Canon has discontinued the Canon EOS M6 Mark II

Jul 21, 2010
But doing what I've done requires stability and long term commitment from the manufacturer. That's what we're not seeing from Canon WRT the M system. Also I forgot to mention that in the last two years, I replaced my 20 year old trinity with a new F/4 trinity and my 100 macro with the latest and greatest. I'm getting old and want to lighten my load.
The M series is consumer oriented. It’s a mature system, with a good selection of lenses for its target market. Canon doesn’t care if you personally invest in buy some M bodies and lenses. What sort of commitment are you looking for?

You listed a bunch of L series lenses you’ve bought, all of those can be easily adapted to any Canon mirrorless body. That’s a form of commitment.

I own an R5 and have used an RP. The RP is about as small as I want to go. On the other hand, I like the size of the M system lenses.
The size of the M series lenses is possible because of the smaller image circle and smaller throat diameter of the mount. You’re not ever going to see RF lenses that small.

Honestly, it sounds like by ‘commitment to the M series’ you mean that you want Canon to make a camera just for you – a bigger body than any other M to date that works with the small EF-M lenses.

I know quite a few people who, when they found themselves unable to carry their large FF gear, switched to Fuji and were very happy. Maybe you should consider ‘investing’ in Fuji.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
The M series is consumer oriented. It’s a mature system, with a good selection of lenses for its target market. Canon doesn’t care if you personally invest in buy some M bodies and lenses. What sort of commitment are you looking for?

You listed a bunch of L series lenses you’ve bought, all of those can be easily adapted to any Canon mirrorless body. That’s a form of commitment.

The size of the M series lenses is possible because of the smaller image circle and smaller throat diameter of the mount. You’re not ever going to see RF lenses that small.

Honestly, it sounds like by ‘commitment to the M series’ you mean that you want Canon to make a camera just for you – a bigger body than any other M to date that works with the small EF-M lenses.

I know quite a few people who, when they found themselves unable to carry their large FF gear, switched to Fuji and were very happy. Maybe you should consider ‘investing’ in Fuji.
Yep, you're right. Canon has done it better than anybody else over the last 40 years. Whoever designed the EOS communications protocol did a superb job, especially regarding extensibility.

Concerning the M system, I own an M5 and 4 lenses. I've pretty much given up on them. But why buy a small camera so I can put on an adapter and a big lens? I've decided to just suffer along. Buying an F/4 trinity was a big help and the R6 seems about the right size.

Regarding whether "investing" in a hobby makes sense, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Upvote 0
Funny how when many folks talk about travel they want the smaller sensor, less advanced camera with them yet when I travel it's to locales with spectacular beauty, interesting vistas...you get the idea. That's why I travel with the best gear I have, weight be damned. Unless of course it has been decided and discussed with the powers that be which state no one shall lag behind composing, framing or seeking particular light and therefore take the damn picture with the ipohne 12.
Appealing subjects are easy to get nice shots of. A phone will take a fine photo of a sunset in Venice. Higher level equipment shines where things are more challenging - smaller, further, poorer light, faster action.

Upvote 0
Concerning the M system, I own an M5 and 4 lenses. I've pretty much given up on them. But why buy a small camera so I can put on an adapter and a big lens? I've decided to just suffer along. Buying an F/4 trinity was a big help and the R6 seems about the right size.
What lenses are missing that you'd want? Genuine question. And how many of them would be substantially smaller than an adapted EF equivalent?

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
Yep, you're right. Canon has done it better than anybody else over the last 40 years. Whoever designed the EOS communications protocol did a superb job, especially regarding extensibility.

Regarding whether "investing" in a hobby makes sense, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
The RF f/4 Trinity zoom is a fantastic set! I especially love the 70-200. My favorite version of all 6 70-200 L lenses I have owned over the years.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Concerning the M system, I own an M5 and 4 lenses. I've pretty much given up on them. But why buy a small camera so I can put on an adapter and a big lens?
Why given up? They have the same capabilities as the day you bought them, and those are solid capabilities. I have an M6 and all 8 EF-M lenses. I use them occasionally, which has been my pattern since buying them as a smaller kit to supplement to my FF kit.

I bought an M2 previously, and my teen daughter uses that with various lenses as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Appealing subjects are easy to get nice shots of. A phone will take a fine photo of a sunset in Venice. Higher level equipment shines where things are more challenging - smaller, further, poorer light, faster action.
Agreed. When I travel somewhere I know I’ll want to take photos, I bring the gear that will deliver the best IQ available to me – FF camera with appropriate lenses.

Traveling with family does require compromise. On those trips, I often bring the M kit for daytime since it fits easily in a backpack with other necessities. I also reserve some time for solo outings with the FF gear.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
This may sound a bit cynical, but you are not going to get a lot of ROI on any camera unless you are a professional or enjoy shooting the camera. If you are satisfied with he lenses and accessories available form Canon and 3rd parties, stay with the M and enjoy the shooting experience. If there are capabilities you would upgrade for and they are not in the current M, move on to a new system. I have an M6 II + 18-150 and several of the Sigma primes that I plan to keep until it they die. My main cameras are the R3, R5 and RF lenses but I enjoy using the M when I want something light and to just have fun. With he ability to adapt EF glass, there is a wide selection of glass for the M (not as small as a dedicated lens).

I think Canon will keep most of the M series in production until revenue begins to decline. The supply chain, staffing, manufacturing and many other considerations are driving companies to re-evaluate their product lines and focus where the have the best opportunity for return.

If Canon produces an R7 I and it is 32mp or more I will pick one up for wildlife photography. I doubt I would buy a smaller profile APS-C R and would stick with the M6 II for travel and casual shooting.

David

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
This may sound a bit cynical, but you are not going to get a lot of ROI on any camera "investment" unless you are a professional or derive pleasure from using the camera. If you are satisfied with he lenses and accessories available form Canon and 3rd parties, stay with the M and enjoy the shooting experience. If there are capabilities you would upgrade for and they are not in the current M, move on to a new system. I have an M6 II + 18-150 and several of the Sigma primes that I plan to keep until it they die. My main cameras are the R3, R5 and RF lenses but I enjoy using the M when I want something light and to just have fun. With he ability to adapt EF glass, there is a wide selection of glass for the M (not as small as a dedicated lens).

I think Canon will keep most of the M series in production until revenue begins to decline. The supply chain, staffing, manufacturing and many other considerations are driving companies to re-evaluate their product lines and focus where the have the best opportunity for return.

If Canon produces an R7 I and it is 32mp or more I will pick one up for wildlife photography. I doubt I would buy a smaller profile APS-C R and would stick with the M6 II for travel and casual shooting.

David

Upvote 0
I own an R5 and have used an RP. The RP is about as small as I want to go. On the other hand, I like the size of the M system lenses.
I agree. I also have 2 R6s and an R5 and the RP (at least in terms of the grip) is about as small as I would prefer to go, though they could still trim here and there. Small light RF lenses would really be welcome. The RF 50 and 16 are both a good start, but smaller is better.

Upvote 0
It's funny because you posted this to suggest these are similar and I see something completely different. Where you see two compact cameras I see one compact (actually I think that's pretty bulky compared to my M6ii) and one quite large and bulky one. Where you see a slight difference in size, I see a big trade off between camera gear and bag space for things like food and water. You even chose one of the most compact RF lenses to make your point. Show us the M series with 11-22 next to the R series with 15-35 and you may start to see the problem. In this scenario just the lenses will be 21oz difference, and I can tell you that holding 21oz at arms length for any amount of time is not fun.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that everyone needs small and compact cameras, it'd just be nice that you don't try to kill off the stuff other people need because you don't need it.
Perhaps I should put the RP next to an R5 or R6. I doubt it would change your mind, however, the size difference between the RP and other RF cameras is really significant. If you think the RP is big and bulky, the other RF cameras are outright monsters in comparison. The point I was trying to make was that if Canon really wanted to replace M with RF they're already not that far off with the RP. Doing APS-C just isn't that necessary to get a small camera.

I also don't disagree that M cameras and lenses are small. They should be. If Canon really wants to replace the M line, they'd do well to release some really small RF lenses and trim down the RP body even more. They started the RF line off with big heavy L line pro lenses, but it appears that they're starting to release smaller and lighter lenses as we see with the 50 and 16 RF lenses. BTW, they actually could make even smaller/shorter lenses than that, so I think in another year or so we'll see where this is really going.

All that said, I'm also a pretty firm believer that there is such a thing as too small. For example, my camera phone is rarely used for anything but casual snapshots. Why? It's too hard to hold it still and still get a shot that is shake free. I have gorilla hands, so I'm sure others have differing views on this, but for me personally, below a certain weight/size level my quality of photos goes down because the camera/photo platform is too small for me to effectively use.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0