Canon publishes a paper discussing a new 3.4 μm pixel pitch global shutter CMOS image sensor with dual in-pixel charge domain memory

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Just my guess, but it's possible they started off with this goal, and someone just happened to figure out that you could use this for HDR as well.
I agree. That's the way science normally works (I know that because I edit a German physics magazine + from my own experience back when I studied physics).

Right. Up until now, on-sensor memory may have only had one possible function--avoiding rolling shutter--and thus be something you'd only support on a mainly-video camera. Thx to this paper, they're now dangling 42dB or more extra headroom (basically SEVEN STOPS more highlight detail) and that's something you'd totally pay an extra couple grand for if you really understood it. It's simply staggering.
Yes, I'd really love to see that technology to hit the market soon. But the publication in a primary research journal without any patent claims so far indicates that we'll have to wait a while...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0