Canon postpones the release of the Canon Speedlite EL-5

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Regarding the “Speedlite EL-2022”, which was announced on November 11, 2 and scheduled to be released in March 2023, due to production reasons, we have decided to postpone the release to around the summer of 3 because we cannot prepare a sufficient supply for the release. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Scheduled release date

See full article...

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Canon customers: the prices are ridiculous! No-one will buy this at this price!

Also Canon customers: why is everything sold out!
I think the first group is more "sponsored influencers" than customers. I do agree that pretty much all Canon gear is priced a lot higher that I'd like.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Really odd that Canon is delaying this speedlite, though at this point I hope Canon also brings out a TTL cord for new hotshoe interface.

I think the first group is more "sponsored influencers" than customers. I do agree that pretty much all Canon gear is priced a lot higher that I'd like.
Yep, also some of the high priced Canon lenses also come with unwanted "features" as well.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
China
It kind of makes sense to delay it.
As the new bodies are slowly coming out with the interface shoe, it's not exactly a dire need yet.
Think of how many R5 owners cannot use it.
Canon should offer EOS-1D X Mark III, EOS R5 and R6 owners a paid hot shoe hardware upgrade to work with the new Speedlites. Then Canon could earn more from both sides.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Kind of a bummer, but I'll survive with my ST-E10 and four 600EX-RTs in the meantime. One of the really nice features of the EL-5, that is also found on the ST-E10, is a 'menu' button that opens the flash settings on the camera.

At this point, the only camera that actually 'needs' the EL-5 is the R50 ('needs' is relative, since the current flashes will work with the R50 by using the AD-E1 adapter, and the R50 has an onboard flash meaning few buyers will likely want to add a Speedlite). The current flash lineup mounts directly in the new multifunction shoe of the other recent R bodies, although the connection is not weather sealed without the AD-E1 adapter.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
... I hope Canon also brings out a TTL cord for new hotshoe interface.
I haven't used my OC-E3 in years. Since getting the ST-E3-RT (and replacing it with the ST-E10), even when using an off-camera flash close in (such as with a Better Beamer mounted on my RRS B91-QR flash bracket around the barrel of my 600/4), I find the radio control does the job perfectly without a cord getting in the way.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Really odd that Canon is delaying this speedlite, though at this point I hope Canon also brings out a TTL cord for new hotshoe interface. [...]
I suspect that won't happen and you'll need the AD-E1 + OC-E3 for 'old' flashes. I do hope we'll see some form of extension cable for new style flashes, I use that for my camera trap. All the wireless systems like to go into a deep sleep after a few hours, according to the manuals.

Practically speaking, I won't replace my godox v860C II till it breaks and I don't expect to go for an EL-5, unless it turns out to have really cool features that I actually use. Like a modeling light for macro :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I suspect that won't happen and you'll need the AD-E1 + OC-E3 for 'old' flashes.
The OC-E3 works fine without the adapter on all new R bodies except the R50 (although it won't be a weather-sealed connection unless you use the AD-E1).

I do hope we'll see some form of extension cable for new style flashes, I use that for my camera trap. All the wireless systems like to go into a deep sleep after a few hours, according to the manuals.
Good point, a use case I hadn't considered.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Really odd that Canon is delaying this speedlite, though at this point I hope Canon also brings out a TTL cord for new hotshoe interface.
I don't think there's any likelihood of a TTL cord, these seem to have gone out of fashion in favour of radio triggering, which avoids clumsy cables.
Yep, also some of the high priced Canon lenses also come with unwanted "features" as well.
Not sure what you mean by "unwanted" features? I'd be more concerned about "missing" features, e.g. no function button on the RF100-500mm.

Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
Canon should offer EOS-1D X Mark III, EOS R5 and R6 owners a paid hot shoe hardware upgrade to work with the new Speedlites. Then Canon could earn more from both sides.
I don't think it's that simple lol.
New outer housing, new hot shoe, new main board to offer data to the new hot shoe, new firmware, might as well just buy a new camera lol

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I don't think it's that simple lol.
New outer housing, new hot shoe, new main board to offer data to the new hot shoe, new firmware, might as well just buy a new camera lol
I think it's simple, something like the AD-E1 with the top and bottom connections swapped. Consider RF lenses, that like the multifunction shoe enable more and faster lens functionality. Canon states, "The RF mount has a 12-pin connection between the camera and lens, compared with 8 pins in the EF mount. This enables much faster communication between lens and camera, and much greater bandwidth for data transfer. This unlocks many benefits, and gives developers scope to add even more features in the future." Yet, a simple adapter enables those older EF lenses to work with the new mount.

I don't think Canon will make one, but I think it would be easy for them to do so.

Upvote 0