Canon R5 Electronic Shutter Performance is Better Than The Internet Thinks...

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Sometimes I read technical analysis of a camera and I chuckle at the conclusions. Phrases like "unusable" and "major distortions" get tossed around. Early on, the consensus with the R5 from "armchair engineers" was that the electronic shutter performance was "terrible"...I actually saw multiple people saying the performance was terrible and unusable. Granted, I've spoken with several NFL photographers that have shown me examples and told me that the performance for their use case would indeed be just that - unusable. But that doesn't mean it won't work for other use cases...please see bellow.

What do I deem "unusable"? When the rolling shutter effect takes away from the subject of the image. In the case of the R5 as a motorsports photographer, I find the electronic shutter to be HIGHLY usable and extremely beneficial.

Two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to use my new R5 to cover one of our races that was thankfully able to still be held. I used electronic shutter extensively as I threw everything I could at the camera...I left the event prepared to sell my 1DX Mark II...and I have. Here are just a few examples taken with the R5 in the 12-bit RAW electronic shutter that some people are afraid to use. Don't be afraid. Give it a shot and see if you think it will work for the application you're working in. LEARN how your camera performs and understand when you can exploit this feature - I think you'll be very surprised.

Truly minimal distortion that have no impact or create any distraction.
MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0098 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

Distortion is there, but I don't consider this shot ruined because I used it and most people wouldn't notice the distortion if it wasn't pointed out to them or they were looking for it.
MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0229 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0550 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0376 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

Shots like this where the background is entirely blurred, you would probably never know!
MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0448 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

This is a single shot from a 65 image sequence I shot using the Electronic Shutter in the R5. Distortion is visible, but it doesn't really take away from this sequence of images. The main point is that I was able to capture a brilliant series of images with the car tracked in every frame. We're using the sequence to create a two-page spread that should look really awesome. Using 20fps now lets us choose WHICH images we want to use to show what happened. It's awesome.
MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0653 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

I would also like to point out that using the 12-bit electronic shutter under these particular artificial lights didn't create any banding from the light frequency. High ISO performance also remains extremely impressive! This is a 45mp image sensor using electronic shutter under artificial light at ISO 12,800. Not only is is completely usable and I delivered to the client, but it looks downright exceptional. So my apologies if I'm laughing at people who say you can't use the camera in the 12-bit electronic shutter...that sentiment is incorrect.

I'm a Canon user, and acknowledge my bias...but this has to be the best performing photography camera on the market with a truly incredible sensor.
MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0573 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I'm so glad this forum auto scales pictures to your screen, as opposed to fredmiranda where the text becomes unreadable because it goes off the screen with the picture.
Fred Miranda Sony users are sensitive idiots, apparently. LOL they're doing everything they can to trash on this camera and, of course, one of them told me how bad my photos were wland what I should do...as if I don't do this for a living. What a dick.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Sometimes I read technical analysis of a camera and I chuckle at the conclusions. Phrases like "unusable" and "major distortions" get tossed around. Early on, the consensus with the R5 from "armchair engineers" was that the electronic shutter performance was "terrible"...I actually saw multiple people saying the performance was terrible and unusable. Granted, I've spoken with several NFL photographers that have shown me examples and told me that the performance for their use case would indeed be just that - unusable. But that doesn't mean it won't work for other use cases...please see bellow.

What do I deem "unusable"? When the rolling shutter effect takes away from the subject of the image. In the case of the R5 as a motorsports photographer, I find the electronic shutter to be HIGHLY usable and extremely beneficial.

Two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to use my new R5 to cover one of our races that was thankfully able to still be held. I used electronic shutter extensively as I threw everything I could at the camera...I left the event prepared to sell my 1DX Mark II...and I have. Here are just a few examples taken with the R5 in the 12-bit RAW electronic shutter that some people are afraid to use. Don't be afraid. Give it a shot and see if you think it will work for the application you're working in. LEARN how your camera performs and understand when you can exploit this feature - I think you'll be very surprised.

Truly minimal distortion that have no impact or create any distraction.
MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0098 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

Distortion is there, but I don't consider this shot ruined because I used it and most people wouldn't notice the distortion if it wasn't pointed out to them or they were looking for it.
MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0229 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0550 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0376 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

Shots like this where the background is entirely blurred, you would probably never know!
MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0448 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

This is a single shot from a 65 image sequence I shot using the Electronic Shutter in the R5. Distortion is visible, but it doesn't really take away from this sequence of images. The main point is that I was able to capture a brilliant series of images with the car tracked in every frame. We're using the sequence to create a two-page spread that should look really awesome. Using 20fps now lets us choose WHICH images we want to use to show what happened. It's awesome.
MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0653 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr

I would also like to point out that using the 12-bit electronic shutter under these particular artificial lights didn't create any banding from the light frequency. High ISO performance also remains extremely impressive! This is a 45mp image sensor using electronic shutter under artificial light at ISO 12,800. Not only is is completely usable and I delivered to the client, but it looks downright exceptional. So my apologies if I'm laughing at people who say you can't use the camera in the 12-bit electronic shutter...that sentiment is incorrect.

I'm a Canon user, and acknowledge my bias...but this has to be the best performing photography camera on the market with a truly incredible sensor.
MS-NMRA_NMCA-MARTIN2020-0573 by LSXPhotog, on Flickr
Bloody brilliant

Upvote 0
I was using the R5 for birds in flight this weekend (mostly Wood Ducks, Teal, and Mallards) all w/ the electronic shutter. I took around 3500 images on Sat, I still haven't found one image with any distortion that took away from the image or subject. Honestly, if it wasn't for the internet I don't think I would even know it was a potential issue. My backgrounds might be a bit are more blown out than the ones above but there just hasn't been any issues worth talking about. My only gripe about my shoot was the R5 w/ a RF 100-500 attached is that really hunts for focus unless there's a lot of contrast between the background and the subject when using larger AF zones.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I was using the R5 for birds in flight this weekend (mostly Wood Ducks, Teal, and Mallards) all w/ the electronic shutter. I took around 3500 images on Sat, I still haven't found one image with any distortion that took away from the image or subject. Honestly, if it wasn't for the internet I don't think I would even know it was a potential issue. My backgrounds might be a bit are more blown out than the ones above but there just hasn't been any issues worth talking about. My only gripe about my shoot was the R5 w/ a RF 100-500 attached is that really hunts for focus unless there's a lot of contrast between the background and the subject when using larger AF zones.
3500 shots in a weekend is what worries me about the R5 - I'm not using the electronic shutter for that reason and wish they would have a firmware fix to give the choice of 20, 10 and 7.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
3500 shots in a weekend is what worries me about the R5 - I'm not using the electronic shutter for that reason and wish they would have a firmware fix to give the choice of 20, 10 and 7.
Ha....I backed off to the "H" mode and not "H+" after I had 1200 images after what I consider "light" use going after birds in my backyard. For most applications, I care more about the buffer not filling up after 2 seconds than about 12 fps. The H+ and electronic shutter modes will get used, I am happy to have access to them, but it will be for specific purposes.

Upvote 0

I don't think I'll actually use it much unless there's something really special that I just have to have as many images as possible. But... it's a great option to have.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
As well as π and e, please. And for complex setups: j.
There were reasons of why I would like choices of 10 and 7 fps to be added to the 20 fps in es (and not 22/7). 10 or 7 fps usually gives me enough in a burst, and at 7 fps I can usually click fast enough to get just a single shot.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I'm also just ecstatic after taking the R5 out for a spin a couple days ago. EVF is just *wow*, high iso excellent, AF brilliant, and the entire general responsiveness of the camera is magnificent.

Brilliant photos LSX, as always. I'm especially impressed by those panning shots. I'm in awe.
Who knows, with time and a little more practice, maybe you could do this as a living! :D ( I'm joking about that Fred Marinda story, of course, before anyone flames me!.)

Upvote 0