Canon FD 800mm f/5.6 SSC

I picked up this lens off of ebay the other week. I have an EdMika adapter coming for it soon, but so far I've been using it on my Sony A7II, and I've been having a blast with it! It's roughly a 40 year old lens, and has lots of purple & green fringing issues. But it's manageable and the the point of view is like nothing I've seen before.

Picnic in the Snow by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr

In a row by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr

Friends by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr

Long Term Parking by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr

Thirsty Chicken by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr

800mm Landscape by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr

I'm posting this not so much as an example of amazing photography, but to give some perspective at what shooting at 800mm is like.

The house in this photo is about 2 miles away. The water tower on the right (which is where I focused the lens on) is 2.5 miles away. The water tower on the left is about 4 miles away.

I was disappointed that I didn't get everything in focus, even at f/16, and that the lens isn't nearly as sharp as I'd like it to be (it's a 40 yr old lens w/ fungus inside), but I really need to give it some slack considering the distances. Often times, the haze in the atmosphere does the most damage to an image, no matter how good your lens is.

Upvote 0