Canon EOS R8's tested imaging sensor readout speed is 14.5ms (rolling shutter)

Jul 21, 2010
Well, the sensor in the R8 is the same sensor used in the R6II, so this does not come as a surprise.

That was a big driver for my purchase of the R8 – the R6II's sensor in a smaller/lighter body for travel. Most of my travel shooting is on a tripod, so IBIS is not needed (and for those times I am not on a tripod, the lenses I'll use have IS so I'm only giving up a stop or two).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well, the sensor in the R8 is the same sensor used in the R6II, so this does not come as a surprise.

That was a big driver for my purchase of the R8 – the R6II's sensor in a smaller/lighter body for travel. Most of my travel shooting is on a tripod, so IBIS is not needed (and for those times I am not on a tripod, the lenses I'll use have IS so I'm only giving up a stop or two).
I will buy this camera as a 2nd body alongside the Canon R5.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I researched and the result I found excited me. The Canon R8's rolling shutter speed looks the same as the Canon R6 Mark 2. (14.5)

View attachment 208571

I don't know where he gets his measurements from. Here is another set posted elsewhere on CR, which has some different values, and I don't where they come fromreadout speed.png.

Upvote 0
I don't know where he gets his measurements from. Here is another set posted elsewhere on CR, which has some different values, and I don't where they come fromView attachment 208572.

There is a table I added on the web page I specified. I have no way of knowing how they did the test. I also know about the table you sent. Maybe they can add the new Canon R6 Mark 2 and R8 in the coming days.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I just can't get how this R8 doesn't have a Mechanical Shutter. How about photos with quality bokeh (1.2/1.8 high speeds) and sports?
The R8 has mechanical shutter to end the exposure, i.e., EFCS. That means no rolling shutter effect. It’s limited to 6 fps in that mode. Personally, I use EFCS and not full electronic shutter (the latter is lower bit depth in RAW).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
"With no full mechanical shutter available, the R8 cannot close the shutter when powered down as other R-series cameras do (but not including the RP)."

Sensor will be always dirty. This looks a big red flag to me?
The ultra sonic cleaner runs a lot more often compared to my RP. The sensor does seem to stay a bit cleaner, but I've only had the R8 for some weeks.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
"With no full mechanical shutter available, the R8 cannot close the shutter when powered down as other R-series cameras do (but not including the RP)."

Sensor will be always dirty. This looks a big red flag to me?
Sounds like you’re trying to talk yourself out of buying an R8. ;)

Like @koenkooi I only have a few weeks experience with the camera (as does everyone who owns one, since the camera came out only a few weeks ago).

I just checked, there’s certainly some dust on my R8’s sensor. Honestly, there are only a few specks and that’s pretty surprising to me, since I just returned from two weeks in Italy with the R8 as my only camera (other than my iPhone), and my lens changing behavior was unavoidably terrible.

I typically carried three lenses (RF 24-105/4, RF 14-35, and either the RF 28/2.8 or RF 24/1.8), and changed lenses frequently (mostly between the zooms, the primes did not get much use). Lens changes were all ‘on the fly’ working out of a shoulder bag that was a tight fit, meaning longer than normal times with no lens mounted as I juggled gear (and kids). That included several changes while hiking on Mt. Etna, where the kids’ sneakers started out black but ended up gray from all the volcanic dust.

Sensor dust is something of a minor bugaboo anyway, you see it at f/22 but even at f/8 it’s generally not visible unless the specks are really big. It’s an issue for macro shooting, much less so for general shooting. where stopping down too far costs you substantial sharpness loss from diffraction.

So personally, I am not worried about the lack of a protective shutter on the R8. If it bothers you, consider the R6II.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The ultra sonic cleaner runs a lot more often compared to my RP. The sensor does seem to stay a bit cleaner, but I've only had the R8 for some weeks.
I don’t understand. There’s no ‘dust detector’, it’s not like the camera runs a sensor clean when it thinks it’s necessary.

Automatic cleaning occurs whenever the camera is turned off (by default) or only when manually initiated if so configured.

The only way your R8 is cleaning more frequently than your RP is if you’re turning it off or running a manual clean more often.

Upvote 0
That included several changes while hiking on Mt. Etna, where the kids’ sneakers started out black but ended up gray from all the volcanic dust.
Interested to hear that they're letting people hike up Etna again - it must be a while since the last blast!! When I was there, many years ago now, we caught a moon buggy to the top, and I enticed my wife out to one of the craters, where a single plume of smoke was showing. 2 weeks later there was the largest explosion in a century, and I think a couple of people were killled ...

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I don’t understand. There’s no ‘dust detector’, it’s not like the camera runs a sensor clean when it thinks it’s necessary.

Automatic cleaning occurs whenever the camera is turned off (by default) or only when manually initiated if so configured.

The only way your R8 is cleaning more frequently than your RP is if you’re turning it off or running a manual clean more often.
I don’t remember the RP running a clean when changing lenses when the camera has been off for a while, but is has been a few years since I last used an RP :)

Upvote 0
I use my R8 with a drop in ef to RF adapter with a clear filter. I don't use RF glass, so my rig is all EF optics...the filter acts as a permanent sensor / dust sheild. It's permanently on my R8 and so far I've not had any dust issues at all. In fact I've had less than I would have seen on my DSLR's.
20230624-875C8228.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I just can't get how this R8 doesn't have a Mechanical Shutter. How about photos with quality bokeh (1.2/1.8 high speeds) and sports?
Just because the mechanical shutter doesn’t fully close, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have one. The 1st curtain shutter setting (6fps) is mechanical. The shutter is only seen when it activates. It’s partially electronic and partly mechanical.
I suspect that in about 5 years time when every Canon mirrorless camera has a stacked or global sensor, all of the shutter systems will be fully electronic. It’ll be the last legacy film camera part of the camera to transition to fully digital.
At some point in the future, we’ll probably only be upgrading the firmware in our cameras because the hardware has peaked and become common.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
The shutter blades are more delicate than the sensor surface. Some folks with “sensor protection” choose to deactivate it to protect the shutter blades. Also, once dust is in the box, it doesn’t matter if it’s on the shutter or the sensor. As soon as you take a few photos, that same dust will be flying around in there anyway and land on the sensor eventually.

And with the drop in filter. Dust can get on that glass too. Then you have to take that out and clean it allowing any dust in there to fly around and land on the sensor.

I’m just saying concerns seem overblown. I shot with an RP and my wife has and M6II and sensor dust hasn’t been a big issue. I have an R6II now with the closed shutter in power down and sensor dust remains not a big issue.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The shutter blades are more delicate than the sensor surface. Some folks with “sensor protection” choose to deactivate it to protect the shutter blades. Also, once dust is in the box, it doesn’t matter if it’s on the shutter or the sensor. As soon as you take a few photos, that same dust will be flying around in there anyway and land on the sensor eventually.

And with the drop in filter. Dust can get on that glass too. Then you have to take that out and clean it allowing any dust in there to fly around and land on the sensor.

I’m just saying concerns seem overblown. I shot with an RP and my wife has and M6II and sensor dust hasn’t been a big issue. I have an R6II now with the closed shutter in power down and sensor dust remains not a big issue.
I seem to recall, and he may correct me if I have misremembered, that @neuroanatomist has had more dust problems with his R8 than his other R bodies with closing shutters.

Upvote 0