Canon launches “PHIL”, a photo culling app for iOS

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon USA has launched a new photo culling app for iOS. Sorry, there’s no Android version at the moment. The app retails for $14.99 per year or $2.99 per month. Both options come with a free 3-day trial.
The Photo Culling app will go through your library and find images that are similar or low-quality and will suggest which photos to keep and which photos to delete. Don’t worry though, you still have total control if the “AI” doesn’t agree with you.
The app will also rate images based on sharpness, noise, emotion and whether or not your subjects have their eyes closed.
This seems like a good idea if you happen to shoot 20fps at stationary objects.

Press Release
MELVILLE, NY, February 11, 2021– According to a recent report from Keypoint...

[url=https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-launches-a-photo-culling-app-for-ios/]Continue reading...

Last edited:
Phone only is dumb. At the very least a native iPad app, but a desktop version is the best option. I am doing a trial and on its first run, it actually did a good job. But I am not sure I want to go from camera to desktop, make a jpeg version, upload to an iOS device, cull the photos, download again to desktop, match the winning photos. I don't see the great time savings. I despise going through group photos looking for the "winners". I know some wise@$$ will say take fewer photos, but I shoot in burst with group photos because someone will blink, another does not smile in time, etc., etc., so burst is helpful when trying to satisfy clients. There is a place for software like this, just not in its current form.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
Burst is awesome. Only way to approach group photos. I tend to go for f8, focus on front row, zoom in on back row to confirm focus and get 100 shots at 7 fps or what ever my camera will do. and yeah it would be great if camera would identify the photos where everybody has eyes open and have their best smiles... DPP to the rescue???

Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
why they dont have canon app store for their cameras by now, i dont know. they have the compute. they have a touch screen interface. mostly have wifi. only weak point i can see is lack of storage for cameras without dual card slots. i dont know how much room they have in the firmware storage for optional stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yeah, that's right... the last thing we need is a subscription based culling software. Lately there is no limit for greed with pretty much all corporates.

It would be greed if it was a required service. Since it's optional, I don't see how it would be considered greedy. It's just an option for people who want it. But yeah, I don't understand why it's phone only. This would probably be useful as a desktop application.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’m guessing the reason it is for phone only is because this app is targeted towards people who don’t want to spend time culling photos or shooting in raw and just want to upload some decent photos to social media. I couldn’t imagine a pro ever trusting this AI and I know I would personally feel compelled to go through all of the photos in my normal process.

Honestly I just wish they would make DPP run as fast as the Adobe products. I’d rather pay $3 a month for that..

Upvote 0
What a great way to train an IA while being paid! They already use your pictures for this if you go through their Canon.image service.
Always keep in mind that Canon is trying hard on CCTV, IP cam and all the surveillance software that goes with it (IA for facial recognition, among other creepy things).
For the foreseeable future, i'm sad to say that there is more growth expected there than in photography industry.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What a great way to train an IA while being paid! They already use your pictures for this if you go through their Canon.image service.
Always keep in mind that Canon is trying hard on CCTV, IP cam and all the surveillance software that goes with it (IA for facial recognition, among other creepy things).
For the foreseeable future, i'm sad to say that there is more growth expected there than in photography industry.
Watch out people. Forget about artificial intelligence, now even intelligent artificial is coming for you! o_O

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It's the French version, adjective after the noun.

Excuse me, the "version Fraçais."
Sure, fair enough. I usually avoid commenting on people's language, apologies if it comes across as an insult. I just felt like goofing around a bit, since I don't perceive Canon to be a noteworthy thread compared to many other players in the field of face detection aided surveillance.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Sure, fair enough. I usually avoid commenting on people's language, apologies if it comes across as an insult. I just felt like goofing around a bit, since I don't perceive Canon to be a noteworthy thread compared to many other players in the field of face detection aided surveillance.
No, it didn't come across to me as an insult, but then I didn't post the comment.

Languages, though, are a casual hobby of mine and differences in grammar (like head first or head last) are always interesting.

Upvote 0