Canon officially announces the Canon EOS M50 Mark II

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
In the same sense, it makes sense to shoot vertical if you are certain that your content is going to be consumed on a smartphone. So adding it to the M50 seems like a good idea considering the target demographic.

I look at things on the phone in horizontal orientation quite frequently. Rotating the phone 90º is not that monumental an effort. Besides a lifetime of seeing movies and TV, the experience of having two eyes arranged horizontally makes that seem more intuitive.

Upvote 0
Oh I read that correctly, no need to school marm me, my take on their profits is the line is rock solid, one dud model or whatnot.

Dud or not, they don't seem to have any interest in further developing the M mount. No new lenses, or any on the horizon that anyone can see. A new body with some firmware updates. They're floating this camera to see if it gets the same sales as its predecessor. Canon knows it probably won't, but the improvements it has likely didn't cost much in R&D, so why not. It would be better for everyone if they make an RF-S line of cameras. Canon gets to further streamline its manufacturing process, and we don't have to worry about investing in an entirely different mount if we want an APS-C mirrorless camera.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The typical M50 buyer walks into the store and buys "a camera" and is unlikely to be aware this is a new model.

I doubt a current owner is going to bother to sell and upgrade.

And Canon surely has already taken that into account. They're expecting to sell these to new buyers, just like most M50s-without-mark-number in the past, but I don't think they're expecting the existing user base to try to convert and give them a huge spike in sales.
I believe all of that is true but there are a lot of disappointed people hoping to upgrade.
The question is if Canon will provide a camera for those people to upgrade to at a price that interests them.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I look at things on the phone in horizontal orientation quite frequently. Rotating the phone 90º is not that monumental an effort. Besides a lifetime of seeing movies and TV, the experience of having two eyes arranged horizontally makes that seem more intuitive.
I am not saying that rotating is too much of an effort. Just that at least with my hands and my smartphone, vertical orientation is simpler to maintain over longer periods. To type in horizontal orientation for example, I would need both hands, while I can do it with one in vertical.

I simply don't see vertical video as the hellspawn that some may describe it. I rotate my phone accordingly when viewing images in horizontal or vertical format, so that the fill up the whole screen. Why not do the same with video? If you know how your content is consumed, and Canon gives you a new option to tailor it more specifically to that platform, I think it is just fine to take advantage of that.

There's a place and a time. That's all I'm saying. I also can see how your point of a lifetime of watching stuff in horizontal is why I originally wrote demographic, and not market segment. When your main way of interacting with media doesn't even have the option of rotation (TV, Laptop) or requires a decent amount of effort (PC monitor), it makes much more sense to settle on one orientation.

But Canon can't afford to enforce 'the right way' when a part of the market simply uses devices with different characteristics that influence the way content is consumed.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I believe all of that is true but there are a lot of disappointed people hoping to upgrade.
The question is if Canon will provide a camera for those people to upgrade to at a price that interests them.
There are also a lot of disappointed people waiting for an M5 upgrade to M6 mkll specs. The M6 has been out for over a year and still nothing. I have a difficult time understanding Canon's strategy here. And now back to discussing the M50 and how to hold a camera...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There are also a lot of disappointed people waiting for an M5 upgrade to M6 mkll specs. The M6 has been out for over a year and still nothing ...
In same respects that is the position I'm in. Ideal is a EVF (as part of camera rather than clip-on), more pixels (for flexibility when cropping; though 32 would be OK). That the higher-end update was not released now is not a massive issue as much as my being unsure about Canon's commitment to the M-series.

If I could go travelling tomorrow I'd opt for the M6 II (with a clip-on viewfinder) but I can't head off right now so I'm happy to wait in the hope Canon will have further announcements and some warm words about their commitment to the M-mount.

I don't interpret the M50 II as a commitment as (with no knowledge of development timescales, etc.) I guess it was in the pipeline anyway so release/production was not big cost so a bit of a no-brainer and would allow any decision to be delayed a bit (and avoid any M50 reviews "in need of an update" or "has now lagged behind ..."

Ian

Upvote 0
Canon did not keep the price the same. The original M50 sold for $779. This one is $180 cheaper. ($200 cheaper with the kit lens) And yet CR gear-heads expected all sort of high-level improvements.

It's an entry level camera. Is that too hard to understand for gear-heads? The target market cares about a cheap camera, easy to use for stills and simple video. Small and light. A couple lenses that cover from wide to moderate telephoto, yet keep the small and light form factor. That's what they want and that's what Canon gives them.

This reply misses the point for me.

M200 is entry level, the M50 is the next step up. In Canons own words its a premium entry level :D

We can't say for certain but it looks like the MKii is the same camera. By that I mean it is potentially the same camera. We already know it uses the same sensor and the same Digic processor. Yes it may be cheaper than the original M50 (although those prices don't tally with what I remember in the UK) but how is that a plus point? The technology is two years old, it certainly should be cheaper!

Yes people may been caught dreaming about the rumoured specs, but this Mkii just looks like a firmware update and a rebadge.

That, to me, isn't good enough.

I would be very interested to see a teardown of this "new" camera to see if my assumptions are correct.

I would also be very interested in someone with far more technical skills than me get their hands on the firmware the Mkii runs on (or a modified version) and tests it on the M50 Mki.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
M50 II is not an upgrade from M50. It is just a newer model. It almost like the XXXD ( Rebel series) . The newer model is just a slight improvement of the previous one, not an upgrade. To upgrade, we have to move from XXXD to XXD. A real upgrade for M50 user will be M5 II ( if it ever comes). or M6 II. The mission of M5 II is to get the XXXD user into the mirrorless. It is a $600 body only, $700 with a kit lens.

Upvote 0
What if the upgrades were really the m6 mkiii?

Because this aint making it at all. Better AF is always good but no ibis...GTFOH

Canon always stated the M6ii was the flagship. So they kept their word about something. The scaled down IBIS in the A7c and new Fuji have not proven worthit in early online reviews so far.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
I had the M5 since launch and it was amazing back then compared to my 6D but after owning the A7 III then the Canon R6, I couldn’t deal with the AF any more.

I got the M50 Mark II just over a week ago and I actually really like it. I do kinda miss the extra dials of the M5 and it did feel a bit more solid, but I wouldn’t trade those for the fully articulating screen and significantly better AF.

Upvote 0