Canon officially announces the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM

Sep 17, 2014
Canon: "A premium build and construction with a metal lens mount denotes a quality performer. "

Wow, that's a good surprise. I expected an all plastic cheapo lens. Now we just need a better standard zoom and an updated M5 with better build.

Btw, is Canon capable of manufacturing an M camera with access to the battery door when on tripod? Sony was able to do it on a tiny A6300.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Possibly, but why? A really long time lapse application? Otherwise, why not just open the clamp and change the battery/card?
Why? Because then don't have to unscrew and remove the quick release plate every single time i want to replace the tiny battery. When shooting product pictures for hours in studio or landscapes.

It's just ignorance from Canon's part, they could easily modify the battery door design.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Why? Because then don't have to unscrew and remove the quick release plate every single time i want to replace the tiny battery. When shooting product pictures for hours in studio or landscapes.

It's just ignorance from Canon's part, they could easily modify the battery door design.

So you don't need to remove it from the tripod (although that's what you initially stated), you just have an issue with the quick release plate. Perhaps ignorance is involved, but not on Canon's part. I've used a Hejnar 0.8" plate (Arca Swiss-compatible, works on my RRS clamps) on the EOS M, M2, and M6. It allows the battery door to open fully.

index.php

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida

If you have a camera plate that won't allow access to your battery door, then you have the wrong camera plate.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
So you don't need to remove it from the tripod (although that's what you initially stated), you just have an issue with the quick release plate. Perhaps ignorance is involved, but not on Canon's part. I've used a Hejnar 0.8" plate (Arca Swiss-compatible, works on my RRS clamps) on the EOS M, M2, and M6. It allows the battery door to open fully.

index.php

Yes, obviously have to remove it from tripod also if the plate blocking the door.

You found one tiny plate which works. So what about a slightly bigger one? I have a geared macro head with a slightly bigger plate.
I'm only asking Canon to move the door hinge slightly further from the tripod mount.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, obviously have to remove it from tripod also if the plate blocking the door.

You found one tiny plate which works. So what about a slightly bigger one? I have a geared macro head with a slightly bigger plate.
I'm only asking Canon to move the door hinge slightly further from the tripod mount.
I see. The fact remains, there are plates that allow the battery door to open. Not one, many. Including a full size, modular L-bracket for the M5 from RRS. Perhaps you simply chose a poor plate/clamp system. I made that mistake initially, with Manfrotto. Arca-compatible has been a much better choice, as I can mount cameras from a PowerShot S100 to a 1D X, or a 600/4 lens, to anything from a Blackrapid strap or Spider Holster to a macro rail, ballhead, pano head or gimbal.

But I wonder...have you asked Canon? Or have you merely come to a Canon-independent forum to whine and call Canon ignorant for not reading your mind and modifying their camera designs accordingly?

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015

index.php
Thanks, NeuroAnatomist! -- you get the most useful post of the day award! That's exactly the sort of Arca plate I have been looking for to put on my my M6, and did not want a super-expensive plate. Just ordered a 0.8 wide from Hejnar on ebay for $22 with free shipping, not too bad. To OP, This has three slots, so if it needed to be offset to the side it could be.

Upvote 0
From my knothole, I think I could live with EF-M 15-60 F4 IS [quasi-L, like the 32 1.4]. An efl of 24 to almost 100 would be OK. 55 minimum on the long end. Definitely 15 (efl 24) wide. Such a lens would make sense if EF-M starts having more enthusiast-oriented bodies (although arguably the M5 with D80-like features is already an enthusiast camera). If ef-s enthusiast dslr cameras are being eventually phased out they will need to offer more ef-m lenses like this. Seems kind of inevitable.

(f4 throughout the range, please, NOT 3.5-5.6!!!)
Same here! I definitely dislike the EF-M 18-55 for this while it is a reasonably good lens if you do not want or if you cannot bring more stuff with you or if you do not like to switch lenses (on the beach e.g.).

But I disagree with one point: I would leave out the 15mm because I am more or less tele oriented. To satisfy both ranges I would propose two lenses:

EF-M f/4 15-60 IS and (seemless combo with e.g. 55-200, small gap with 70-200)
EF-M f/4 25-100 IS (overlap with 70-200, seemless with 100-400)

both providing at least 1:4 maximum reproduction ratio.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Suitable little Arca plates that don't obstruct battery door on Canon EOS M can be had for as little as € 4,99
I am using a "Mengs"-branded TY-C10 plate, same plate is sold under many different names on Amazon. It has 3 slots for positioning and an anti-twist lip. In the mid-position slot [centered with optical axis] battery door on my EOS M just opens wide enough to switch battery.

14010005101-0011.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Suitable little Arca plates that don't obstruct battery door on Canon EOS M can be had for as little as € 4,99
I am using a "Mengs"-branded TY-C10 plate, same plate is sold under many different names on Amazon. It has 3 slots for positioning and an anti-twist lip. In the mid-position slot [centered with optical axis] battery door on my EOS M just opens wide enough to switch battery.

14010005101-0011.jpg

Thanks, will check them out

Upvote 0
I think this lens looks really nice. I've had a lot of fun with the M5 and the 28mm Macro and the 22mm. Looks like they're gradually working their way up the chain on their primes. What's next a 53mm, 65mm and an 85mm?

It's hard to tell for sure if they have any kind of real commitment to M, but I'd love to see another M5/M6 but with quite a bit better built quality. I'm not sure how much attention it will get with more resources needed to bring EOS R up to speed.

Upvote 0
FWIW I am just a hobbyist, taking photos to please myself and my friends, not a pro at all, but have been at it for over 50 years. Most recently I've been waiting for Canon to step up to EF-M, since I got my M5 to replace an M in December 2016. Some of the EF-M lenses are fine-if-slow, the 11-22 and 22 are more-than-fine, a Zeiss 25mm f/2 Distagon on the EF adapter is terrific. But it's all pretty much "making do".

In the meantime I had a fairly full Canon EF system, and a very full Fuji X system, although earlier this year I cleaned house and they are both gone. I am neither a Nikon nor Canon nor Fuji fanboy, having used all three of these digital systems during the past 12 years or so.

Here is the long-rumored 32mm f/1.4 EF-M at last - hooray! - but where is the rumored M5 Mark 2 body? For me, the absence of an updated body does not bode well, so the timing of this lens is just exactly too late with the release of the EOS R and Nikon Z6/7 systems. Having cleaned house of camera gear recently, as noted, and with EF-M seeming to fall by the wayside, I am in a good place to start fresh with either the Canon RF or Nikon Z system.

There is no doubt that Canon is better at marketing than Nikon - Winnie the Pooh is better at marketing than Nikon. But Nikon has actually provided two bodies with detailed specs, and a real Fuji-style lens roadmap, where Canon has provided one body, plus little but more food for speculation, per this thread. The way I read it, Canon is out there with marketing while Nikon, despite their faults, is out there with pretty good information.

While both companies have also released 4 new lenses, only one of the Canon lenses appeals to me as practical: the 24-105. The others are two showcases plus another short small macro. Not sure what Canon's thing is about short small macros lately, but I already have the EF-M one... Nikon is out there with one showcase lens, plus three that are practical. The bottom line is that I pre-ordered a Z6 with the f/4 24-70. Smaller, lighter, and $800 less expensive (!?) than the EOS R with f/4 24-105. No disrespect to Canon, but consumers make choices - this consumer anyway - based on information, not speculation.

Upvote 0