Canon EOS R5 with Speedlite 600EX-RF: No AF-Assist beam on Speedlite

Jul 21, 2010
The patterned red beams don't play nice with MILC AF. There are settings to activate/deactivate the Speedlite AF assist beam on the R-series bodies, but when activated the red beam doesn't fire, the main flash tube emits a short burst of HSS-like strobing to light the scene.

The setting is here on the R5:

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 1.52.13 PM.png

On Canon's old 320EX and the newer EL-1 and EL-5 Speedlites, the LED lamp(s) are activated for AF assist (although the EL-5 won't work on the R5 at all).

The R-series bodies have a built-in orange LED for AF assist but it's not always useful. I find it helpful sometimes, but where it’s not helpful is with a subject in the lower left quadrant of the frame (sometimes an area larger than exactly a quadrant) because with my lenses the lens itself blocks the AF assist light from reaching that part of the field, even with the hood removed. I suspect that with something like the RF 50/1.8 or 35/1.8 it would be fine, but my smallest RF lenses are the 14-35/4L and 24-105/4L, and both block a good chunk of area (the 28-70/2L is worse).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
well thats worrying news. I have a bunch on Yn600's and still on 6Dii but hoping to upgrade to mirrorless eventually. Most of my work is in low light situations, clubs, dances etc and the AF assist beam comes in handy in near darn situations. So if I upgrade, thats the AF asist beam on gone. Will probably have to attatch a small light on the flash to get focus.

Upvote 0
The patterned red beams don't play nice with MILC AF. There are settings to activate/deactivate the Speedlite AF assist beam on the R-series bodies, but when activated the red beam doesn't fire, the main flash tube emits a short burst of HSS-like strobing to light the scene.

View attachment 206127

On Canon's old 320EX and the newer EL-1 and EL-5 Speedlites, the LED lamp(s) are activated for AF assist (although the EL-5 won't work on the R5 at all).

The R-series bodies have a built-in orange LED for AF assist but it's not always useful. I find it helpful sometimes, but where it’s not helpful is with a subject in the lower left quadrant of the frame (sometimes an area larger than exactly a quadrant) because with my lenses the lens itself blocks the AF assist light from reaching that part of the field, even with the hood removed. I suspect that with something like the RF 50/1.8 or 35/1.8 it would be fine, but my smallest RF lenses are the 14-35/4L and 24-105/4L, and both block a good chunk of area (the 28-70/2L is worse).
good day guys , i have the R10 and i'm using godox /flashpoint speed lites , I have set the camera menu for LED AF assist beam only and I did not get hss flash , i dont know what other settings are there to change.

Upvote 0
good day guys , i have the R10 and i'm using godox /flashpoint speed lites , I have set the camera menu for LED AF assist beam only and I did not get hss flash , i dont know what other settings are there to change.
The camera body AF Assist Beam projection setting must be set to ENABLE not LED ONLY. If set to LED ONLY the speedlite won't emit pre-fires for AF Assist only the body AF Assist Beam will work. The camera body choses where the AF Assist Beam will be emitted from. With my Canon speedlites they emit a short burst of pre-fires to assist the camera. Other times the camera body emits it's orange AF Assist Beam. I don't know if 3rd party speedlites will emit pre-fires for the AF Assist Beam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

View attachment 206127

Actually the EL-1 speedlite DOES NOT use the LED lamp for AF Assist according to Canon's manual. The AF Assist Beam will be emitted by "Intermittent Flashes" regardless of projection method. When I tested out the EL-1 with an R5 and R6 bodies the speedlite did emit pre-fires for AF Assist. With my 600EX II-RT it also emitted the AF Assist Beam by Intermittent Flashes/ pre-fires. With my 430EX III-RT set to IR the speedlite also emitted Intermittent Flashes. It seems like the camera can override the AF Assist Beam projection even if the speedlite has an option for both IR and Intermittent Flash/ pre-fires.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-27 133333.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-27 133333.png
    174.9 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Actually the EL-1 speedlite DOES NOT use the LED lamp for AF Assist according to Canon's manual. The AF Assist Beam will be emitted by "Intermittent Flashes" regardless of projection method. When I tested out the EL-1 with an R5 and R6 bodies the speedlite did emit pre-fires for AF Assist. With my 600EX II-RT it also emitted the AF Assist Beam by Intermittent Flashes/ pre-fires. With my 430EX III-RT set to IR the speedlite also emitted Intermittent Flashes. It seems like the camera can override the AF Assist Beam projection even if the speedlite has an option for both IR and Intermittent Flash/ pre-fires.
Thanks for the correction, and good to know! I presume the EL-5 will behave like the EL-1, I'll find out when mine arrives next spring.

Upvote 0
Using my camera Canon EOS R5 in combination with Speedlite 600EX-RF the AF-assist beam doesn’t work at the Speedlite.
What can I do? Maybe wrong settings somewhere? Please help.
The IR Beam from the speedlite won't fire. The speedlite will use "Intermittent Flashes"/ pre-fires for AF Assist. But The camera body decides if the speedlite will fire the AF Assist Beam or the camera will fire its AF Assist Beam.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-27 135229.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-27 135229.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2022-11-27 133333.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-27 133333.png
    174.9 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0
Thanks for the correction, and good to know! I presume the EL-5 will behave like the EL-1, I'll find out when mine arrives next spring.
The info listed for the EL-5 says for AF Assist Beam it says "LED Lamp" so I believe that Intermittent Flash won't be used. It might use "Intermittent Flashes"/ pre-fires depending on the lighting conditions as the camera manual mentions.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The info listed for the EL-5 says for AF Assist Beam it says "LED Lamp" so I believe that Intermittent Flash won't be used. It might use "Intermittent Flashes"/ pre-fires depending on the lighting conditions as the camera manual mentions.
I suspect I looked at that (I reviewed the available information before preordering) and assumed the EL-1 was the same. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I suspect I looked at that (I reviewed the available information before preordering) and assumed the EL-1 was the same. Thanks again!
The only problem I see with the LED Lamp is that its not on the front of the speedlite. Like the rest of Canon's other speedlites with an IR AF Assist Beam. The lamp is under the main flash tube. When this speedlite is used in the bounce position. The LED AF Assist Beam wouldn't help the camera since its not facing directly at your subject(s). This also is a problem with some of Canon's speedlites that don't have an IR AF Assist Beam. With the speedlite in the bounce position the speedlite would pre-fire toward the ceiling (or wherever bounced at).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The only problem I see with the LED Lamp is that its not on the front of the speedlite. Like the rest of Canon's other speedlites with an IR AF Assist Beam. The lamp is under the main flash tube. When this speedlite is used in the bounce position. The LED AF Assist Beam wouldn't help the camera since its not facing directly at your subject(s). This also is a problem with some of Canon's speedlites that don't have an IR AF Assist Beam. With the speedlite in the bounce position the speedlite would pre-fire toward the ceiling (or wherever bounced at).
I'm not too worried about that. If you're using bounce flash to illuminate a subject, then the AF assist will also bounce (whether it's the main tube strobing or the LEDs under the main tube on the EL-5). The R-series cameras need very little light to focus. I do wonder if, when the EL-5 head is elevated or rotated, the camera will use the onboard AF assist lamp instead of the flash.

The advantage of the EL-5 LEDs (and presumably why they're on the movable head) is that they also serve as a modeling light, which they could not do if located on the flash body.

Upvote 0
I've never personally owned an R series camera but have rented the R, RP, R5, R6 and rented the EL-1 speedlite. I believe the R5 was the best at a low light (the R3 wasn't released yet). Since I work mostly in low light I want a working AF Assist Beam just in case. The EL-1 also has an LED modeling lamp under the main flash tube.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not too worried about that. If you're using bounce flash to illuminate a subject, then the AF assist will also bounce (whether it's the main tube strobing or the LEDs under the main tube on the EL-5). The R-series cameras need very little light to focus. I do wonder if, when the EL-5 head is elevated or rotated, the camera will use the onboard AF assist lamp instead of the flash.

The advantage of the EL-5 LEDs (and presumably why they're on the movable head) is that they also serve as a modeling light, which they could not do if located on the flash body.
It looks like the camera can switch between AF Assist Beam emission methods. This is what Canon has been doing with their current speedlites. Intermittent Flash (or on speedlite LED 320EX only) vs Body lamp. LED vs Intermittent Flash firing depending on lighting. This is what's listed on Canon EU so lets see when the speedlite is released. Or at least when the manual is released for the speedlite

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-22 095721.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-22 095721.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0