Canon Powershot G7 X Specs and Image Leaked

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-powershot-g7-x-specs-image-leaked/

Image and specifications of Canon’s upcoming Powershot G7 X have leaked,. The G7 X will feature an 1 inch sensor.

- 1 inch 20MP CMOS sensor
- Zoom equivalent to 24-100mm f/1.8-2.8
- Intelligent optical Image Stabilizer
- 5 stop video image stabilization
- DIGIC6 processor
- 31 points AF. touch AF
- LCD monitor tilting. 1.04 million dots.
- Touch panel
- Built-in flash
- Exposure compensation dial
- Control ring
- ND filter built-in
- Video Full HD 60p, stereo
- Manual video control
- Wi-Fi
- NFC
- remote control function with smartphone

tayassu said:
Looks like a great little camera! They might have adapted the Sony sensor, I heard that they did that with P&S... But up to 100mm is great and it looks really good. Only thing missing is an EVF... :-\
But otherwise it is a great little camera! Let's see how high the price is ;)

even better if it had a hotshoe. :(

Upvote 0
that they use a 1" 20mp sensor lets me think they buy that sensor from sony.

overall the specs look better than the RX100 III specs.
so it will not be cheap (for a compact) i guess. :)

i don´t need a EVF, the 30mm more at the long end are more usefull for me.
better AF as it´s seems. at least more AF points. :)

i hope for 1/4000s
sonys 1/2000s on the RX100 III is limiting.

Upvote 0
Q

Quest for Light

This is what happens when a high tech company stops innovating: it becomes an also ran, a follower, trailing the market instead of leading it. After two years and three generations of RX100s out, is this the best you can come out with as a response? Where is the Canon Corp. that brought to market the AE-1, the EOS system and the eye tracking AF system? And even worse, where is Nikon hiding while all this is happening? They are even worse than Canon here, Nikon's doesn't want to trail, it's not acknowledging the existence of the path at all! Sony is making huge profits out of each silly RX100 they can churn out, while CaNikon have to resort to losing money selling $40 "refurbished" (why don't they call them for what they really are: NOS "New Old Stock") point and shots that costs them $100 a piece to manufacture and market. It's not like they can't innovate any more: witness the huge leaps in sharpness Canon is making with each new lens it's bringing to market and all the tech Nikon is pouring onto the 1 system and the tremendous advances they are making in how they manufacture each camera. All this is well, but why not do some more on the actual cameras' features, which is the actual product that draws people to the brand? CaNikon, please don't sleep this one out. Sony and Samsung have humungus budgets (well at least Samsung) and I'm sure that their ultimate quest, just like Apple's, is for a cell phone that can churn out as good pictures and videos as a FF DSLR. Just give them time and they will completely kill the DSLR. You guys should really start making the best picture taking cell phones and innovate on the cameras, or else Apple, Samsung and Sony will have you for lunch, literally!

Upvote 0
Quest for Light said:
This is what happens when a high tech company stops innovating: it becomes an also ran, a follower, trailing the market instead of leading it. After two years and three generations of RX100s out, is this the best you can come out with as a response? Where is the Canon Corp. that brought to market the AE-1, the EOS system and the eye tracking AF system? And even worse, where is Nikon hiding while all this is happening? They are even worse than Canon here, Nikon's doesn't want to trail, it's not acknowledging the existence of the path at all! Sony is making huge profits out of each silly RX100 they can churn out, while CaNikon have to resort to losing money selling $40 "refurbished" (why don't they call them for what they really are: NOS "New Old Stock") point and shots that costs them $100 a piece to manufacture and market. It's not like they can't innovate any more: witness the huge leaps in sharpness Canon is making with each new lens it's bringing to market and all the tech Nikon is pouring onto the 1 system and the tremendous advances they are making in how they manufacture each camera. All this is well, but why not do some more on the actual cameras' features, which is the actual product that draws people to the brand? CaNikon, please don't sleep this one out. Sony and Samsung have humungus budgets (well at least Samsung) and I'm sure that their ultimate quest, just like Apple's, is for a cell phone that can churn out as good pictures and videos as a FF DSLR. Just give them time and they will completely kill the DSLR. You guys should really start making the best picture taking cell phones and innovate on the cameras, or else Apple, Samsung and Sony will have you for lunch, literally!

I think this is placing far too much importance on being first to market, Canon has only rarely been first to market with fundamentally new tech. EOS was actually a very late entry into the AF market(almost a decade after the first AF compacts and 5+ years after other SLR's) but succeeded by offering a more refined and complete system. Early DSLR devolpment was spearheaded more by Kodak and Fuji than Canon and Nikon.

The idea of a 1 inch sensor compact is probably the most significant innovation over the last 2-3 years in the camera market and this release seems like it will offer specs very similar to Sony's releases. I'm guessing Nikon will have there own version out within a few months as well.

Upvote 0
Apparently $700 which is $200 less than RX100 III. I have an RX100 and I just recently tried out a MkIII. I found the finder ok but not something that I'd probably use a ton on a point and shoot anyway (hate EVF's in general). But what is most interesting on this Canon cam with the 20mp Sony sensor (would be super surprised if it's a Canon sensor) is the wide range and fast lens. Wow, it's half the range of the RX10 and less than half the size. If image quality stacks up, which I would expect it will, then it's more appealing to me than any of the Sony's.

Upvote 0
Mr_Canuck said:
Apparently $700 which is $200 less than RX100 III. I have an RX100 and I just recently tried out a MkIII. I found the finder ok but not something that I'd probably use a ton on a point and shoot anyway (hate EVF's in general). But what is most interesting on this Canon cam with the 20mp Sony sensor (would be super surprised if it's a Canon sensor) is the wide range and fast lens. Wow, it's half the range of the RX10 and less than half the size. If image quality stacks up, which I would expect it will, then it's more appealing to me than any of the Sony's.

Which rather highights my point, rather than as Quest for Light claimed Canon being many years behind Sony it seems like they have a competitive product pretty dam quickly to me.

Upvote 0
Q

Quest for Light

moreorless said:
Mr_Canuck said:

Which rather highights my point, rather than as Quest for Light claimed Canon being many years behind Sony it seems like they have a competitive product pretty dam quickly to me.

2 years after sony is quick for canon....mhm.
not to mention using a sony sensor.

and 200$ less with no EVF.. what an achievement. ::)

the only impressive thing in this camera is the lens, the size.
i only hope it´s good too.

all other stuff is good but barely innovativ.

sony was brave enough to make the step and build the RX100.
canon waited until they saw there is a market for such a camera.
then they took a sony sensor and build a better lens for their on camera variation.
i don´t call that innovating or being at the forefront of development.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Quest for Light said:
then they took a sony sensor and build a better lens for their on camera variation.

Canon innovates and is at the forefront of development in many areas. In other areas, they let other companies take the risk, then 'bat cleanup'. I bet the G7 X will outsell the RX100-III.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Quest for Light said:
Canon innovates and is at the forefront of development in many areas. In other areas, they let other companies take the risk, then 'bat cleanup'.

When chinese companys do that you call it cloning.

Like Benro cloning the Wimberley gimbal, or Flash triggers etc.

I bet the G7 X will outsell the RX100-III.

Possible.
And i guess a great part of the success will be because of the Sony sensor in it.

Upvote 0