Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

tarjei99

EOS M50
Dec 27, 2013
If the R3 is 24 Mpx, I'm a bit relieved, because that limits the price somewhat.

I would not be surprised if the price is at the R5 level because of the more professional features. e.g. better battery, superior AF, high frame rate, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: neuroanatomist

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
If the R3 is 24 Mpx, I'm a bit relieved, because that limits the price somewhat.

I would not be surprised if the price is at the R5 level because of the more professional features. e.g. better battery, superior AF, high frame rate, etc.
My guess $4,500-5,000 US

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
30 mp is enough of a jump from my 1DX mark II that I would definitely pre-order the camera day one. 24 mp just doesn't feel particularly as future proof to me, so then it would turn back into a decision for me between the R3 or just getting a second R5 with a battery grip while I wait for the R1.

24 mp also makes me feel like they could pull off way more than 30 fps.. The 1DX mark III was doing 5.5K raw at friggin' 60 frames per second. Why not do 50-60 FPS raw photos?

Reactions: privatebydesign

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
30 mp is enough of a jump from my 1DX mark II that I would definitely pre-order the camera day one. 24 mp just doesn't feel particularly as future proof to me, so then it would turn back into a decision for me between the R3 or just getting a second R5 with a battery grip while I wait for the R1.

24 mp also makes me feel like they could pull off way more than 30 fps.. The 1DX mark III was doing 5.5K raw at friggin' 60 frames per second. Why not do 50-60 FPS raw photos?
Unless Canon updated the firmware, the 1DX III loses a lot of functionality at 60 FPS unless cropped.

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Al Bello, one of Getty's staff photographers, uploaded a bunch of photos from swimming today where a large chunk of the photos are *exactly* 24 megapixels, with some being slight crops around 23 megapixels. There's other ones taken with the exact resolution of the 1DX mark III, so these aren't upsized 1DX images, and there were some R5 images that were used as a remote which are kept around full 45 resolution. I doubt it's a coincidence that there's dozens of exactly 24 megapixel images in the set. Even cropping you wouldn't get that perfect.

Getty has a contract with Canon to only use Canon gear, so these also aren't A9II images or anything like that.

privatebydesign

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
Al Bello, one of Getty's staff photographers, uploaded a bunch of photos from swimming today where a large chunk of the photos are *exactly* 24 megapixels, with some being slight crops around 23 megapixels. There's other ones taken with the exact resolution of the 1DX mark III, so these aren't upsized 1DX images, and there were some R5 images that were used as a remote which are kept around full 45 resolution. I doubt it's a coincidence that there's dozens of exactly 24 megapixel images in the set. Even cropping you wouldn't get that perfect.

Getty has a contract with Canon to only use Canon gear, so these also aren't A9II images or anything like that.

Do you know how much time you are saving me with this detective work? :)

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020

Thank you for sharing the link.

It's possible that part of the agreement photographers have with Canon is that they will not post R3 images with resolution greater than 24MP. Or, this is the highest resolution the R3 offers.

We don't know for sure that some of these are not upsized 1DX images. Some images from that body could have been upsized and others not. These can also be crops from higher MP cameras.

Lots of images taken by other photographers on Getty Images are also 24MP, even if they are not taken by Canon shooters. Could be a storage space thing or something since they have so many images coming in at the same time.

While this is all very interesting, and suggests a certain narrative, it is not definitive.

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Thank you for sharing the link.

It's possible that part of the agreement photographers have with Canon is that they will not post R3 images with resolution greater than 24MP. Or, this is the highest resolution the R3 offers.

We don't know for sure that some of these are not upsized 1DX images. Some images from that body could have been upsized and others not. These can also be crops from higher MP cameras.

Lots of images taken by other photographers on Getty Images are also 24MP, even if they are not taken by Canon shooters. Could be a storage space thing or something since they have so many images coming in at the same time.

While this is all very interesting, and suggests a certain narrative, it is not definitive.
I'm about 90% sure that the R3 is 24 megapixels at this point looking through everything.

The "upsized to 24 mp" argument holds little water with the 23.5/23.2 megapixel crops in there(how much time are you wasting by exporting, cropping, and then exporting if that's the case?), and exact 1dx3 resolution images/even lower res crops showing that the workflow for this specific event isn't resizing. The ones I looked at were all from the same swimming event in the same timeframe, which wouldn't be filled with different workflows from one photographer. It's just not a storage space thing to be upsizing 20 mp images to a higher resolution or downsizing higher MP to "save storage" either. Other Getty Images photogs are using R5s at full resolution and uploading those files live during the games.

No one out there is cropping dozens of images to exactly 24 megapixels, either. If you look at the bigger picture of all of their images, the crops are always random numbers of megapixels because their workflow probably includes PhotoMechanic's crop tool, which is drawing the rectangle you want on the screen, and normally gives a non-specific amount of MP leftover.

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I'm about 90% sure that the R3 is 24 megapixels at this point looking through everything.

The "upsized to 24 mp" argument holds little water with the 23.5/23.2 megapixel crops in there(how much time are you wasting by exporting, cropping, and then exporting if that's the case?), and exact 1dx3 resolution images/even lower res crops showing that the workflow for this specific event isn't resizing. The ones I looked at were all from the same swimming event in the same timeframe, which wouldn't be filled with different workflows from one photographer. It's just not a storage space thing to be upsizing 20 mp images to a higher resolution or downsizing higher MP to "save storage" either. Other Getty Images photogs are using R5s at full resolution and uploading those files live during the games.

No one out there is cropping dozens of images to exactly 24 megapixels, either. If you look at the bigger picture of all of their images, the crops are always random numbers of megapixels because their workflow probably includes PhotoMechanic's crop tool, which is drawing the rectangle you want on the screen, and normally gives a non-specific amount of MP leftover.
But could they be downsizing because they've signed an agreement not to post any images larger than 24MP? I admit 24MP is looking more and more likely.

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
But could they be downsizing because they've signed an agreement not to post any images larger than 24MP? I admit 24MP is looking more and more likely.
This is the possibility that I was pointing out. It can't be ruled out, based on the information that we have. It's a more appealing narrative to me as someone interested in small wildlife than the alternative, a camera maxed out at 24MP. I know that won't make it true, but I am still hoping for the best.
I think the evidence is compelling, but I'm not quite ready to give up the 45MP or 30MP dream yet.

Also, what is the likelihood that the R3 is exactly 24MP? Certainly possible (R5 is 45MP), but less common (5DS R is 50.6, 90D is 32.5, 5D m4 is 30.4, 1 DX iii and R6 are 20.1, R is 30.3, RP is 26.2, etc.)

Last edited:

neuroanatomist

CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
How many Getty photographers shoot RAW? How many sports photographers shoot RAW? Even if there are some with R3 who do, they’d be limited to some unreleased version of DPP for them, that Canon would have needed to provide.

Far more likely they’re all shooting JPG, and quite probable that the cameras Canon puts in their hands can only output JPG files. Thus, Canon could simply set the firmware in those cameras to output only 24 MP files.

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
How many Getty photographers shoot RAW? How many sports photographers shoot RAW? Even if there are some with R3 who do, they’d be limited to some unreleased version of DPP for them, that Canon would have needed to provide.

Far more likely they’re all shooting JPG, and quite probable that the cameras Canon puts in their hands can only output JPG files. Thus, Canon could simply set the firmware in those cameras to output only 24 MP files.

Although with other images at native, I would think the 24mp is the most likely. However @neuroanatomist made a good point. An R5 is 44.8 @ L and 22.5 @ M jpeg settings. There is nothing stating they were not limited to using M.

Reactions: FrenchFry

neuroanatomist

CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Although with other images at native, I would think the 24mp is the most likely. However @neuroanatomist made a good point. An R5 is 44.8 @ L and 22.5 @ M jpeg settings. There is nothing stating they were not limited to using M.
It doesn’t even need to be M jpg size. Would be simple for Canon to code a fixed jpg output of 6000x4000 pixels regardless of the sensor MP count.

unfocused

EOS-1D X Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com

What are you looking at? I see that Getty offers rights to use images in three sizes – small, medium and large. Are you referring to the sizes quoted there? If so, that means nothing.

Every time I shoot any sports event, after I'm done processing the files I send the final files through the Photoshop script that resizes them and converts them to jpgs (From PSDs) I have one setting for photos that will end up on the web and another larger size in case the photos are needed later for print. It takes hardly any time at all.

These photographer are not posting or processing anything themselves. Their files are transferred to editors who select the best frames and to techs who process those frames. No doubt, Getty has custom scripts that resize the processed file so they can offer them in three sizes for anyone to purchase the usage rights.

I apologize if you are looking at something else, but if you are looking at the sizes Getty is offering the images in, that means zero, zip, nada.

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
It doesn’t even need to be M jpg size. Would be simple for Canon to code a fixed jpg output of 6000x4000 pixels regardless of the sensor MP count.
True, but that was just an example. However, from a programmer perspective... it would be far easier to use/remove a setting that already exists.

HotPixels

EOS M50
Mar 6, 2014

I don't think the assumption that all photographers shooting for Getty are automatically using Canon holds true.

I just checked their site for Olympic photos...there are several by one photographer, François-Xavier Marit, of AF-P. He is a Nikon shooter. He tags a lot of his IG photos with #nikon and #nikonfr.

Nikon featured him a while back in an article on their global NPS website:
https://nps.nikonimaging.com/interview/marit/

And indeed, many of his images are exactly 24MP.

So I think that while those directly employed by Getty may only use Canon, perhaps they also contract out to others for some of their work.

But regardless, the assumption that all photos of the Olympics offered by Getty Images are taken with Canon is incorrect.