Canon has discontinued the Canon EOS M6 Mark II

speg

-hetti
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
I would have loved for the M series to have lived a long and prosperous life. Alas, the writing was on the wall long ago. I am sad, but do not regret making the jump to the R series.

Hopefully in the future we get some neat APS-C bodies that are super small and slim, maybe even with some retro styling like the Z fc? Pop some smaller RF lenses on there for your vacation and I’ll be a happy camper.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
The M50 line may live on, because I doubt that Canon will ever make an R at that price point. The M200 could be a replacement for the PowerShot G7, because both have the same no-viewfinder, no-hot-shoe form factor.
The M series uses Powershot menus/software afterall.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The M6II is still being sold on the Canon Japan store.

Individual geographies set their prices (based on HQ guidance) and product mix. If ‘reports from two different countries’ doesn’t include Canon's home country, then it's not really discontinued by Canon. It just means that local Canon management in a couple of countries have decided to stop selling it. Which countries? CRguy doesn't say. Maybe Tuvalu and Liechtenstein.

Regardless, it doesn't mean the EOS M6 II has been discontinued by Canon. Or if you believe that two countries deciding to stop selling the M6 II means that it is discontinued, then you must also believe that because the M2 was not sold in USA or Canada, the M2 was never made by Canon.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I can't remember the last time that Canon acknowledged the existence of M. It's never mentioned in their financial documents. It wasn't even mentioned in their "Canon EOS System celebrates 35th anniversary" press release. I want M to continue, but it looks pretty bleak.
As I pointed out previously, Canon doesn't mention DSLRs in their financial materials either. But Canon DLSRs comprise about 25% of all ILCs shipped across the industry over the past couple of years, and close to half of the ILCs that Canon sold last year were DSLRs.

Financial reporting is mainly aimed at analysts, and they care about what's next not what is in the past. FF MILCs are the growing market, and thus the focus of IR reports. If you look at Toyota's financials, I doubt you'll see any discussion of the gas-powered Corolla. That doesn't mean Toyota is going to stop selling them.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Suggests that Canon is adopting the APSC format into the EOS R system and discontinuing the EF-M system. Frankly makes sense from a business perspective.
We just don’t know.

Just as easily suggests Canon is abandoning APS-C format entirely to further focus on FF MILC. Frankly it may make just as much sense from a business perspective. It could also suggest there will never be an APS-C R7.

Upvote 0
As I pointed out previously, Canon doesn't mention DSLRs in their financial materials either. But Canon DLSRs comprise about 25% of all ILCs shipped across the industry over the past couple of years, and close to half of the ILCs that Canon sold last year were DSLRs.
I doubt that Canon will ever release a "new improved" DSLR. They will most likely just let that product line slowly wither away. In 2021 (CIPA) , DSLR revenue (yen) was -5.7%, and mirrorless revenue was +34.1%.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I doubt that Canon will ever release a "new improved" DSLR. They will most likely just let that product line slowly wither away. In 2021 (CIPA) , DSLR revenue (yen) was -5.7%, and mirrorless revenue was +34.1%.
The 6% y/y drop resulted in a 2021 DSLR market of $700M, Canon's share of which is ~$420M. It would not surprise me to see Canon release a new, entry-level DSLR. That's a pretty big market to let wither, and there's plenty of 90D tech that can trickle down to a new xxxD body to minimize development costs.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
You just ruined my naive hopes of a 5 DIV and a M5 II.
Howl, cry, weep and sob...:cry:
I was one of those waiting for the M5 II. Eventually I gave up and bought the M6 II. I put a viewfinder on it. Since I never use the hotshoe for anything else anyway, it's no biggie. And I'm glad I got it; it's a very convenient package especially for air travel. my 18-200 (Tamron) and the wide angle (10-22? I don't recall off hand) cover all bases.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was one of those waiting for the M5 II. Eventually I gave up and bought the M6 II. I put a viewfinder on it. Since I never use the hotshoe for anything else anyway, it's no biggie. And I'm glad I got it; it's a very convenient package especially for air travel. my 18-200 (Tamron) and the wide angle (10-22? I don't recall off hand) cover all bases.
What do you think of the Tamron 18-200? I sometimes travel with the M6, M18-150, M11-22, and M22/2. On occasion, the extra 50mm would come in handy (not handy enough to make me bring the M18-55 + M55-200 instead of the M18-150, but I might consider the Tamron).

As a side note, Tamron was founded long before personal computers so they had no way of predicting the fact that autocorrect changes the 'r' to a 'p'.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The 6% y/y drop resulted in a 2021 DSLR market of $700M, Canon's share of which is ~$420M. It would not surprise me to see Canon release a new, entry-level DSLR. That's a pretty big market to let wither, and there's plenty of 90D tech that can trickle down to a new xxxD body to minimize development costs.
The long-term trend for DSLRs doesn't look good. (Click on CIPA graphic to enlarge.)

Attachments

• CIPAvaluetrend.jpg
    CIPAvaluetrend.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
I am just like many others who “watching” M6II since its announced but hardly make purchase decision due to uncertainty future of the Canon M series.
Really tempting for M series smaller lenses, if Canon gonna build a small R body (smaller than RP) with few small zoom and prime pancake lens, I believe many M “watchers” will jump into it.
Come on Canon, you could make a small RF 50mm f1.8, EF 40mm f2.8 pancake ane EF-S 24mm f2.8, I know you could did the same or better for RF mount.
I had the M5 in the past, sold it to my good friend, and I own the RP, RP isn’t too much larger than M5, I expect a RF mount APSC body could be smaller or at least maintain the same size just like the M series body.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
On the other hand, Canon might simply start reducing DSLR prices to spike sales.

Upvote 0