Canon EOS RP to cost $1599? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS RP will be announced on or around February 14, 2019. It will be the new entry-level camera for the Canon EOS R system. There are further bits of information that have come out over the last couple of days.
The rumored price of the Canon EOS RP body is $1599 USD, we have also heard $1499 USD as the starting price for the EOS RP.

All of the specifications you’d expect are going to be there, starting with some kind of variation of the EOS 6D Mark II sensor, DPAF, DIGIC 8 and a single card slot, nothing one couldn’t have guessed. It’s also rumored that we’ll see 4K recording at up to 30fps on the EOS RP.
We’ve been told that the cost savings will come from some ergonomic differences (removal of the touch bar?) and lesser build quality than the EOS R and I imagine the image sensor will also help reduce costs.
Following the EOS RP, expect the next EOS R camera to go upmarket in the form of a higher resolution...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
This could be kind of interesting. Are they going to use the Powershot user interface? Are they going to shrink it to the size of the SL2 (which is about the same size as the M5) and use the M5/M50 user interface? And how about some lenses appropriate to $1600 FF camera, like a 24-200 f/3.5-5.6? At least we won't have long to wait.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I have delayed buying the R to see what the lower end model might be like. At $1600 for FF, this could be too good to pass up. As primarily a daytime stills shooter, I don't care about FPS or IBIS. Hopefully they wil come out with a consumer RF 24-105, but it may be too soon for that as it will compete with one of their few RF L lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
~1500 ... with FF sensor?

If this comes true and DR is around 13.5 stops (yes, I need it because I like contra light) this is very good news. I would take an 18MPix (or 24MPix to have same pixel count like M50) sensor with DPAF in an instant if it has (1) very clean low ISO and good high ISO (to be expected) and (2) good low light AF (also to be expected from smaller photo sites). Colors etc. must be at least as good as that of M50.

I just thought about buying a 2nd M50 to have again a two-identical-body setup but if this RP is sth. like an EOS R50 they could coexist easily: M50 with EF-M 32 and RP with e.g. 70-200 4.0 or 100 2.8 macro depending on the use case. And if the RP has only one control wheel I will buy a 2nd one to adapt my EF glass. And finally ... FD glass to check out if I need an ultra wide or if the FD 4.0 17mm is enough ultra wide for my use!

I have to perform some tax declarations of the last years so an EOS RP with the specs I mentioned will motivate me to make them - while really hating that (and other) bureaucrac(z)y - and buy a body as soon as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Following the EOS RP, expect the next EOS R camera to go upmarket in the form of a higher resolution camera. We don’t expect to see such a camera until Q4 of 2019 at the earliest. We also expect to see that camera launch a new generation of Canon image sensors. {emphasis added}

Waiting for a new Canon sensor is a bit like Waiting for Godot. We wait for him who never seems to arrive. Nevertheless, Canon will introduce a new sensor platform. It's inevitable. Yet, the new sensor will be a surprise when they do introduce it even though we have waited years for the announcement!

I would expect the new camera to replace the EOS 5D SR. It will deliver MPs and DR but not sports and wildlife optimal frame rates, capabilities that might require additional sensor tweaking than a 5D SR replacement would need.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

If this comes true and DR is around 13.5 stops (yes, I need it because I like contra light) this is very good news. I

Very sorry but "some kind of variation of the EOS 6D Mark II sensor " means you wont get anywhere near that.

Is this just like the 'all new' sensor in the EOS R? Does Canon have too much money? Just wait until Sony makes a "big body" A7/9 to run against the S1R and color science that get better with every firmware update. S. M. H.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Maybe FF is now (finally!) the new APS-C. More people invested in FF means a larger customer base for development and production of FF lenses, which is a good thing. Personally, I'm waiting for a 5D Mk IV variant of the RF mount, but I'm in no hurry. Now more amateurs wanting something significantly better than a smartphone or point-and-shoot, and even entry-level photographers intending to commit and grow, can enjoy FF IQ quality.

Makes great sense to use the old 5DIV sensor in the first EOS R, and a sensor more on par with the one from the 6D II for a body costing about $500 USD less.

Weren't more affordable FF bodies one of the hopes customers had for mirrorless? Well here they come!

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
$1600 body only is still too high for an entry level FF model. $1600 with a kit lens would be nice.
For some reason MILC cost same or more than DSLRs. But I would certainly wait to see how much Canon cripples this entry level FF body. If it offers tangible upgrade over 6D mk2 then 80D is going to be my last DSLR to be ever purchased. Most of my macro lenses are already designed for FF sensors(except for EF-S 35mm) and so far only Canon has best compatibility with their DSLR lenses. I just hope the body is same as EOS-R without M-Fn bar, UHS-II SD slots and type-C port are carried forward. Also would like to see USB charging being made available but it seems highly improbable without new battery packs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Interesting to see this quite agressive marketing strategy - no matter what Canon does to the spec list to justify such a "cheap" FF camera.
Seems they have recognized that it will be important to get into this market segement.
Will be interesting how Nikon and Sony react on this. Looking at Sony I don't believe that they no longer can argue with the ageing a7.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

If this comes true and DR is around 13.5 stops (yes, I need it because I like contra light) this is very good news. I would take an 18MPix (or 24MPix to have same pixel count like M50) sensor with DPAF in an instant if it has (1) very clean low ISO and good high ISO (to be expected) and (2) good low light AF (also to be expected from smaller photo sites). Colors etc. must be at least as good as that of M50.

The current price of the EOS 6D Mark II from authorized dealers in the U.S. is $1,299.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'm sure it will sell well but I expect it will get slated in reviews.
I'm not sure why you'd buy an EOS R if an EOS RP existed.
I can understand why Canon is bringing out this camera as they reckon they can sell it.
I don't think it does much for the prestige of the brand.
A high megapixel version in late 2019 isn't particularly exciting if it too is only borrowing a sensor from the 5DSR.
I'm waiting for Canon to develop a mirrorless camera that is demonstrably better than a 5DIV.
It could be a long wait.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0