Canon postpones the release of the Canon Speedlite EL-5

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Sure thing. I have one of these for an Argus TLR, but I'm having a helluva time figuring out how mount it on my R3 (not to mention the challenge of getting flash bulbs for it).

View attachment 207862

:p
Argus TLR - never heard of that one. I had a couple of obscure TLRs - a Weltaflex and a Toyocaflex, before coming to my senses and getting my first SLR (Praktica Nova 1B). Could never get used to seeing the world laterally reversed on TLRs!

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
China
I think it's simple, something like the AD-E1 with the top and bottom connections swapped. Consider RF lenses, that like the multifunction shoe enable more and faster lens functionality. Canon states, "The RF mount has a 12-pin connection between the camera and lens, compared with 8 pins in the EF mount. This enables much faster communication between lens and camera, and much greater bandwidth for data transfer. This unlocks many benefits, and gives developers scope to add even more features in the future." Yet, a simple adapter enables those older EF lenses to work with the new mount.

I don't think Canon will make one, but I think it would be easy for them to do so.
The Canon AD-E1 offers downgrade compatibility for classic Canon Speedlites to work with the latest EOS R cameras. The Canon multifunctional hot shoe is not just a Speedlite dedicated connector but works with many other accessories. So, I think it is not just a physical connecter upgrade but should be developed both in firmware and hardware layer.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I don't think there's any likelihood of a TTL cord, these seem to have gone out of fashion in favour of radio triggering, which avoids clumsy cables.

Not sure what you mean by "unwanted" features? I'd be more concerned about "missing" features, e.g. no function button on the RF100-500mm.
As mentioned above its for camera traps where TTL cords are really useful and given the congestion in 2.4Ghz there are times when radio triggers dont work properly(using IR triggers in such cases is the work around). I have noticed issues with Radio triggers while working in my room(apart from my own Wifi AP there are 6 other wireless networks in vicitinity, couple of bluetooth radios and wireless mouse all of which are transmitting on 2.4Ghz) which lead me to buying a cheap 3rd party IR trigger.

Adding SA control to Macro lens, focus shift, combining AF/Control ring functions while creating messy method of control scheme(worse than K and F mount SLRs)(only R10 and R7 getting a dedicated dial on front for AF/MF selection while R6II, R8 and R50 released after those 2 are missing it and overall seems like people in R mount design team are suffering from Schizophrenia) and the missing features you mentioned that could have added to usability on high end lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was afraid the new hotshoe on the R6 MkII would pose a problem for my Godox trigger and V1 speedlite (which is brilliant), but no issues at all. Everything works just as fine as on my RP with the older hotshoe. So unless you *need* a watersealed flash, I don't see the point in the existence of the adapter piece... Unless I'm missing something... I always shoot manual on my flashes though, so no TTL.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
Disagree. The El1's have fundamentally changed how I shoot weddings. The recycle times are remarkable compared to the 600 EX's.
I do accept latest flash technology for weddings & things.
Just I do have much more Canon flashes of several generations in stock than I use (not).

The new hotshot is of high relevance - for some.
And yes, a flash natively fitting is to be part of the lineup.
Just I do see higher priorities in Canon's transition program which made me writing this comment you shouldn't take to serous.
Please forgive me ;-)

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Adding SA control to Macro lens, focus shift, combining AF/Control ring functions while creating messy method of control scheme(worse than K and F mount SLRs)(only R10 and R7 getting a dedicated dial on front for AF/MF selection while R6II, R8 and R50 released after those 2 are missing it and overall seems like people in R mount design team are suffering from Schizophrenia) and the missing features you mentioned that could have added to usability on high end lenses.
For me, the SA control ring on the 100mm macro is a pain. It has a lock on it, but once or twice I've inadvertently knocked it to the ON position when taking the lens from the bag. A few weeks ago I was working in the rainforests of West Papua, and got very frustrated one morning when all my photos looked soft.

I checked and cleaned the filter, front and rear elements, and even the sensor, as I'd wrongly believed that the softness was caused by condensation (a common problem in rainforests, as you can imagine). Next I swapped lenses and fitted my RF100-400mm, and magically I suddenly had bright, crisp, sharp photos. It then suddenly dawned on me to check the SA control ring on the macro, and indeed it had shifted, and was the cause of the fuzziness.

I believe that Canon fitted the SA ring for the benefit of portrait and wedding photographers, who may favour the "soft radiant glow" look, but that's NOT what I want in macro work, and the lens is specifically stated to be for macro. There are plenty of other lenses more suitable for wedding/portrait work, so I find it frustrating that Canon poked a SA ring on the macro.

I find it even more frustrating, that while they put an unwanted "extra" on the macro, they completely failed to put a function button on the RF100-500mm (although just about every other recent long zoom on the market has one).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
For me, the SA control ring on the 100mm macro is a pain. It has a lock on it, but once or twice I've inadvertently knocked it to the ON position when taking the lens from the bag. A few weeks ago I was working in the rainforests of West Papua, and got very frustrated one morning when all my photos looked soft.

I checked and cleaned the filter, front and rear elements, and even the sensor, as I'd wrongly believed that the softness was caused by condensation (a common problem in rainforests, as you can imagine). Next I swapped lenses and fitted my RF100-400mm, and magically I suddenly had bright, crisp, sharp photos. It then suddenly dawned on me to check the SA control ring on the macro, and indeed it had shifted, and was the cause of the fuzziness.

I believe that Canon fitted the SA ring for the benefit of portrait and wedding photographers, who may favour the "soft radiant glow" look, but that's NOT what I want in macro work, and the lens is specifically stated to be for macro. There are plenty of other lenses more suitable for wedding/portrait work, so I find it frustrating that Canon poked a SA ring on the macro.

I find it even more frustrating, that while they put an unwanted "extra" on the macro, they completely failed to put a function button on the RF100-500mm (although just about every other recent long zoom on the market has one).
I think it was to extend the appeal of the 100/2.8 more widely. Obviously it DOES do macro, but they're billing several other primes as macro too (albeit of the 1:2 category). It's a big expensive lens that is only like a stop better than the 24-105/4 or 100-500/4.5-7.1, and the later also is fantastically sharp at 100mm as well. (See my comparison at https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...e-rf100-500-4-5-7-1-and-the-rf24-105-4.42155/ .)

My guess is that obviously dedicated macro photographers will buy it, and a small number of prime fetishists will buy it too, but they still wanted to add just a few more buyers yet. I would have bought it without this feature, but I was excited about the feature as well. (Ultimately I haven't actually used it except for some test photos though. My idea is that it might be of actual use when used very lightly; my experiments were mostly at the far reaches of the range of adjustment.)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Seriously though, who buys Canon and Nikon speed lights when there's so much options using Godox, Profoto & Westcott?
Because the Canon system just works. I fiddled with PocketWizards and CyberSyncs, and was just that...fiddling. Power them on in this exact order. Turn your camera off then on. Stand on your left foot. On Tuesday. Whatever you do, don’t let your camera go into power save mode. Especially on a Friday.

Admittedly, I've not used Godox, Profoto or Westcott. When I bought my 600EX flashes and ST-E3-RT over a decade ago, the 3rd party wirelesss triggering options were all crap. I'm sure they've improved in recent years, but my four Canon flashes are still functioning perfectly, and with the improvements in camera menu controls have gotten even easier (the ST-E10 and EL-5 have a button that directly opens the external speedlite menu on my R3). Seriously though, why would I buy something else? Thus, I preordered the EL-5.

(Ok, the answer is to get more power...but honestly, the ease of use and functional integration of the Canon system is so good, when I want more power, for example using a big modifier like a 4' octa as a key), I just optically slave a monolight to the Canon flashes used for fill/hair/etc.)

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
You do realize you can get the same amount of power in a pretty strong body at a 3rd of the price right?
I do, but it's not necessarily about price, see Neuro's post above. 600EXs and EL-1s are tanks that can take a beating and also have weather-resistance seals. I've been a second shooter at a wedding where it rained, and there was no issue using my Speedlites in the rain.
I could also buy much cheaper lenses, but I prefer L lenses, so that's what I buy.

Upvote 0