Canon R5 with sigma 150-600

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I do about 95% bird photography and the RP is just not cutting it. I was looking to upgrade to R5 but not sure if my sigma 150-600 will work well with it. Anyone have much experience with this combo?
I had the C version, and found the AF too slow and got rid of it. However, that was nearly 3-years ago and Sigma firmware updates might have gotten it better. The R5 with the el-cheapo RF 100-400 will give you similar reach to the 600 on the RP, have very fast AF and is sharp.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cooldood

Bird Mainiac
May 16, 2023
I had the C version, and found the AF too slow and got rid of it. However, that was nearly 3-years ago and Sigma firmware updates might have gotten it better. The R5 with the el-cheapo RF 100-400 will give you similar reach to the 600 on the RP, have very fast AF and is sharp.
As it is now 600 is not enough. I can't imagine going to 400. The RP does not have a crop sensor so wouldnt it be the same as R5?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As it is now 600 is not enough. I can't imagine going to 400. The RP does not have a crop sensor so wouldnt it be the same as R5?
The RP has a 26 MP FF sensor, the R5 has a 45 MP FF sensor. 'Reach' is not really about sensor size, it's about 'pixels on duck' and the higher pixel density of the R5 means more of those. As @AlanF states, 400mm on a 45 MP sensor is similar to 600mm on a 26 MP sensor.

Using the R5 in crop mode is like using a 17 MP APS-C sensor, using the RP in crop mode is like using a 10 MP APS-C sensor. For a given sensor size, more MP = more 'reach'.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I used it on the R, but never tried it on the R5 or R3. It performed at least as well on the R as on the 7D and 5D. Actually was sharper on the R, most likely because I never was one to micro adjust my DSLRs.

If you were satisfied with its performance on a DSLR then you should not be disappointed on the R5.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Using the R5 in crop mode is like using a 17 MP APS-C sensor, using the RP in crop mode is like using a 10 MP APS-C sensor. For a given sensor size, more MP = more 'reach'.
In that context, the R7 is a 32 MP APS-C sensor. With a 400mm lens, the R7 will put substantially more pixels on duck than 600mm on the RP.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Leave it to this forum to make a simple question complex.

To get back to your original question, the Sigma will perform at least as well on the R5 as on the RP.

The RP is always going to struggle with bird photography. It was designed as an entry-level camera and has been surpassed by newer models, especially in terms of autofocus and shooting speed. Let's assume you decide you want a new R series body. The two obvious choices for your use case are the R5 and the R7. The R7 is significantly cheaper and has higher pixel density. But, it is crop-sensor camera so that means a smaller sensor. However, for bird photography, where you can never have too much "reach" the crop-sensor will give you an effective 1.6 increase in focal length. The disadvantage of the crop sensor is that it will have more noise at higher ISOs. In addition, Canon is just beginning to build out its EF-S line, so there are fewer choices of lenses designed specifically for crop sensors. This really only affects the wide-angle and "normal" ranges with little impact on the telephoto range.

Not surprisingly, the R5 is a more versatile and better overall camera. No $1,500 camera is going to perform up to the standards of a $3,000+ camera. Still the R7 is no slouch and both are great cameras. Either will be a huge upgrade from the RP.

I recommend that you decide on the camera body and then, when you can afford it, decide which RF lens is a better native replacement for the Sigma. If you want a native R mount lens, then the two obvious choices are the inexpensive 100-400 and the more costly 100-500. If you can afford it, the 100-500 is the better choice and it is still more compact and a pound lighter than your Sigma. But, if you want small, light and inexpensive, the 100-400 punches well above its price.

Upvote 0

cooldood

Bird Mainiac
May 16, 2023
I appreciate all the good input and I am no expert but here is what I was thinking
I will not go crop sensor because even if it gives me more "reach" I would rather crop in post. When birds are moving quickly often the shot is nowhere near the center of the pic.
The pixel density acts like more reach but how much really? The image on 400 will only be 2/3 the size of a 600mm it seems to almost negate the density difference since the RP is about 60% of the R5. Or maybe I am missing something.

To me it seems more plausible to increase to 45mp, same 600mm and still have good resolution after cropping. Not looking to stir the pot just trying to make myself more smarterer :p

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I appreciate all the good input and I am no expert but here is what I was thinking
I will not go crop sensor because even if it gives me more "reach" I would rather crop in post. When birds are moving quickly often the shot is nowhere near the center of the pic.
The pixel density acts like more reach but how much really? The image on 400 will only be 2/3 the size of a 600mm it seems to almost negate the density difference since the RP is about 60% of the R5. Or maybe I am missing something.

To me it seems more plausible to increase to 45mp, same 600mm and still have good resolution after cropping. Not looking to stir the pot just trying to make myself more smarterer :p
Makes sense

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Leave it to this forum to make a simple question complex.

To get back to your original question, the Sigma will perform at least as well on the R5 as on the RP.

The RP is always going to struggle with bird photography. It was designed as an entry-level camera and has been surpassed by newer models, especially in terms of autofocus and shooting speed. Let's assume you decide you want a new R series body. The two obvious choices for your use case are the R5 and the R7. The R7 is significantly cheaper and has higher pixel density. But, it is crop-sensor camera so that means a smaller sensor. However, for bird photography, where you can never have too much "reach" the crop-sensor will give you an effective 1.6 increase in focal length. The disadvantage of the crop sensor is that it will have more noise at higher ISOs. In addition, Canon is just beginning to build out its EF-S line, so there are fewer choices of lenses designed specifically for crop sensors. This really only affects the wide-angle and "normal" ranges with little impact on the telephoto range.

Not surprisingly, the R5 is a more versatile and better overall camera. No $1,500 camera is going to perform up to the standards of a $3,000+ camera. Still the R7 is no slouch and both are great cameras. Either will be a huge upgrade from the RP.

I recommend that you decide on the camera body and then, when you can afford it, decide which RF lens is a better native replacement for the Sigma. If you want a native R mount lens, then the two obvious choices are the inexpensive 100-400 and the more costly 100-500. If you can afford it, the 100-500 is the better choice and it is still more compact and a pound lighter than your Sigma. But, if you want small, light and inexpensive, the 100-400 punches well above its price.
Are you sure the 150-600mm will work well on the R5? I found the AF unsatisfactory. A quick Google gave this as top hit.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,
I have a Canon R5, a Canon Control Ring R to EF Adapter and an EF based Sigma 150-600 Sport Lens. I have upgraded the R5 to Firmware Version 1.70, and upgraded the Sigma to the latest version. While the focus is not quite as fast as what my Canon EF 100-400 L Zoom is, it is still fast enough for most bird shots. Again, this is the Sport model so perhaps it is faster / better ( and heavier ) than the cheaper Contemporary version. I often sit on my porch with this rig on tripod mounted with a gimbal and take pictures of birds on the porch feeders, fairly close focus and I haven't seen any the “pulsing” problems referenced above.

One thing I never see referenced in any of these posts is the firmware versions of the various devices, Canon has done a lot of fixes on their R5 firmware and I know that the Sigma, which I purchased used from KEH needed several major versions of upgrades done as well.

Yeah, the Sigma Sport version is more expensive but at least for me, it doesn't have the problems the Contemporary version exhibits. That said, without knowing the Firmware versions of both the camera and the lens in these various reports, you don't know if the issue still exists or if it has been fixed.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I do about 95% bird photography and the RP is just not cutting it. I was looking to upgrade to R5 but not sure if my sigma 150-600 will work well with it. Anyone have much experience with this combo?
As the only one who has replied who actually has had experience with the 150-600 C on the R5, let me recap for you. The 150-600mm might be good enough if it has the latest firmware. I would suggest that you download and install the latest firmware if you have the Sigma dock, then try out the lens at your local camera store. If you don't have a store or can't use a friends R5, get one on mail order from a company that accepts returns and test it for yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
As the only one who has replied who actually has had experience with the 150-600 C on the R5, let me recap for you. The 150-600mm might be good enough if it has the latest firmware. I would suggest that you download and install the latest firmware if you have the Sigma dock, then try out the lens at your local camera store. If you don't have a store or can't use a friends R5, get one on mail order from a company that accepts returns and test it for yourself.
And make sure the Canon R (whatever version) is also on the latest firmware. It bugs me to see numerous posts about various troubles and NOBODY, I mean NOBODY ever references what camera and lens firmware version is involved. BTW, the ( used ) Sigma dock for Canon is about $20 at KEH, Canon camera and lens firmware can be found by Googling "Canon camera firmware" or "Canon Lens Firmware". Only if the trouble still exists with the latest firmware versions installed is a complaint warranted.

Enough said.....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cooldood

Bird Mainiac
May 16, 2023
And make sure the Canon R (whatever version) is also on the latest firmware. It bugs me to see numerous posts about various troubles and NOBODY, I mean NOBODY ever references what camera and lens firmware version is involved. BTW, the ( used ) Sigma dock for Canon is about $20 at KEH, Canon camera and lens firmware can be found by Googling "Canon camera firmware" or "Canon Lens Firmware". Only if the trouble still exists with the latest firmware versions installed is a complaint warranted.

Enough said.....
I already have a dock and have upadted the lens firmware

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Enough said.....
NOBODY, NOBODY?? Type 1.7 into search on the top of the page and count the number of posts that come up with the firmware number and problems. Then repeat it with 1.6 etc, etc.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
ke pictures of birds on the porch feeders, fairly close focus and I haven't seen any the “pulsing” problems referenced above
Hey Ed, just to be sure I understand, are you using eye focus and servo AF? Or different settings? (Or manual focus or what?)

All the complaints I hear about pulsing is the eye focus and servo AF combo, which it seems Canon officially says somewhere is not supported on Sigma zooms (the Old Girl vid mentions this). On the other hand they said AF wasn't supported with the alternative focus screens I used in my EOS-1N and 1V but they seemed to work fine for me.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I have them both.
There’s a few videos on this channel about “pulsing” problems. Not sure if it still stands as an issue now.

Both videos are true.
Following the instructions in the second video pretty much fixes the problem with the first.

Upvote 0