Canon EOS R6 v1.7.0 update released

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I was jut thinking it was time to go to 1.6! lol. Guess I'll wait a while and see how this goes for people. I did notice when i went to 1.5.whatever that sometimes the HUD in the EVF didn't wake up. the EVF was working, but the focus box and other display info would take a while to pop up, like maybe 5 seconds or something. The funny thing was the AF system was working, because I could hit the shutter and get in-focus shots. I wonder if 1.6 or 1.7 fix that issue....

Brian

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I wouldn't expect them to add any features, so it's useful as I don't think I can update the firmware without a computer; all the same, I'd have loved the focus stacking ability from the newer models.
If you ever want to update now or in the future, just mail me a cheap sd card and I'll download the firmware onto it and send it back. PM me for my address.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I wouldn't expect them to add any features, so it's useful as I don't think I can update the firmware without a computer; all the same, I'd have loved the focus stacking ability from the newer models.
You have an R6 and over 3,000 posts on this site and you don't have a computer??????

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Genuinely curious....what do you do with the photos you take if you don't have a computer to store/edit them?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Genuinely curious....what do you do with the photos you take if you don't have a computer to store/edit them?
I'm keeping them on the SD card. The minority I share online are edited on the camera and/or uploaded to my phone for finishing and then posting. It's not ideal for the long term but it's the best I can do.

Upvote 0
You have an R6 and over 3,000 posts on this site and you don't have a computer??????
My last computer died a couple of years ago and I can't afford to replace it. For most of my photographic "career" I had one, of course. I take far fewer images with a camera now, so storage is much less of an issue; incidentally I have an R6 because I traded in my old DSLR gear so it cost me nothing, and I wanted to see if it could rekindle my interest - if not I would get rid and just use my phone. Still undecided on that. But a phone can handle most of the organising and editing. Not my preference but sufficient.

Upvote 0
If you ever want to update now or in the future, just mail me a cheap sd card and I'll download the firmware onto it and send it back. PM me for my address.
Thanks! That's very kind. Tbh I don't have any issues with the current version (1.5.2); I'll see if the app can do it as suggested here.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I tried your link to the 1.7.o and it looked suspicious. I checked Canon's web site and it only shows the 1.6.0 version.
The update was on Canonusa today. I installed it this morning. I just checked and it is still there https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r5 . You have to verify your OS version before the site will let you access the files.

Upvote 0
I have just updated from 1.6 to 1.7 through my phone, using the Canon connect app.
Also focus stacking was available with 1.6 firmware.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Focus bracketing, or "depth compositing"?
The post you replied to stated ‘focus stacking’ which is synonymous with depth compositing. I think you are conflating those terms with ‘focus bracketing’, which is collecting multiple focal planes (a necessary prerequisite to stacking/compositing them).

Upvote 0