Canon G1X or Sony RX 100 II or EF-M 18-55 IS STM

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Going to Australia for 15 days vacation next month with my family (3 teenage boys & only 1 wife) ... our trip involves typical sightseeing tours like Great Ocean Road, 12 apostles, puffing billy, zoo (3 of them) and places in and around Melbourne & Sydney ... I like making a lot of short home videos clips of our sightseeing trips but I like taking still images even more ... so I will be using 5D MK III and a few lenses, (the wife feels iPhone 5S is all that she ever needs for photos & video), my 3 boys will do all the video footage capture (as they are getting pretty good at capturing video footage) ... the eldest son will use the Nikon D7100+18-300, second fella will have the EOS-M+24-105L & 22mm lens ... which leaves my last son (13 yrs old) without a camera and I want to get a camera that he can use and when the vacation is over I can also use it sometimes ... now with that in mind, I am thinking of the following options but can't make up my mind ... so any advice on the below options is highly appreciated:

1. G1X (big sensor, might be useful, as I use "Ken Burns" crop feature a lot in iMovie for our home videos).

2. Sony RX 100 II (I have had some bad experiences with Sony in 3 countries, India, UAE & Qatar ... so a bit hesitant ... but I hear good things about the RX 100 & the RX 100 II ... but since it is a much smaller sensor, how good is its video footage compared to G1X?).

3. Get another EOS-M with 18-55 IS STM lens (I already have one EOS-M, but not the 18-55 IS STM ... I hear lots of good things about this combo ... but how good is its video footage in comparison to G1X and Sony RX100 II?)

I don't mind spending US$ 726 for RX100 II (if it out performs the other two) or US$ 570 for the G1X but the EOS-M + 18-55 IS STM only costs US$ 369 with the 90EX flash, so I'm a bit unsure of which way to lean.

Given the background, which one of the above would you give your 13 year old, if you were in my place?

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
I will be the first to say that I don't know anything about how the video capabilities of these cameras compare so I can't weigh in on that. But, in this case, I'm not sure technical issues alone is the way to answer this question. I can think of some key non-technical issues that you didn't mention, but which you may already have considered. I would ask if the youngest might like to have a camera with interchangeable lenses like his middle brother has. This has the advantage of allowing the boys to swap lenses amongst themselves and over time, perhaps borrow some other ones from you. The other consideration would be how the middle child would feel if his younger brother got a camera that is or could be perceived to be better, or even just more expensive than the one he has? I'm not saying treat everyone the same, but to consider the impact of the various options on other members in the family. Finally, while I don't believe in making decisions on price alone, in this case, the price of the EOS-M kit is a very compelling point, especially for a 13 year old. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Thanks for the response ... thankfully my children aren't bothered about who gets a better camera, as they also use my 5D MK III whenever they want ... in fact my second son did a short 5 minute video (about water conservation) last week using the 5D MK III and got the first prize in school (the school has submitted that video to the country's 'Supreme Council for Education'). As parents my wife and I try to teach our children to share and not be possessive about material things ... so the youngest one getting a "better" camera than the eldest is not a big deal to them.

Still waiting for some of the accomplished forum members help with my query ... thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I only have the RX100, can't compare.
It is an uncomplicated, small companion with a very good IQ.
So if I leave my 5d or 1d at home, it feels good to have this small cam.
Video: hm. Very good quality, IF the AF doesnt pump. I use it so rarely, but I know you can manual focus it.
Small, stealthy, I live mine.
BTW: the minimal increased IQ of the v2 doesnt compensate its higher weight.
I am glad that I am not tempted to replace mine!

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
alexanderferdinand said:
I only have the RX100, can't compare.
It is an uncomplicated, small companion with a very good IQ.
So if I leave my 5d or 1d at home, it feels good to have this small cam.
Video: hm. Very good quality, IF the AF doesnt pump. I use it so rarely, but I know you can manual focus it.
Small, stealthy, I live mine.
BTW: the minimal increased IQ of the v2 doesnt compensate its higher weight.
I am glad that I am not tempted to replace mine!
Thanks

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Looks like not many people, in CR, use these cameras ... anyway, after having read dozens of reviews and watched lots of video footage, I went with Powershot G1X + EF-M 18-55 IS STM + Sunpak RD2000 Shoe mount flash ... original plan was to go only with a camera (G1X or RX 100 II) but I was offered a great deal (US$ 500) for all 3 (G1X, EF-M 18-55 IS STM and Sunpack RD2000 flash) ... expected delivery by next Sunday.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

I would go with the SL1. Keeps in with the system, the kit 18-55 can be used on the M via the adaptor, and you have a B body that handles like an SLR should the occassion require it.

I'm an M user, and can vouch for the 22 and the m18-55 (only flaw, typical of its class, is barrell distortion near the edges and slow max aperture as your FL increases) but the m18-55 will only work on the M. You can get the same coverage with the SL1 kit lens and this is perhaps the more versatile option.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
paul13walnut5 said:
I would go with the SL1. Keeps in with the system, the kit 18-55 can be used on the M via the adaptor, and you have a B body that handles like an SLR should the occassion require it.

I'm an M user, and can vouch for the 22 and the m18-55 (only flaw, typical of its class, is barrell distortion near the edges and slow max aperture as your FL increases) but the m18-55 will only work on the M. You can get the same coverage with the SL1 kit lens and this is perhaps the more versatile option.
Thanks but I already got the G1X + Sunpack RD2000 flash and 18-55 IS STM ... they arrived today. Despite its weaknesses I like the G1X ... here are the first few random pics taken of my (double glassed & a bit dirty) office window ... nothing great, just testing the camera. Both images are of the same plane, the first image is while it was getting ready to enter the runway and the next is when it was taking off.

Attachments

• G1X Pix 1.jpg
    G1X Pix 1.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 1,202
  • G1X Pix 2.jpg
    G1X Pix 2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,249
Upvote 0