Canon releases firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R6

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
I feel ripped off. Why is the R6 already on 1.8.1 when my R5 is sitting unloved at 1.5.0?
:D
Just as an information, as Canon France seems to be a bit late (strikes ? I'm kidding ... ;)), it looks like we never had the 1.8.0 firmware online.
At this right time, I don't see 1.8.1 available either on Canon USA or Europe.
However, 1.7.0 is available for both R6 and R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Show your R5 that you care for it by upgrading to 1.7.0. How do you think it feels being neglected?
Lol, thanks... In fact I had 1.6 downloaded last July! I don't know why I thought I was on 1.5.0...

They should make the camera recognize both a zip file, and the eosrv-vXXX-win directory, as places to look for a .fir file. (It'd only take a millisecond to search every single file for a *.fir file, too.) I had to make three tries to get the camera happy. (If I had read the English doc it might have been clearer but I thought the zip file itself was the "firmware download." When that didn't work I tried the unzipped download. Only then did I realize it just wanted one file. Don't make the user jump through hoops. Also, it's bogus to put a totally generic instruction file into firmware distribution, that's not specific to the R5 for instance, no mention of which menu the "format card" and "firmware" options are on. The final choice to update the firmware has yes and no buttons, with the no button pre-selected--that's fine--but the yes button is actually greyed out as if it's not a selectable option.

OK, so I'm at 1.7.0. If the camera catches fire or starts producing photos with lame compositions it's all your fault.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
it looks like we never had the 1.8.0 firmware online.
At this right time, I don't see 1.8.1 available either on Canon USA or Europe.
However, 1.7.0 is available for both R6 and R5.
OK, so now I'm on 1.7.0 thx to Alan, and your message makes me realize R5 will probably be getting a 1.8 soon, too.

(This talk reminds me of my first job out of school, where one of my duties was making master release tapes for our Unix computer OS releases back at Omron.)

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
A pretty disappointing update IMO. The number of users who will find a use for "crop and resize images during image transfer to an FTP server" must be close to zero. Apart from that, it's just a minor bug fix, and hopefully the elimination of a bug that was introduced by 1.8.0.

While it's good to know that minor bugs (which?) were fixed, I'm sure that R6 users would have been a lot happier if there were a couple of extra "features" that could have been added without stealing sales from the R6ii.

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
OK, so now I'm on 1.7.0 thx to Alan, and your message makes me realize R5 will probably be getting a 1.8 soon, too.

(This talk reminds me of my first job out of school, where one of my duties was making master release tapes for our Unix computer OS releases back at Omron.)
If we believe Canon Rumors, the next firmware for R5 should be a major release, so chances may even be they up the version number directly to 2.0.
As another information, I use 1.7.0 since some times now, and did not experiment any bug at this right time.
( + and wow, memories of tapes :D )

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Would love to see opengate recording for the R3, R5 etc… even YouTube shorts requires this format option.

Some weird stuff happening when trying to reply to people on CR today -e.g. impossible to type a reply unless rich text box enabled.
Anyone else having problems?
All other websites and their forums are working fine, issues are just with CR.

Edit - work s OK with Chrome, something gone wrong with Safari, I guess

Last edited:
Upvote 0