Canon Introduces Their First Dual Fisheye Lens for Stereoscopic 3D 180° VR Capture in 8K

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY, October 6, 2021 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, has introduced its first product designed to empower the next generation of immersive storytellers. The new RF5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye lens brings stereoscopic 3D virtual reality (VR) capture* to the EOS R5 camera as part of the EOS VR System, which also includes a future firmware update for the EOS R5 camera to support use of this lens with new VR shooting specific functions, as well as new upcoming Canon EOS VR software solutions for conversion and processing. As the world’s first digital interchangeable dual fisheye lens capable of shooting stereoscopic 3D 180° VR imagery to a single image sensor** the complexities of virtual reality production and the ability to view the content in full capacity are greatly streamlined for seasoned professionals and newcomers to the craft. In...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Canon delivers!

Amazing! Much more compact than I expected. I really like the ability to adjust the distance between the lenses, and to have an aperture of F2.8 available in such an optic is fabulous. If this is remotely affordable I can see it becoming a huge seller.

As an L lens, I’d expect very high sharpness, but I have some reservations about flare, which is apparent in the video, and means that the lens is probably best used when the front elements can be shielded from direct sunlight.

Gimmee, gimmee gimmee!

Upvote 0
Under $2k!?! cheaper than 2x 8-15mm fisheye
Compact and dedicated SW!?!
Would appear to be a sure winner for those in the niche area and cheap enough for newbies to play with it - at least for initial rental.
love that the tripod needs a lateral post extension. I wonder how long it needs to be to avoid tripod legs in frame

Upvote 0
Canon delivers!

Amazing! Much more compact than I expected. I really like the ability to adjust the distance between the lenses, and to have an aperture of F2.8 available in such an optic is fabulous. If this is remotely affordable I can see it becoming a huge seller.

As an L lens, I’d expect very high sharpness, but I have some reservations about flare, which is apparent in the video, and means that the lens is probably best used when the front elements can be shielded from direct sunlight.

Gimmee, gimmee gimmee!
No lens hood for this one :)
Hard to avoid the sun in frame as well.
I imagine that most of the adult content will be indoor though

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Looking at 3:48 in that video, it seems that some of the image is lost due to each lens being visible in the image of its neighbour. Presumably that can be dealt with in post by cropping, but I wonder what the true resolution ends up being in the VR headset. It's surely not 8k.
Remember that 8k is only about 30mp....so there is room on that sensor for overlapping 8k fields from each lens.

Brian

Upvote 0
Remember that 8k is only about 30mp....so there is room on that sensor for overlapping 8k fields from each lens.

Brian
The video shows two distinct image circles, and each circle fills less than half of the sensor. Once stitched together, converted to rectilinear and cropped I suspect you'll be probably able to export a 4K image, which is still great.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The EOS VR Plug-In for Adobe Premiere Pro sounds interesting.
I hope this puts to rest the claims of some on this forum that Canon and Adobe don't work together. Somehow, I doubt that it will, but I can hope.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I hope this puts to rest the claims of some on this forum that Canon and Adobe don't work together. Somehow, I doubt that it will, but I can hope.
One would be mistaken to think otherwise about any of the camera manufacturers. Of course they do.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Under $2k? Can't wait to see how this is used. So interesting!

***We, on the forum, pretty much "screwed the pooch" on the price prediction for this lens.***
Yes, I was certainly wrong about the cost. Can I buy one lens for $1,000? :)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0