Canon officially announces the Canon EOS M50 Mark II

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I have a feeling that it's the same people who in the not-so-distant-past kept shitting on the Rebel line (where not even the double digit models were worthy of their consideration) are exactly the same ones who just don't seem to get the product differentiation of the M series and keep moaning about how the entry model isn't pro enough for them. Just as an EOS 4000D wouldn't feature (m)any more advanced features than the 90D so the M50 II was never going to be light-years ahead of the M6 II. It needn't even be a lot "better" than the much older M5. (Also look at the incremental updates of the 250D, and the 850D. But yeah, Canon is doomed. And so is mankind.

Also the same people who can't see the 600 and 800 F/11s for what they are - an innovation made possible by the RF system and a gateway in to birding/airshows/supertele work for those masses without big white cash to drop.

-Brian

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
You may see IBIS in an M series, though maybe not for a while at this price point.

I'm banking on it. Without an update to the m6, then where does this line go? I'll be using them for the next 10 years if if they get discontinued, as they can go everywhere with great image quality. Ive been holding off on a m6mk2 for months, as ibis is sooooo important.

Upvote 0
This is not meant to be an upgrade for existing M50 users...Primarily this is just meant to new users who previously would have bought the M50.

Agreed. People need to remember that Canon's intended upgrade path for lower-end cameras is to move to the next tier (and eventually full frame -- which is why the EOS RP exists). Refreshes of the same model are to keep that model competitive at that price point...for those who will be buying at that level for the first time.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
The 2016 EU law about video cameras, google it. Then there is heat. Finally, this is a mid level body. That' is more than enough for me to understand.
I think the EU removed that tariff in 2019 when their changes to the WTO Information Technology Agreement came into effect. I don't think they've changed the criteria to define a video-focused camera versus a stills-focused camera (key being the 30 min limit), but I believe there isn't a significant discrepancy in tariffs between the two products any more, so the reason to institute recording limits may be diminished. I believe someone asked the question of the EU and got this response (the last paragraph kind of says it all). That said, there may be other countries with the same restriction resulting in the 30min limit sticking around for a while.

Upvote 0
Agreed. People need to remember that Canon's intended upgrade path for lower-end cameras is to move to the next tier (and eventually full frame -- which is why the EOS RP exists). Refreshes of the same model are to keep that model competitive at that price point...for those who will be buying at that level for the first time.

I agree with this. A lot of people saw the RP as a mirrorless 6D II, but I see it more as a full-frame M50 (operation, controls, etc.).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Is it me or does canon hate unlimited record time?
I am no expert on video, but my understanding is that the 29 minute, 59 second time limit on recording is done to comply with some countries' requirements (Europe?). It's not a decision made by Canon and isn't unique to just Canon cameras. In fact, many DSLRs and mirrorless with video capability have the same video time limit.

EDIT: FYI, here's a link explaining the video time limit found in many cameras.... https://streamdm.com.au/dslr-30-min-recording-limit-explained-workaround/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
In other news... "The iPhone 12 Pro features a three 12MP camera modules: a 13mm-equivalent F2.4 ultrawide camera with a five-element lens; a 26mm-equivalent F1.6 wide (standard) camera with optical image stabilization and a seven-element lens; and a 52mm-equivalent F2.0 telephoto camera with optical image stabilization and a six-element lens." (Quote from DPR)

Upvote 0
I am disappointed because for the most part it doesn't do anything for me, who owns an M50. This should have been an update not a new model, very misleading to the public. I will save my money and use my current model, for photo's it's perfect.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I am no expert on video, but my understanding is that the 29 minute, 59 second time limit on recording is done to comply with some countries' requirements (Europe?). It's not a decision made by Canon and isn't unique to just Canon cameras. In fact, many DSLRs and mirrorless with video capability have the same video time limit.

EDIT: FYI, here's a link explaining the video time limit found in many cameras.... https://streamdm.com.au/dslr-30-min-recording-limit-explained-workaround/
It was got rid of (eu) in 2019 citations have been posted previously on CR

Edit:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
All jokes aside, this camera is not going to excite the masses, but I'll bet it sells incredibly well. The most important feature is the price and the release date. I suspect the vast majority of potential buyers are just looking for something better than their cell phone, with interchangeable lenses, and not too expensive.

Speaking from my own limited experience, I've had plenty of friends and colleagues ask for guidance on buying their first interchangeable lens camera, and more often than not their budget is between $500 and $800, with a lens. I've tried to help them in making a decision by looking over prices of new cameras and there just isn't that much competition at that price point. Having this be a "new" camera in a reasonable price bracket will make attractive to first time buyers.
A good assessment of the market for the M-50.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2020

well why have the last FEW Sony cameras have had no limit. I’m sorry but the EU thing isn’t cutting it anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0