Canon Introduces Their First Dual Fisheye Lens for Stereoscopic 3D 180° VR Capture in 8K

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm actually really ticked off about this lens. I hate it when Canon introduces a product that I have zero understanding of how it might work and how it might be used. It reminds me how old I really am. If Viewmasters were good enough when I was a kid, they should be good enough for the kids today. [/SARCASM]

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
What an incredibly fascinating lens. The size of this is absolutely stellar--its super, super compact. If it had been a huge 11-24mm contraption, I think it would really limit the daily use market, but like they show in the material, it's so small and compact why not bring it with you?

I do wonder if there will be more of these lenses. It does seem like an opportunity to start with the pro model for professional users to start making high quality content, and then release a cheaper, consumer model for the everyday consumer who is interested in getting started in VR.

My other thought is--they talk about the R5 a lot, but once an 8k RF mount cinema camera comes out, this will make an incredible cinema mount option for professional VR in TV or movies.

Upvote 0
I have some reservations about flare, which is apparent in the video, and means that the lens is probably best used when the front elements can be shielded from direct sunlight.

I imagine this lens rigged to a small videographic system that includes a mattebox anyway. So I think this problem will be easily overcome.

I am interested in seeing results from it, but I might have to wait a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
This lens remembers me about some analog stereoscopic work my grandpa did in the early 60s:
- Mirrors/prisms to bring two lenses's pictures to one single slide.
- Watching them either in a viewer giving way to half a picture per eye or projected to a screen with polarized light.
This was experimental amateurish work 60 years ago.

Now it is time this technology to be commercialized to give us plenty of chances for great content to be viewed via VR equipment.

Looking forward the creator's work!

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
Paid subscription model means Canon expects a very small number of lenses produced and sold to studios.
I was interested in buying the lens as enthusiast for shooting occasional 3D video clips of nature, but monthly payments to Canon for such occasional use are no go for me.
But the lens looks cool, more like PoC for a new market exploration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This would offer the posibillity of 3D images aswell.
Not just possibility, that's really the whole point of having two lenses on it. 3D is part and parcel of "VR."

I wasn't even remotely interested in this lens when CR first reported it, but I've been won over by Canon's approach and importantly also the price. Pre-ordered.

Upvote 0
I wasn't even remotely interested in this lens when CR first reported it, but I've been won over by Canon's approach and importantly also the price. Pre-ordered.
Lets not forget the other reason to buy it, the partner in your life might be suspicious if you just bought the Oculus Quest 2 to watch videos on the internet.
If you have the lens you can say you bought it to review your videos.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Not just possibility, that's really the whole point of having two lenses on it. 3D is part and parcel of "VR."
Are you concerned about needing one of Canon’s “…two paid subscription-based software solutions as available options for completing the post-production process?”

Upvote 0
Are you concerned about needing one of Canon’s “…two paid subscription-based software solutions as available options for completing the post-production process?”
A little. I pretty much hate subscription services in general. I'm still a little miffed at Adobe for going subscription-only. Just have to hope that the price is reasonable, and need to stay on top of cancelling it when not actively using it.

Upvote 0