Canon EOS M6 MkII front dial problem

Kuja

EOS M50
Oct 8, 2012
www.kujucev.com
Hello everybody,

My Canon EOS M6 MkII has developed a problem with the front control dial around the shutter button.
Sometimes, when I just touch it or tap it without actually turning it, it starts randomly changing whatever parameter is assigned to it.
Since I must touch the dial when I press the shutter button, this behaviour sometimes results in wrong exposures, which can be very annoying!

Here's the video of the problem: https://youtu.be/cdeqLC7JAYo

In this video I chose to demonstrate the problem by showing uncontrolled fast scrolling bursts through camera menus, that are trigered just by touching or light tapping the control dial. This way it might be easier for you to see what is the problem about, than trying to catch a glimpse of the abrupt undesired changes in exposure, f-stops or ISO settings that can also occur just by touching the dial.
Sometimes, when I "work" the dial by turning it longer and a bit more vigourously, the problem can be diminished but it never disappears completely.
The problem is not equally present on all "click" positions of the dial, some positions are not affected, some mildly, and some are really bad.
Also, the problem can disappear for days and then return. This makes it harder to demonstrate it if I decide to take the camera to the repair shop.

Did any of you experience something similar with your M camera?
If yes, were you able to solve the problem?

Last edited:

koenkooi

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
I see something similar, but not as severely: in Av mode it will open up the aperture a few stops, if I keep spinning the dial the aperture goes f/1.4 -> f/16 -> f/8 -> f/16 -> f/8 - f/16. In regular use it will go from f/2 to f/1.4 occasionally. I thought that was a software bug, but after reading your post, it seems to happen when I press the shutter button halfway. Not always, just occasionally.

candyman

EOS 5D Mark IV
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
I use both the Canon M5 and the M6 MK II.
The front control dial around the shutter button on the M6 is, also in my case, much more flexible/loose than the same dial on the M5. Though it does not (yet) change setting(s)
If you push that same dial with your finger (like in your video) on the M5, it won't move.
Seems like a construction problem to me. But, perhaps this fits within the specs of the M6. I am concerned that the same problem will arise for me in the long run.
It could be interesting to find out if this only occurs for certain productionnumbers. Maybe it is a constructionproblem.

Kuja

EOS M50
Oct 8, 2012
www.kujucev.com
it seems to happen when I press the shutter button halfway. Not always, just occasionally.
It started the same way in my case.
At first, when working on movie set, I had couple of photos that were overexposed and I wondered what happened since I was using manual mode under controlled lighting.
Then the problem started to get gradually worse, up to the point that on bad days I had to fight with the control dial since it was constantly throwing my exposures off.

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Hello everybody,

My Canon EOS M6 MkII has developed a problem with the front control dial around the shutter button.
Sometimes, when I just touch it or tap it without actually turning it, it starts randomly changing whatever parameter is assigned to it.
Since I must touch the dial when I press the shutter button, this behaviour sometimes results in wrong exposures, which can be very annoying!

Here's the video of the problem: https://youtu.be/cdeqLC7JAYo

In this video I chose to demonstrate the problem by showing uncontrolled fast scrolling bursts through camera menus, that are trigered just by touching or light tapping the control dial. This way it might be easier for you to see what is the problem about, than trying to catch a glimpse of the abrupt undesired changes in exposure, f-stops or ISO settings that can also occur just by touching the dial.
Sometimes, when I "work" the dial by turning it longer and a bit more vigourously, the problem can be diminished but it never disappears completely.
The problem is not equally present on all "click" positions of the dial, some positions are not affected, some mildly, and some are really bad.
Also, the problem can disappear for days and then return. This makes it harder to demonstrate it if I decide to take the camera to the repair shop.

Did any of you experience something similar with your M camera?
If yes, were you able to solve the problem?
It seems like a visit to the repair center would be the best option since the issue is well-documented, reproducible, and appears to be linked to hardware.

koenkooi

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
As expected, Kameraexpress.nl was extremely unhelpful and blamed it on 'software'. I had another go at using a bit of compressed air to blow underneath the dial and I haven't noticed the issue in the past 3 days.
I'm hoping the issue doesn't come back, if it does I'm going to try CPS repair.