Canon officially announces the Canon EOS M50 Mark II

I am disappointed because for the most part it doesn't do anything for me, who owns an M50. This should have been an update not a new model, very misleading to the public. I will save my money and use my current model, for photo's it's perfect.

It's interesting that many said the same thing when the M6ii came out. Maybe people need to face the facts that the original M50 was just an excellent camera for its time and to some extent still is.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It's interesting that many said the same thing when the M6ii came out. Maybe people need to face the facts that the original M50 was just an excellent camera for its time and to some extent still is.

Really? I got the impression the M6ii was a huge improvement over the old M6. That new sensor, if nothing else.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

No one said this. The M6II was a massive upgrade over any other M series camera

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
At least Canon kept the price the same.
I was not expecting much at this price point but I was expecting them to remove the crop and have phase detect dual pixel autofocus in 4K.

Canon did not keep the price the same. The original M50 sold for $779. This one is $180 cheaper. ($200 cheaper with the kit lens) And yet CR gear-heads expected all sort of high-level improvements.

It's an entry level camera. Is that too hard to understand for gear-heads? The target market cares about a cheap camera, easy to use for stills and simple video. Small and light. A couple lenses that cover from wide to moderate telephoto, yet keep the small and light form factor. That's what they want and that's what Canon gives them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Would have been something to upgrade the current m50 for me if it had good autofocus in 4k....would have been nice to have since the m50 is great on the gimbal and then I could have 4k across all cameras. Probably good since I really shouldn't spend any more money for a while after picking up the R5.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It is interesting that somehow all of a sudden a noticeable improvement in AF is considered a minor update. The day of the DSLR already seem to faint in the memories of forum participants. This is nothing like the 650D to 700D move, which really was disappointing. We're getting actual video features.

How often did Canon put a new AF sensor on a new model? Even today, some STILL use the ancient 9 dot diamond that isn't even all cross type. And here they are putting in an actual improvement and it gets glossed over.

Canon did not keep the price the same. The original M50 sold for $779. This one is $180 cheaper. ($200 cheaper with the kit lens) And yet CR gear-heads expected all sort of high-level improvements.
Thanks for reminding us. I was wondering about the price, as I had also remembered the M50 originally being 700-ish and just becoming a greater value over time due to lowering the price. That they actually cut the price this heavily over the original launch while doing some appreciable updates to the AF seems like a really nice move.

Upvote 0

Roby Davis

EOSR, M50, 6DMKII, 70D, 5DMKII, 40D, 30D, RebelXT
Oct 13, 2020
robydavis.com
A whole lot of people complaining that the base model isn't a Ferrari? Hmmm...

I dont think that's accurate. I made the mistake of selling my m50 assuming Canon would use the same upgrade logic they used for the m6 > m6MKII. I'm not looking for an r5 for the cost of a m50, in fact I'm ok with spending more for the m50 if given the right upgrade.

I want
1. Smallish camera body (m50 is a perfect frame)
2. Uncropped 4k (m6 MKii is perfect)
3. Decent built in viewfinder (m50 is perfect)
4. Flip out screen (m50 is perfect)
5. Clean HDMI (m50 MKII delivered)

I dont need but will take it...
LOG \ RAW
IBIS
4k 60

Upvote 0
I dont think that's accurate. I made the mistake of selling my m50 assuming Canon would use the same upgrade logic they used for the m6 > m6MKII. I'm not looking for an r5 for the cost of a m50, in fact I'm ok with spending more for the m50 if given the right upgrade.

I want
1. Smallish camera body (m50 is a perfect frame)
2. Uncropped 4k (m6 MKii is perfect)
3. Decent built in viewfinder (m50 is perfect)
4. Flip out screen (m50 is perfect)
5. Clean HDMI (m50 MKII delivered)

I dont need but will take it...
LOG \ RAW
IBIS
4k 60

So you are willing to pay Ferrari bucks for a Ferrari?

Upvote 0