Canon releases an EOS RP w/RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM kit

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I wasn’t talking about the MkII I was talking about the MkIII, it was released in June 2018 for $2,100 But now retails for $1,799 but can be had for $1,550 on deals and even less refurb from Canon Direct with warranty.

I am looking at the price I have to pay to get what I need now, not what I might have to pay in ten years, THAT is just good comedy.

Is the RF system really 50% ‘better’? If so I haven’t seen any evidence of that.
OK. You got me on a technicality.

Roger's Take
Founder & CEO
So we took one of these apart to determine all of the things that separated the III from the II. To start with, there is a new shade of white paint on the barrels, which we think definitely gives a cleaner look. And there are some supposedly better antireflective coatings, because, oh, wait, no reflections really weren’t a problem with the Mk II. And those are the same coatings Canon started putting on all their other lenses a few years back. And there are fluorine coatings on the front and back elements that are easier to clean. Like the 24-70mm Mk II has, that, well, never mind, those aren’t really easier to clean. As to the rest, not one single screw is different. Nada.
Sooo, here’s my editorial advice: if this is more expensive than the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS Mk II lens, then get the Mk II lens. Cause it’s the same lens. Unless you really like the new paint color.
January 2019

CanonFanBoy

Really O.K. Boomer
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
Release price be damned. That's just good comedy. Well, the 70-200 f/2.8L II was released in late 2010 I believe. So just wait and see how reasonable the price of an RF 70-200 f/2.8 will be in 2029. I know mine has a lot more life left in it and will last that long barring any calamitous events...
2029? A lot of us will be dead in 2029.

• Sad
Reactions: Del Paso