Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 support added to Adobe software

This is true. But that will not change until there's new hardware which could take years. I think it was a poor choice on Canon's side to use a codec that even high end PC's can't handle. I have a Threadripper 3970X ($2k for the cpu alone) and it can manage to decode a single r5 stream in Premiere, but once I layer two clips over each other the party's over.
Damn, that really sucks. I have been waiting for the hardware to catchup before I bother updating my computer. I did hear the next generation of Apple computers should be able to handle the files, so hopefully PC is not too far behind? Would be a major pain to have to wait that long for hardware support!

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Damn, that really sucks. I have been waiting for the hardware to catchup before I bother updating my computer. I did hear the next generation of Apple computers should be able to handle the files, so hopefully PC is not too far behind? Would be a major pain to have to wait that long for hardware support!
Apple uses plain old AMD GPUs*. It is impossible for PCs to be behind Macs in terms of hardware currently, with the Mac pro for example, the opposite is actually the case, as Apple doesn't use Nvidia products and went with Intel CPUs in a time where AMD has risen to be a wonderful choice for workstations.

Anyway, that's off topic. We are just a short time away from both NVidia and AMD launching their new GPUs. I would be very, very surprised if neither of them would include hardware support for the new video format, now that major cooperations are beginning to push the standard into practice.

*Edit, yes, I forgot the Afterburner card. I was talking strictly about Gpu features here, of course Apple has plenty proprietary hardware to put into their machines.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Apple uses plain old AMD GPUs*. It is impossible for PCs to be behind Macs in terms of hardware currently, with the Mac pro for example, the opposite is actually the case, as Apple doesn't use Nvidia products and went with Intel CPUs in a time where AMD has risen to be a wonderful choice for workstations.

Anyway, that's off topic. We are just a short time away from both NVidia and AMD launching their new GPUs. I would be very, very surprised if neither of them would include hardware support for the new video format, now that major cooperations are beginning to push the standard into practice.

*Edit, yes, I forgot the Afterburner card. I was talking strictly about Gpu features here, of course Apple has plenty proprietary hardware to put into their machines.

I wonder how much actual hardware is needed for h.265 4:2:2 if a given GPU can already do h.265 4:2:0 and 4:4:4. I bet Nvidia is protecting their CINE line by not including support for 4:2:2 :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
@SteveC My wife loves her RP because it was the Camera that finally clicked for her and photography. That RP and the RF 35 has taken some truly amazing photos.

View attachment 192245

Ok that was the 100-400 and I may have cooked it a bit

She is super excited for her R6 but told me that her RP and the red grip we added will not be going anywhere. :)
When I think that some fanboys are trashing this 35mm as crap... I think they don't even know what a lens is ;)...
EB5A7720-847-851-857_1920x726_2020-08-21_14-44-20.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia

why cant the gpu handle a video file. high end gpus can render 3d graphics but have trouble with videos formats???

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
why cant the gpu handle a video file. high end gpus can render 3d graphics but have trouble with videos formats???
A lot of tasks that modern hardware performs well at are supported by hardware that is specialized for that purpose. Video de- and encoding are examples of this. Obviously, older Hardware can't have the specialized circuits for modern or niche video formats.

Without support for these special cases, software has to make use of the general purpose computing hardware. Rendering 3D scenes is nothing like compressing 2D pixel data in a very specific way. Being good at one thing does not automatically make a piece of hardware good at another thing, only because the end results of both things is moving images.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
A lot of tasks that modern hardware performs well at are supported by hardware that is specialized for that purpose. Video de- and encoding are examples of this. Obviously, older Hardware can't have the specialized circuits for modern or niche video formats.

Without support for these special cases, software has to make use of the general purpose computing hardware. Rendering 3D scenes is nothing like compressing 2D pixel data in a very specific way. Being good at one thing does not automatically make a piece of hardware good at another thing, only because the end results of both things is moving images.
so all those complex super computer teraflopz like gpus cant crunch the numbers fast enough.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
so all those complex super computer teraflopz like gpus cant crunch the numbers fast enough.
Decoding a specific type of video is a very specialized task. For most formats, there is a small part of your computing hardware that's dedicated to handling that task. It is great at that, and nothing else. It can't do arbitrary tasks.

Lacking such a specialized part, the software has to use parts of the computer that are able to perform any task that's thrown at them. These can do anything imaginable with a computer, but slower than specialized hardware.

As we are dealing with some rather new formats here, the specialized hardware for them is not found in all current hardware. There is a lot of new PC hardware coming out before the end of the year that will certainly address this.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Decoding a specific type of video is a very specialized task. For most formats, there is a small part of your computing hardware that's dedicated to handling that task. It is great at that, and nothing else. It can't do arbitrary tasks.

Lacking such a specialized part, the software has to use parts of the computer that are able to perform any task that's thrown at them. These can do anything imaginable with a computer, but slower than specialized hardware.

As we are dealing with some rather new formats here, the specialized hardware for them is not found in all current hardware. There is a lot of new PC hardware coming out before the end of the year that will certainly address this.
So there is nothing at all available. I just got a laptop with an rtx 2080 super and the new I7 8 core.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know why there are no camera profiles for the R5 and R6?
Adobe hasn't had camera matching profiles for Canon cameras since the EOS R was released. Even the profiles for the EOS R are just ported over from the 5D Mark IV profiles. Safe to say it is highly unlikely Adobe will ever add camera matching profiles for the R5 or R6. They don't even have them for the 1dx iii.

I have read different things about why this is the case, apparently there needs to be a collaboration / information sharing between Adobe and Canon in order to make the profiles.. but so far that just isn't happening.

Upvote 0