Canon LP-E6 Product Advisory

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/canon-lp-e6-product-advisory/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/canon-lp-e6-product-advisory/">Tweet</a></div>
<p><b>Affected Product</b>

Canon LP-E6 Battery Pack when used with the Canon LC-E6 Charger

(Compatible with Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 6D, EOS 7D, EOS 70D, EOS 60D, EOS 60Da)</p>
<p><b>Symptom</b>

In rare cases, the orange lamp on the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6 will blink rapidly at regular intervals when the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 is inserted. In such cases, charging the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 in the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6 is not possible.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<table width="542.0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td rowspan="2" valign="middle">Battery Condition</td>
<td colspan="2" valign="middle">Charge Lamp</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="middle">Color</td>
<td valign="middle">Indicator</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="middle">Standby for charge</td>
<td rowspan="5" valign="middle">Orange</td>
<td valign="middle">Blinks once per second</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="middle">Communication error</td>
<td valign="middle">Blinks rapidly</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="middle">0 – 49%</td>
<td valign="middle">Blinks once per second</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="middle">50 – 74%</td>
<td valign="middle">Blinks twice per second</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="middle">75% or higher</td>
<td valign="middle">Blinks three times per second</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="middle">Fully charged</td>
<td valign="middle">Green</td>
<td valign="middle">Lights up</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
<p>This symptom may occur when a Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 has been discharged due to being unused for a prolonged period of time, such as when it is first purchased.</p>
<p>If this occurs, please follow the procedure below.</p>
<p><b>Procedure</b></p>
<ol>
<li>Plug the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6, with the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 inserted, into a power outlet.</li>
<li>Wait for 20 seconds.If during this time the orange lamp blinks once per second, please continue to charge the battery until the green lamp lights up, which indicates a full charge. At this point, the battery is ready for normal use, and there is no need to follow the remaining steps.

If during this time the orange lamp blinks rapidly, please move on to Step 3 of this procedure.</li>
<li>If the orange lamp blinks rapidly, remove the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 from the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6.</li>
<li>Wait for 10 seconds.</li>
<li>Reinsert the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 into the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6.</li>
<li>The Canon Battery Charger LC-E6’s orange lamp should begin to flash slowly (once per second) and charging will begin.Please note: If the orange lamp blinks rapidly again, please repeat steps 3-5 above. If, after a third attempt, the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 does not charge, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center for assistance.</li>
<li>Charge the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 until the green lamp on the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6 illuminates, signifying that the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 is fully charged.</li>
</ol>
<p><b>Use of non-genuine Canon Battery Packs</b>

The situation may also occur when attempts are made to charge non-genuine Canon Battery Packs in the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6. However, the procedure provided above does not apply to the use of non-genuine Canon products.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Canon Rumors said:
The situation may also occur when attempts are made to charge non-genuine Canon Battery Packs in the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6. However, the procedure provided above does not apply to the use of non-genuine Canon products.

In essence, does this mean Canon tried to embed a non-genuine battery detection into the charger and screwed it up? Given the recent fw updates that break 3rd party battery compatibility Canon trying the same on the hardware side is a possibility, but man, that's really beyond what *I* would expect of them.

Lucke me I'm still using my 60D charger for my 6D, I haven't even unpacked the new one, an now I'm unlikely to do so :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Marsu42 said:
Canon Rumors said:
The situation may also occur when attempts are made to charge non-genuine Canon Battery Packs in the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6. However, the procedure provided above does not apply to the use of non-genuine Canon products.

In essence, does this mean Canon tried to embed a non-genuine battery detection into the charger and screwed it up? Given the recent fw updates that break 3rd party battery compatibility Canon trying the same on the hardware side is a possibility, but man, that's really beyond what *I* would expect of them.

I don't think it means that. But if Canon were to state or imply that the 'fix' works with 3rd party batteries, it would mean they'd have to have validated it with all 3rd party brands...and why would they do that? Cheaper to exclude them (but the verbal/philosophical push to stick with OEM accessories isn't accidental).

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2012
Steb said:
Marsu42 said:
In essence, does this mean Canon tried to embed a non-genuine battery detection into the charger and screwed it up?

To me it sounds like they have trouble to supply the internal electronics sufficiently when the battery is deeply discharged. I don't think this is related to their security stuff.

I think steb nailed it. With a lot of Apple's lithium batteries, when really really dead they require a process similar to this. Quite often they'll be beyond saving though.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Marsu42 said:
Canon Rumors said:

No... it has to do with the current use characteristics of a deeply discharged Li battery. The charger should be self limiting and causing a "battery error" mode of signaling, as well as cutting the charge current when the current exceeds a preset threshold for a certain time period. The time period is also preset, and designed to limit the heat build up on the charger's components (and perhaps within the battery pack as well, or both). By cycling the initial charge cycle, you're getting a battery pack off its voltage floor and as such requiring less charging current. This happens on obscure power tool batteries that have sat on dealers shelves too long. What Canon didn't say.... is that if your battery is in such a state, its charged capacity is also greatly reduced. Rule of thumb - never deep discharge a Li battery, and charge promptly.
I don't think it means that. But if Canon were to state or imply that the 'fix' works with 3rd party batteries, it would mean they'd have to have validated it with all 3rd party brands...and why would they do that? Cheaper to exclude them (but the verbal/philosophical push to stick with OEM accessories isn't accidental).

Upvote 0
CharlieB said:
The charger should be self limiting and causing a "battery error" mode of signaling, as well as cutting the charge current when the current exceeds a preset threshold for a certain time period.

Ok, so I understand this part is somewhat Canon's fault because they're too cheap to produce a charger that is able to handle the situation without user intervention?

sjschall said:
Funny timing - this JUST happened to me after never experiencing it with a 3 yr old LC-E6 and battery, with regular use. As stated, popped it off and back on again and it charged right up.

On reflection, I might have also done this couple of times, but w/o thinking about it or guessing that there's some dust blocking the contacts. But then again, it might have been dust.

paul13walnut5 said:
I have two non-charging LP-E6's. And the guts of a dead bg-e7.

Probably I'm mis-understanding the advisory - again - but for me it says that a completely discharged batter might need to be put into the charger twice... there is nothing "broken" as such, it's just an advice for the proper procedure as the charger doesn't cope on its own. As also stated above, not being able to recharge low-discharged batteries might happen with the current tech, so this does not qualify as a warranty case?

Btw: You should have bought 10x 3rd party batteries instead of 2x Canon original :-> ... my current as-cheap-as-it-gets chipped version is recognized in my 6d just fine and lasts as long as the Canon.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Its just a process for trying to revive batteries that have sat too long in a warehouse and are discharged so much that the internal battery electronics tells the charger that it can't be charged.
Giving the battery even a couple of seconds worth of charge before the charger cuts out might allow it to come to life.

Since Canon does not design or control the electronics in fake Canon batteries, it would be impossible to guarantee it would work for them, and tomorrow it could change. (I use the term fake to mean any battery not produced by Canon, but which tells the camera its a Canon battery.)

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

UPDATE:

After talking to the Canon service centre I was advised to send the battery charger and batteries in...

Leaving me without the use of my camera..

I took an aditional call from a lady at canon (02087314132) who advised that in fact the best thing to do was to buy a newer charger which has been altered to solve this issue.

I asked if they could, as a goodwill gesture, refresh my batteries for me on the new charger (as my exsisting charger is working fine) but no. They want more money.

I explained that as an individual and corporately I have spent a lot of money with canon and will be spending more when we get our C camera, but to no avail.

Canon have failed me time after time with the 7D (CF UDMA issue, LPE6 issue, BG-E7 issue) and historically when I administered a camera hire facility (18 of 20 camcorders dead through Sony CCD issue, 6x XL lenses with back focus problems)

They never fail to dissapoint.

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
I asked if they could, as a goodwill gesture, refresh my batteries for me on the new charger (as my exsisting charger is working fine) but no. They want more money.

I am surprised you expect otherwise, my experiences at least with the next local Canon service is the same - they are there to earn money alright. It might be a bit different if you pull your platinum video cps card, but I wouldn't bet on it, the main cps advantage is repair time and replacement gear, not freebies.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
I've not had any trouble with my Canon LP-E6. Also been using a pair of Wasabi to good effect, however they don't seem to last as long as the Canon, even though their maH rating is higher than the Canon. Also, the "battery info" menu shows 7% charge remaining on the Wasabis, when it's really 0%...where the Canon battery info shows accurately. I guess it's not too surprising, they're 1/6 the price of the Canon battery!

Upvote 0
After reading this, I don't feel quite so insane.

I recently took the plunge on a 6D kit. It arrived at my office, I took it home at lunch and put the battery on to charge and went back to my office. When I got home that night the light was still blinking orange and the battery had no charge when I put it in the camera. I switched outlets with the charger and set it to charge again. It was fine after that.

I had been thinking that I somehow inserted it improperly (which seems almost impossible) or that there was something wrong with the original outlet (even though I use it all the time). Nice to know it was a super-drained battery.

Upvote 0
The problem is the charger that comes with the 5D3 is different than the 5D2. The 5D3 charger most definitely was 'upgraded' to prevent working/charging third-party batteries such as the four Maxial batteries I have. The Maxial batteries charge fine on my 5D2 charger.

I purchased Wasabi batteries and they charge fine on both chargers.

I should add even the 5D3 charger had difficulty charging Canon batteries. A quick ride to Canon Service Center in NJ fixed that as they just handed me a new charger.

Upvote 0
JohnUSA said:
The problem is the charger that comes with the 5D3 is different than the 5D2. The 5D3 charger most definitely was 'upgraded' to prevent working/charging third-party batteries such as the four Maxial batteries I have. The Maxial batteries charge fine on my 5D2 charger.

Interesting, you're the first one to verify my suspicions from above. Does your 3rd party battery show up as genuine in your 5d3 camera, i.e. has it a newer/working chip?

Upvote 0
The 5D3 will display the "Unknown battery..." warning with my two year old Maximal batteries, but the batteries will work fine and camera will remember/register the batteries. The newer Wasabi batteries there is no warning. The Wasabi batteries are about 3+ months old.

Here's the model numbers of both LC-E6 chargers:
ZFAD - Came with the 5D2 and will charge the Maximal and Wasabi batteries with no problem
AJBC - Came with the 5D3 and will charge the new Wasabi batteries but not the Maximal batteries.

I think I burnt out the first 5D3 charger by letting the Maximal battery charge for hours and the battery actually drained to zero. It's so convenient having a 35 minute drive to Canon's service center. As mentioned they replaced it on the spot, no waiting.

Upvote 0
My brand new SterlingTek batteries won't even work in my 5D3 any more after the last firmware upgrade and the two Canon batteries I just bought to replace them won't charge in my SterlingTek battery chargers or my other third-party charger nor will the original Canon battery that came with my 5D3 charge in anything but the charger that came with the camera. It's gotten frustrating!

Upvote 0