Canon R series Firmware files sizes

There was something I thought about for a long time. The size of the Canon R series Firmware files helps to understand how much the camera software is open to development.

R series, average firmware file sizes:

Canon Eos R: 34 -37 MB
Canon Eos R6: 50-51 MB
Canon Eos R5: 49-55 MB
Canon Eos R5C: 87-88 MB
Canon Eos R3: 85-86 MB
Canon Eos R6 Mark II: 75 MB
Canon Eos R7: 70 MB
Canon Eos R10: 69 MB

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
There was something I thought about for a long time. The size of the Canon R series Firmware files helps to understand how much the camera software is open to development.

R series, average firmware file sizes:

Canon Eos R: 34 -37 MB
Canon Eos R6: 50-51 MB
Canon Eos R5: 49-55 MB
Canon Eos R5C: 87-88 MB
Canon Eos R3: 85-86 MB
Canon Eos R6 Mark II: 75 MB
Canon Eos R7: 70 MB
Canon Eos R10: 69 MB
Surely Canon you can give us another 30 MB of firmware for the R5 - it's less than a single .cr3 file from it.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
...The size of the Canon R series Firmware files helps to understand ...
When I think about SW (not always FW) the memory size needed normally shows to me how lazy modern programmers have become.
Thinking back on what you could do with just 64k RAM and a 165k disk space on a C64...
I know that's an anachronism and not really comparable. Just for fun.

Seriously:
The size of a file never gave me any information about how much data and functionality is stored in it and how much openness or future-proofness is included.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
When I think about SW (not always FW) the memory size needed normally shows to me how lazy modern programmers have become.
Thinking back on what you could do with just 64k RAM and a 165k disk space on a C64...
I know that's an anachronism and not really comparable. Just for fun.

Seriously:
The size of a file never gave me any information about how much data and functionality is stored in it and how much openness or future-proofness is included.
What I'm wondering is how much maximum space this software has on the camera. We know the file sizes, but does the camera allow for more?

Upvote 0