Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong>Masaya Maeda spills the beans

<span style="font-weight: normal;">Canon’s head of their Image Communications Products has told Reuters that Canon is working on an EVIL/Small DSLR camera.</span></strong></p>
<blockquote><p><strong><span style="font-weight: normal;">Maeda also said the company was working on a smaller version of its upmarket single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras in a bid to compete with the new breed of mid-range so-called “mirrorless” cameras launched by Sony Corp, Olympus Corp, and Panasonic Corp.</span></strong></p></blockquote>
<p>Maeda went a few steps further.</p>
<blockquote><p>“It’s not a question of whether or not you have a mirror. There is a consumer need for good-quality cameras to be made smaller,” Maeda said. “We will meet this need.”</p></blockquote>
<p>He did mention that a mirror may still be part of the equation. So perhaps not an EVIL but a really small digital SLR that could take EF & EF-S lenses?</p>
<blockquote>
<div id="_mcePaste">“It’s not a question of whether or not you have a mirror. There is a consumer need for good-quality cameras to be made smaller,” Maeda said. “We will meet this need.”</div>
<div id="_mcePaste">He denied this would be difficult without removing the internal mirror, adding that Canon had produced very small SLR cameras in the past.</div>
</blockquote>
<p>No time table was mentioned.</p>
<p><strong>Read More: </strong><a href="http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTOE66J04U20100720"><strong>http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTOE66J04U20100720</strong></a></p>
<p><em>thanks Keith</em></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

WoodyWindy

On the road again!
Jul 20, 2010
My first SLR (which I still have) was the Canon EOS IX, which was a small form-factor APS body that took EF lenses. The original 22-55 and 24-85 were designed for this camera. It was, in performance and construction, equivalent to the Elan or X0 series of 35MM film cameras. There was also an EOS IX Lite (in the US) or EOS IX 7 elsewhere, which was a Rebel X00 class body.

In other words, if the electronics are now small enough, you *can* now get a DSLR in roughly the form factor of the G series. Add a couple pancake EF-S lenses, and Canon is right in the hunt in this space without creating a new mount.

Upvote 0
L

LukeLx

I would add myself to those who ask for an EVIL(or hybrid) camera, and not for a small DSLR (1000D already exists).
Surely an EF adapter is needed but also new lightweights lenses, I would not use so much a NEX body coupled with a 24-70 or a 70-200 :)
The hacked GH1 returns really awesome videos, in every aspects, and its contrast detection AF is the fastest around, so... time to move for Canon.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

LukeLx said:
I would add myself to those who ask for an EVIL(or hybrid) camera, and not for a small DSLR (1000D already exists).
Surely an EF adapter is needed but also new lightweights lenses, I would not use so much a NEX body coupled with a 24-70 or a 70-200 :)
The hacked GH1 returns really awesome videos, in every aspects, and its contrast detection AF is the fastest around, so... time to move for Canon.

I wouldn't want to use Canon L glass much either, but it would be fun to have the compatibility option available. For movies on a tripod for example it could rock.

Upvote 0

WoodyWindy

On the road again!
Jul 20, 2010
Upvote 0
LukeLx said:

Since you mentioned the 1000D, a 1000D successor with 50D level AF and operation speed would be great.

What if a mirror was only used for fast AF and they put an EVF elsewhere in the body (so no top hump). Would that be good?

Upvote 0
R

ROBOTTI2009

I would LOVE a camera with a form factor something similar to the PEN and other small micro 4/3 cameras that would accept EF-lenses.

When I first started with 450D I didn't consider carrying it around to be much of a problem but now with 5D MkII I'm inclined to leave it home on occasions.

At a time like that, I would love to grab a small body, throw on a prime and rock on.

Upvote 0
WoodyWindy said:
My first SLR (which I still have) was the Canon EOS IX, which was a small form-factor APS body that took EF lenses...

In other words, if the electronics are now small enough, you *can* now get a DSLR in roughly the form factor of the G series. Add a couple pancake EF-S lenses, and Canon is right in the hunt in this space without creating a new mount.

I'd rather have a Digital IX than an MIL camera. Hope that this is the rumored camera.

BTW Nikon also built an APS film camera that used F mount lenses.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.