Canon releases firmware v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R3

Aug 27, 2019
These features seem interesting to me:
  1. Adds [Register people priority] to the camera menu.
    Pre-registered people can now be detected and tracked with priority.**
    ** This feature may not operate if faces are too small to detect, in profile or turned at an angle or partially hidden; for scenes where the subject is moving; or due to certain shooting environments.
  2. Adds [Panning Assist] to the camera menu. When a compatible lens is used for panning shots, image stabilization and subject blur correction are applied during the exposure.
  3. Improves the Auto White Balance (AWB) setting to reduce the time it takes for the AWB result to be reflected in the camera’s viewfinder's display when looking through the viewfinder.
The people registering appears to be a form of Appearance\Face recognition. Looks like it works in both Photo and Video modes. I can see some use cases for this depending on how well it works.

I have only played with the Panning Assist briefly but it does 100% slow the shutter FPS down so I will have to play with this some more but might be good for motorsports and getting that "Rolling shot".

The AWB might be good again need to play with this as I often let the Camera decide WB.

Cheers

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Hmm, I hope Rudy Winston or Canon USA makes a video explaining how these new features work. I'm not sure what panning assist will actually do, but Canon is still not pivoting on locking users out of controlling IBIS and lens IS separately from each other. Myself and several others have reported to Canon multiple times that IBIS and lens IS on the RF 100-500, 400, and 600 don't appear to be playing well with each other in some conditions. To the point that I don't use IS/IBIS at all when shooting any movement...something that never was a problem when I had my 1DX and EF lenses. So it's a step backward.

Upvote 0
Looking forward to seeing how the new firmware improves the R3 experience. As a sports photographer, I am still hoping to have the ability to lock onto a subject without bouncing around to other subjects in the frame. I have followed many suggestions from this forum and it's improved but still not like my 1dxmk2. How often or what determines the frequency of FIRMWARE updates? Just my own curiosity.

Upvote 0
You will very likely need to buy the R3II for that.
I have to disagree. the R3 has way better hardware specs to do this. This is just a matter of effort from Canon and this is Canon's ignorance. I'm finding the R3 becoming more irrelevant for the asking price as time moves on.
the stack sensor readout is slower than those in A1 and Z9 higher res cameras, it has less features that matters especially the pre-capture one which makes more sense for a sports camera. there is no hi res mode. For a first time Canon potential buyer, the R3 is the least attractive camera when you factor price and RF lens options. I can see EF users interest with it but new buyers ??? Canon is only sustaining this Stills camera business via its DSLR and lower end MILC. In my opinion, R5 is the flagship camera. R3 is a pointless venture by Canon.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Do you mean the 50-shot burst (RAW or JPG) at up to 195 fps that came with R3 firmware v1.2.0?
I think he is referring to the RAW Burst Mode as defined here (R7 Manual):

and explained here:

Basically, it allows for a Pre-Shooting mode where you half-press the shutter button and the camera starts recording images at 30fps in the buffer up to 0.5 seconds worth once the buffer is full it will overwrite the older images maintaining the latest 0.5 seconds. When you finally fully press the shutter button, it will then record the last 0.5s worth of images together with all images from after you press the shutter button in a file.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Do you mean the 50-shot burst (RAW or JPG) at up to 195 fps that came with R3 firmware v1.2.0?
Yeah I’m pretty sure he doesn’t mean that. The person very likely means the pre-shot buffer feature where it keep taking pictures in the buffer while shutter is halfway down to capture shots before shutter trigger. I think you most likely know that that is what they meant. The 195fps is an extremely extremely niche feature that very very few people are likely to use given no AF during it and you have to time your shot within a 0.25 second timeframe or something close to that to really make good use of that. Whereas the pre-shot buffer feature is hugely helpful for many shorts photographers and is pretty inexcusable that the R3 does not have that and yet the R6II and even the R7 does. There is no way that the R3 (only about a year old) doesn’t have the hardware to do this while those other cameras costing so so so much less is able to do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Furthermore features like auto subject select and other newer AF features and improvements in AF algorithm are either likely being artificially held back from the R3 and will never be released or Canon will at a later time. I don’t have much hope in canon adding these features based on their past decisions, but it’s kind of outrageous that they haven’t yet added these features to a camera that is a year old and cost between $5000 to $4000 more than cameras that have them. Especially given that the R3 is sold as one of their best sports and journalist cameras to date

Upvote 0

Birdshooter

R3 and R5
Oct 14, 2019
Looking forward to seeing how the new firmware improves the R3 experience. As a sports photographer, I am still hoping to have the ability to lock onto a subject without bouncing around to other subjects in the frame. I have followed many suggestions from this forum and it's improved but still not like my 1dxmk2. How often or what determines the frequency of FIRMWARE updates? Just my own curiosity.
I came from a 1Dx II, and the R3 has much better autofocus than the II did. It is the best autofocusing camera to date from Canon.

Upvote 0

Birdshooter

R3 and R5
Oct 14, 2019
The autofocus of the R3, smokes the R5 and leaves it in its dust. The R5 is just like a 5D dslr, a good all arounder but a dog compared to the R3s autofocus.
I do think that Canon should have given R3 owners all the goodies that are in the R6II for what the R3 costs.
Fingers crossed they might add some more options. But as time goes on, the chance of that happening will evaporate and you will need to get the R1 if you want all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
The autofocus of the R3, smokes the R5 and leaves it in its dust. The R5 is just like a 5D dslr, a good all arounder but a dog compared to the R3s autofocus.
I do think that Canon should have given R3 owners all the goodies that are in the R6II for what the R3 costs.
Fingers crossed they might add some more options. But as time goes on, the chance of that happening will evaporate and you will need to get the R1 if you want all the bells and whistles.
Yes, but the AF in the Sony A7RV smokes the Canon R3 for 1/2 the price. And you can be certain, that same type of AF is going to show up in every future Alpha series Sony.
Canon needs to unlock the R3. Give user 14 bit internal RAW video. It fast enough to do it. How do I know. Because I’ve created videos using the high speed drive mode with my R3. No sound of course, and the stills need to be imported into Resolve as an image sequence. The R3 is plenty capable but Canon have chosen to not release its full potential.

Upvote 0
I have to disagree. the R3 has way better hardware specs to do this. This is just a matter of effort from Canon and this is Canon's ignorance. I'm finding the R3 becoming more irrelevant for the asking price as time moves on.
the stack sensor readout is slower than those in A1 and Z9 higher res cameras, it has less features that matters especially the pre-capture one which makes more sense for a sports camera. there is no hi res mode. For a first time Canon potential buyer, the R3 is the least attractive camera when you factor price and RF lens options. I can see EF users interest with it but new buyers ??? Canon is only sustaining this Stills camera business via its DSLR and lower end MILC. In my opinion, R5 is the flagship camera. R3 is a pointless venture by Canon.
You clearly haven’t used an r3 and an r5. I own both and will take the r3 any day over the r5. R5 has more megapixels sure but 24 is enough and its autofocus is far superior. It is a bit upsetting seeing features come out in the r6ii that aren’t being passed on to the r3.

Upvote 0