Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Specifications [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
8,360
1,139
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’ve received the following specifications for the soon-to-be-announced Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III.</p>
<p><strong>Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Specifications:</strong></p>

<ul>
<li>24mp APS-C Sensor (The PowerShot G1 X Mark II was 1.5″ sensor)</li>
<li>Dual Pixel AF</li>
<li>DIGIC 7</li>
<li>24-120mm lens (35mm equivalent)</li>
</ul>
<p>We’re not sure of pricing or the exact announcement date.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>
 

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
3,033
1,094
Germany
Re: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II Specifications [CR1]

Hi Craig!

Maybe you could correct the Mark II typo in the subject.

24mp APS-C Sensor (The PowerShot G1 X Mark II was 1.5″ sensor)
Very interesting.

24-120mm lens (35mm equivalent)
will be interesting, how the size grows as for the APS-C and presumably bigger lens.
 

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Re: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II Specifications [CR1]

It will be interesting to see how the increase to aps effects the lens quality and speed. Unless there is a big price hike I fear the actual zoom lens quality may suffer pro rata.
 

Bekippe

I'm New Here
Jul 31, 2017
11
14
bekippe.500px.com
Re: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II Specifications [CR1]

So... pretty much a fixed lens M6 then. That might be fun. 24-120 isn't something they have available for the M series yet, and is a pretty good range.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,647
2,165
Re: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II Specifications [CR1]

I wonder what the lens aperture (range) will be...
 

bludragon

I'm New Here
Aug 24, 2017
11
0
United States
This actually looks pretty interesting if it has the lens from that patent. f/5.8 is a little slow at the long end, but f/4 at 33mm on aps-c is quite nice.
I guess the remaining question will be the price. I think the G1x mkII was released at $800, so I guess this one won't be any lower than that.

I'm not sure how to interpret the image height though - Image height 11.34 13.66 13.66
aps-c is 15mm in height (24/1.6).
Does that mean it is effectively going to crop the full sensor size (perhaps offering same FoV at different aspect ratios)?
 

rrcphoto

EOS R6
Jun 20, 2013
2,505
147
bludragon said:
This actually looks pretty interesting if it has the lens from that patent. f/5.8 is a little slow at the long end, but f/4 at 33mm on aps-c is quite nice.
I guess the remaining question will be the price. I think the G1x mkII was released at $800, so I guess this one won't be any lower than that.

I'm not sure how to interpret the image height though - Image height 11.34 13.66 13.66
aps-c is 15mm in height (24/1.6).
Does that mean it is effectively going to crop the full sensor size (perhaps offering same FoV at different aspect ratios)?
image height is a radius on the patents, so it's double that really.
 

unfocused

EOS-1D X Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
5,708
2,696
67
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
The 15-85 EF-S lens is a pretty substantial lens. This has a little shorter range, but not significantly so. They could save a bit of weight making the lens less robust, but I'm not sure how much. On the other hand, the 15-85 EF-S is a pretty outstanding lens in terms of optical performance (given it's range), so if the lens on this G1 X III is close in performance, it could be quite nice for a single lens travel camera.

It will also be interesting to see how it compares in size and weight to the SL2.
 

Tangent

EOS 90D
Nov 13, 2015
115
60
From the old days of the early G series progressing through a long series of evolutionary upgrades to the G1 X Mk III with full APS-C sensor. Is is a milestone achievement to reach this point at last.
 

tr573

EOS RP
Dec 2, 2015
218
0
unfocused said:
The 15-85 EF-S lens is a pretty substantial lens. This has a little shorter range, but not significantly so. They could save a bit of weight making the lens less robust, but I'm not sure how much. On the other hand, the 15-85 EF-S is a pretty outstanding lens in terms of optical performance (given it's range), so if the lens on this G1 X III is close in performance, it could be quite nice for a single lens travel camera.

It will also be interesting to see how it compares in size and weight to the SL2.
The 15-85 has to deal with design constraints that this won't being that it's for a camera with a mirror box and thus much longer register difference.
 

bludragon

I'm New Here
Aug 24, 2017
11
0
United States
rrcphoto said:
image height is a radius on the patents, so it's double that really.
Thanks, so with the aps-c diagonal at 26.70mm, image height of 11.34 at the wide end is going to result in 2mm diagonal of unused sensor in the corners. Presumably this means there will be some fish-eye distortion built-in at the wide end which would be corrected automatically as the images are processed (much like most recent compacts).

At the mid (33mm) and long (75mm) ends of the zoom, the full sensor will be covered by the image, so hopefully there won't be much distortion.

This seems like a good compromise to keep the size of the lens to a minimum, since as mentioned above, the 15-85mm is quite big.
 

powershot2012

EOS RP
Aug 3, 2012
236
5
24-120mm or 15-75mm or 15-50mm?

Given Canon has had over 3.5 years to work on this version, a reduction in weight and size with 24-120mm on an APS-C sensor is expected.

Anything else will be disappointing.

Otherwise opt for a more compact Sony A6000 with kit lens.


Canon Rumors said:
We’ve received the following specifications for the soon-to-be-announced Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III.</p>
<p><strong>Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Specifications:</strong></p>

<ul>
<li>24mp APS-C Sensor (The PowerShot G1 X Mark II was 1.5″ sensor)</li>
<li>Dual Pixel AF</li>
<li>DIGIC 7</li>
<li>24-120mm lens (35mm equivalent)</li>
</ul>
<p>We’re not sure of pricing or the exact announcement date.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>
 

rrcphoto

EOS R6
Jun 20, 2013
2,505
147
powershot2012 said:
24-120mm or 15-75mm or 15-50mm?

Given Canon has had over 3.5 years to work on this version, a reduction in weight and size with 24-120mm on an APS-C sensor is expected.

Anything else will be disappointing.

Otherwise opt for a more compact Sony A6000 with kit lens.
LOL 24-120 for an APS-C compact camera? *WITH* a reduction in size and weight? what planet are you thinking of buying this camera from?

go ahead and use that A6000 and crappy zoom get it now. practice stopping down to F/11 so that diffraction is bad enough you can't tell how bad it is in the corners.
 

powershot2012

EOS RP
Aug 3, 2012
236
5
Sounds like another Canonitis then...

Not getting the point of the G1X III... Slower lens, shorter focal length, larger sensor.

3.5 years plus in the making, this is already sounding disappointing. :-(

rrcphoto said:
powershot2012 said:
24-120mm or 15-75mm or 15-50mm?

Given Canon has had over 3.5 years to work on this version, a reduction in weight and size with 24-120mm on an APS-C sensor is expected.

Anything else will be disappointing.

Otherwise opt for a more compact Sony A6000 with kit lens.
LOL 24-120 for an APS-C compact camera? *WITH* a reduction in size and weight? what planet are you thinking of buying this camera from?

go ahead and use that A6000 and crappy zoom get it now. practice stopping down to F/11 so that diffraction is bad enough you can't tell how bad it is in the corners.
 

powershot2012

EOS RP
Aug 3, 2012
236
5
Canon don't screw this one up again.

24-120mm lens or 15-50mm or 15-75mm???

Seems not much difference between this and a Sony A6000 with kit lens.

Is Canon once again trying to catch up let alone come up short to the competition yet off nothing really new?
 

rrcphoto

EOS R6
Jun 20, 2013
2,505
147
powershot2012 said:
Sounds like another Canonitis then...
sounds like an idiot speaking.

you can't expect to increase the sensor size, decrease size and weight and also at the same time expand / keep the lens the same.

the three just don't physically happen on this planet , possibly universe.