Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 (Ed Mika Conversion)

Jul 19, 2011
These are some recent shots with my newly converted FL 55mm lens on a 7D (all hand-held shots). I know there are other forum members who have also recently received an Ed Mika conversion kit. If you have photos to share, please post them here.

Attachments

• Western Wire_110930_1186-2.jpg
    Western Wire_110930_1186-2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 2,911
  • Western Wire_110930_0985.jpg
    Western Wire_110930_0985.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 2,866
  • Western Wire_110930_1049-2.jpg
    Western Wire_110930_1049-2.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 2,827
  • Western Wire_110930_1014.jpg
    Western Wire_110930_1014.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 2,813
I just got my FL55mm 1.2 and installed the ED Mika adapter in about 5 mins. I promptly ran outside and snapped a few photos wide open at f/1.2

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0531a.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

Upvote 0
R

russellwth

hi guys,

i'm just curious, i just received the adapter from Ed Mika a few days ago here in singapore, went to convert the fl f1.2 55m lens.

the result however is the dandelion AF chip is telling me the focus is spot on, however if i were to view it properly, it appears that the focus is close but not achieved. have tried the same procedure several times, same result.

is it only me who thinks the dandelion is slightly off?

Upvote 0
No, the dandelion chip is in my experience only semi accurate for focus confirmation especially with the thin depth of field you have a 1.2 on closer subjects. I have heard that focusing using only centre point is a bit more accurate and If you follow the chip instructions as posted on the ebay listing there is a calibration function for it that functions similar to lens micro adjustment on the newer / higher end canon bodies.

Since I do most of my focusing in live view or using the focus screen in my 1D4 I basically ignore the focus confirm function of the chip on my FL 55 1.2 and depend on it rather for allowing proper light metering and EXIF data reporting. Perhaps I should play with it some more to see if the FL 55s are all back or forward focusing and add the appropriate calibration adjustment to my regular programming routine of adjusting focal length to 55, aperture to 1.2 and manual/auto focus switch emulation to manual.

Upvote 0
R

russellwth

that's pretty interesting! thanks for the info. after doing some a comparison of the same shot using the af provided by the chip and using the live view to get the same shot, i could get accurate in focus shot using the live view with 2.7 ft on the barrel, while using the dandelion AF, what it determined as in focus was at 3.0ft. both shots were taken mounted on tripod and 2-sec self-timer on my 1000D.

could you share how you calibrate the lens (AF Chip)? i don't believe i see the instructions for doing so on your listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/EdMika-Canon-FL-55mm-1-1-2-EF-EOS-Conversion-Kit-/180706459579

many thanks!
though i agree with you i would shoot in live view for manual lenses, but somehow or rather it feels very natural for me to use the view finder

Upvote 0
They are up on the ebay listing in the pictures on the second page down if you scroll. However here is a larger version in my flickr photo stream that will likely be easier to read here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ontarian/6031775051/sizes/o/in/set-72157624929098837/

I do prefer the viewfinder also over live view for really "seeing" what I'm shooting, it feels more direct. The focusing screen is bang on accurate as well, I wish all bodies still came with one.

Upvote 0
R

russellwth

hey ed, thanks alot for your help! though i would say that the link you've provided well, required some head banging first, i found a guide off tago, which describes using the ai servo method to get into the program, afterwhich, i calibrated the F8.0 + 2 digits from 01 to 17 – correction of focus confirmation dot to 06 instead of the default which was 09 and as a result, ive managed to receive rather spot on AF.

in the end the calibration function did help out :D

Upvote 0
russellwth said:
hey ed, thanks alot for your help! though i would say that the link you've provided well, required some head banging first, i found a guide off tago, which describes using the ai servo method to get into the program, afterwhich, i calibrated the F8.0 + 2 digits from 01 to 17 – correction of focus confirmation dot to 06 instead of the default which was 09 and as a result, ive managed to receive rather spot on AF.

in the end the calibration function did help out :D

Thanks for the valuable feedback, I'll confirm on my several len copies as well and if I find that a setting of 06 is the best vs. the default 09 I will add making this adjustment to my standard chip programming routine on adapters I send out. -Ed Mika

Upvote 0