would be a great start.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Ring-USM AF as found in the better L lenses is best. But STM us not bad either. With the possible exception of the 22/2.0 slow focusing with EF-M lenses is absolutely and entirely the M/M2/m3 bodies fault. The EF-M 18-55 STM is ea total clone of the EF-S version, which focuses rather decently on a 7D II. Canon has just not been able and willing to stick a really good, fully competitive with Sony A6000 PF-AF/hybrid AF system into any of the M bodies to date. cameras.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AvTvM said:
Ring-USM AF as found in the better L lenses is best. But STM us not bad either. With the possible exception of the 22/2.0 slow focusing with EF-M lenses is absolutely and entirely the M/M2/m3 bodies fault. The EF-M 18-55 STM is ea total clone of the EF-S version, which focuses rather decently on a 7D II. Canon has just not been able and willing to stick a really good, fully competitive with Sony A6000 PF-AF/hybrid AF system into any of the M bodies to date. cameras.

Fair points on the body AF component to this, but I'm not being clear on the lenses. I don't want to focus rather decently -- I want to focus instantly. USM most closely fulfills that expectation of mine.

- A

Upvote 0

Sportsgal501

Got hit in the face by a skateboard got the shot!
Masa@CanonRMRs said:
How come EOS M2 and M3 isn't on the North America market in the first place?

The M1 didn't sell much? or is it too small for you guys or something?

Did they even advertise for the M1?
Sounds like it was an experiment to test the mirror-less market, I would have brought if I knew about it.

Upvote 0

Masa@CanonRMRs

May the EOS be with you.
Apr 13, 2015
Japan
Sportsgal501 said:
Masa@CanonRMRs said:
How come EOS M2 and M3 isn't on the North America market in the first place?

The M1 didn't sell much? or is it too small for you guys or something?

Did they even advertise for the M1?
Sounds like it was an experiment to test the mirror-less market, I would have brought if I knew about it.

Well, I don't know about North America. But in Japan, Canon did huge advertisement for EOS M1.
And people who bought the product complain about "slow AF".
Personally, I didn't care about that problem because I wasn't expect M1 for sport-shooting or any other moving-target photos.

Anyway,

In Japan, the M1 sold very good numbers, especially after the price dropped.
Maybe it's not the way Canon wanted, but many people end up owning EF-M lenses.
So Canon can develop M2 and M3.

Maybe Canon thinks there's not much EF-M lense owners in North America.
I don't know.

But if they start selling M3 in U.S., go try it out.
As the one of EOS M and M3 owners, the M3 has improve much, much more from M1.

(Still, not recommend for sport-shooting though.)

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
ahsanford said:
AvTvM said:

Fair points on the body AF component to this, but I'm not being clear on the lenses. I don't want to focus rather decently -- I want to focus instantly. USM most closely fulfills that expectation of mine.

- A

Lenses that focus instantly, wow that isn't a high bar or anything. ;)

The STM in the pancakes lenses (EF-M 22, EF-S 24, and EF 40) are slow (I find them reasonable as long as you are pulling through the whole focal range, MFD to infinity). However, the STM in the kit lenses etc that I have used are on par with USM for focus speed. A little slower then the fastest USM (70-200 variants, 85 f/1.8 etc) but probably faster then the slowest USMs (think 85 f/1.2L).

The fact is that the M just does not focus very fast. It also needs higher contrast, less movement, etc to focus as well compared to any of the DSLRs. I was surprised (disappointed) with how much it struggled to focus at times at my young daughters swim lessons.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that Canon USA is currently discussing whether or not to bring the EOS M3 to the United States. Discussions are ongoing and a decision will be made soon.</p></p>

A quick search for "ef-m" on shop.usa.canon.com site shows these EF-M lenses:
- 22mm
- 55-200
- 11-22

and two EOS M3 kits will be available on 10/4/15.

I think it's fair to say that Canon USA has made their decision!!

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/SearchDisplay?categoryId=&storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=18&searchTerm=ef-m

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
heart+eyes said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that Canon USA is currently discussing whether or not to bring the EOS M3 to the United States. Discussions are ongoing and a decision will be made soon.</p></p>

A quick search for "ef-m" on shop.usa.canon.com site shows these EF-M lenses:
- 22mm
- 55-200
- 11-22

and two EOS M3 kits will be available on 10/4/15.

I think it's fair to say that Canon USA has made their decision!!

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/SearchDisplay?categoryId=&storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=18&searchTerm=ef-m

That is a great find. Well played!

Upvote 0