Canon officially announces the Canon EOS M50 Mark II

My interest is really for a high-end M series with built-in viewfinder and 32+MP (ideal ...) and this is clearly not it.

But what would have been nice would have been some "warm words" from Canon about their investment in the M-series, how it's a long term platform, here to stay. But I had a look on their web site and not even an announcement about this camera. And hopefully a high end model announced before too much longer (but we all have ideals and hopes and have to compromise)

Ian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

photographer

CR Pro
Jan 17, 2020
Is it me or does canon hate unlimited record time?

In 2006, the European Union created a law that added an import duty of 5-12% to any video camera. What determined whether a camera was a video camera? In short, the ability to record longer than 30 minutes. Thus, companies like Canon and Nikon decided to cap their video clip lengths, preventing their enthusiast and prosumer cameras from being considered video cameras.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2020
In 2006, the European Union created a law that added an import duty of 5-12% to any video camera. What determined whether a camera was a video camera? In short, the ability to record longer than 30 minutes. Thus, companies like Canon and Nikon decided to cap their video clip lengths, preventing their enthusiast and prosumer cameras from being considered video cameras.

So why does Sony do it?

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Well, tell me one Canon camera with unlimited recording time outside the cinema line. Even their super expensive R5 has the stupid 30 minute recording limit
Their professional and consumer camcorder line.
I am not sure why people think the only video cameras that Canon makes are cinema cameras.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Vertical Video is for the smart phone. It is easier to hold the phone vertically and watch the video and still have a full screeen video.

It's for people too ignorant to turn their phone before videoing.

Edit: That being said, there are RARE occasions where it's appropriate to video in portrait mode, but you will pay the price if you try to post it for playback including on those sites that feel they have to put those annoying "space filling" dimmed images of your video on either side.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010

Edit: That being said, there are RARE occasions where it's appropriate to video in portrait mode, but you will pay the price if you try to post it for playback including on those sites that feel they have to put those annoying "space filling" dimmed images of your video on either side.
I do not like vertical video either. But you will be surprised to see how many vertcal video are in the Asia video sites, including TV series.

Upvote 0
My interest is really for a high-end M series with built-in viewfinder and 32+MP (ideal ...) and this is clearly not it.

But what would have been nice would have been some "warm words" from Canon about their investment in the M-series, how it's a long term platform, here to stay. But I had a look on their web site and not even an announcement about this camera. And hopefully a high end model announced before too much longer (but we all have ideals and hopes and have to compromise)

Ian

It all depends on how well the new M50 sells. If it tanks, then the M mount is likely going to go away. I thought they were going to keep it around, but with no new lens announcements, and such a minimal update on the M50, it looks like Canon is probably looking to phase it out.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It all depends on how well the new M50 sells. If it tanks, then the M mount is likely going to go away. I thought they were going to keep it around, but with no new lens announcements, and such a minimal update on the M50, it looks like Canon is probably looking to phase it out.

Or possibly, this is a trial balloon. If it does well, then they think continued support and maybe even development of the M series might be worthwhile.

But that's really just the flip side of your speculation.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

To be honest, I do not like looking at vertical video on a desktop monitor (My main way of using the internet). But the few times that I did record video on my smartphone, I did it in vertical. It simply is the way orientation that smartphones are meant to be operated in, from an ergonomic point of view. And since I'm using my smartphone for the video, it sure as hell isn't amazing quality that I'm getting, so I may at least be comfortable doing it.

In the same sense, it makes sense to shoot vertical if you are certain that your content is going to be consumed on a smartphone. So adding it to the M50 seems like a good idea considering the target demographic.

To ramble on a bit: One of the times I was taking such a video with my smartphone, I was on Gran Canaria, sitting in a bus that was driving me down from the mountains. The clouds had begun to creep down the mountain, making hthe ride down the serpentines fairly impressive, so it was quite a ride for someone coming from the flat, flat region of northern Germany. So in the moment I felt the tour was worth documenting and propped up my phone vertically against the window, supporting it in my hand. Basically doing it as lazily as possible, since I was exhausted by the day of hiking. Shortly after, I heard an elderly fellow who was sitting directly behind me tell his wife how he would never even consider filming vertically, since obviously TVs aren't vertical. He wasn't to charming in expressing that, essentially going on about "the youth of today" (I'm in my mid 20s) in a cliché tone. He did all this in German, so I understood him perfectly well. I don't know if he just didn't care if he came across as rude or wasn't able to consider that I may understand him perfectly well :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0
It all depends on how well the new M50 sells.....
It will be interesting to see. I suspect it wont have massive uptake (still nothing about it on Canon's UK website main page, not a "show stopper" upgrade). My guess is that anybody who was going to get an M50 anyway will maybe wait (if their need is not urgent) and get the Mk II instead but unlikely to draw many new customers. But I claim no expertise - personal opinion only.

I see one of it's strengths as a travel camera and not many people travelling at the moment so maybe a reasonable portion of the market is not buying anything at the moment. But I believe things will change longer term so it would be a shame for a line to be discontinued because part of its market went "on hold" for a time.

Ian

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
You might want to check sales figures....the M is a cash cow, esp when compared to the RF line.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I said the new M50. We'll see how well people receive such an incremental update.

The typical M50 buyer walks into the store and buys "a camera" and is unlikely to be aware this is a new model.

I doubt a current owner is going to bother to sell and upgrade.

And Canon surely has already taken that into account. They're expecting to sell these to new buyers, just like most M50s-without-mark-number in the past, but I don't think they're expecting the existing user base to try to convert and give them a huge spike in sales.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The typical M50 buyer walks into the store and buys "a camera" and is unlikely to be aware this is a new model.

I doubt a current owner is going to bother to sell and upgrade.

And Canon surely has already taken that into account. They're expecting to sell these to new buyers, just like most M50s-without-mark-number in the past, but I don't think they're expecting the existing user base to try to convert and give them a huge spike in sales.
Furthermore, (agree with your comment btw) expecting the M series to be part of a users logical upgrade to FF(re: RF) somewhat silly, imho. Canon knows fully well how a larger segment of their buyers stays in an ecosystem than moves up, not 'then' moves up. These days, if you're heading towards the big leagues, you start somewhat large from the gitgo and buy bigger. i.e. Rebels were only a gateway drug for less than 1% of shooters. The CR crowd is atypical and a tiny minority.

Upvote 0