Canon releases an EOS RP w/RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM kit

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I wasn’t talking about the MkII I was talking about the MkIII, it was released in June 2018 for $2,100 But now retails for $1,799 but can be had for $1,550 on deals and even less refurb from Canon Direct with warranty.

I am looking at the price I have to pay to get what I need now, not what I might have to pay in ten years, THAT is just good comedy.

Is the RF system really 50% ‘better’? If so I haven’t seen any evidence of that.
OK. You got me on a technicality.

Roger's Take
Founder & CEO
So we took one of these apart to determine all of the things that separated the III from the II. To start with, there is a new shade of white paint on the barrels, which we think definitely gives a cleaner look. And there are some supposedly better antireflective coatings, because, oh, wait, no reflections really weren’t a problem with the Mk II. And those are the same coatings Canon started putting on all their other lenses a few years back. And there are fluorine coatings on the front and back elements that are easier to clean. Like the 24-70mm Mk II has, that, well, never mind, those aren’t really easier to clean. As to the rest, not one single screw is different. Nada.
Sooo, here’s my editorial advice: if this is more expensive than the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS Mk II lens, then get the Mk II lens. Cause it’s the same lens. Unless you really like the new paint color.
January 2019

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Release price be damned. That's just good comedy. Well, the 70-200 f/2.8L II was released in late 2010 I believe. So just wait and see how reasonable the price of an RF 70-200 f/2.8 will be in 2029. I know mine has a lot more life left in it and will last that long barring any calamitous events...
2029? A lot of us will be dead in 2029.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0