Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 IS USM coming in 2019? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’re told one of the lenses coming from Canon in 2019 will be an RF 50mm f/1.8 IS USM. We’re also told that this lens will be built much better than the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and include USM over STM.
I think if we’re getting an upmarket RF 50mm f/1.8 IS USM for the RF mount, we’re not going to see another 50 f/1.4 from Canon for quite some time, if ever.  That said, with the price of the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L, there’s definitely going to be pricing room to fit in another 50mm lens.
Note the [CR1] rating of this post and treat this information accordingly.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
50mm F1.8 IS... US$250?

That would be great, I assume this is a wishful guess? The RF 35mm f/1.8 is $499. The EF 50mm f/1.4 is $349 (and not well respected). I think Canon is moving the f/1.8 lineup from bargain to mid range in response to 3rd party lens offerings for EF. And if you want a low cost option, you can always use the EF 50mm f/1.8 with the adapter. Long story short, I'm thinking it will be in the $500 range.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
+1

But interesting to see that they've started a midrange prime system with the RF 35 STM and now continue with an USM?
I would not bet on it but guess that this could also have STM. Just my 2 cents.
And as long as this is [CR1], everything could happen...

Upvote 0
In yesterday's post about their future plans for R mount, they mentioned the following:
We will strive to improve total profitability by expanding sales of the full-frame model like the EOS R which will lead to expanded sales of lenses that have high profitability.
(emphasis mine)

I wonder if the aps-c price points on R lenses are going away? If the former mid-range lenses are now the "low" end, this might explain the pricing of the 2.0 zoom lens - the 2.8 closest equivalent of that lens zoom range can when released as part of the "holy trinity" on the R mount could sit right between the f4 and f2 versions on price.

I wouldn't be surprised if the variable aperture standard zooms are the only "cheap" lenses on this mount. The same press release mentions a higher proportion of Full Frame body sales. I'm guessing that means we may not see a aps-c R camera body. However canon always called the aps-h bodies full frame even though they weren't, so there could potentially be a potential for that. They never made lenses for that specific size sensor, they were always full frame lenses for those bodies. This would force users into stepping up the price chain for all lens purchases too beyond the kit.

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
I think you guys are missing the point that it has image stabilization. That's a great addition, FINALLY. USM over STM.. I don't even know why they put in STM in the first place. So yes it'll be more expensive. but there are two upgrades in the lens, plus I'm sure the optics will improve based on a different design approach.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 1993 -> EF 50 1.4 USM
Aug 2006 -> EF 50 1.2 L USM
May 2015 -> EF 50 1.8 STM

Sep 2018 -> RF 50 1.2 L USM
??? 2019 -> RF 50 1.8 IS USM

That's how long EF users had to wait for something better than Double Gauss 50mm lens design from Canon and when they finally got two in maybe less then year, they will not be able to use them on their EF cameras. Well done.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
That's how long EF users had to wait for something better than Double Gauss 50mm lens design from Canon and when they finally got two in maybe less then year, they will not be able to use them on their EF cameras. Well done.

Keep in mind that in the EF market Canon has had strong competition in the 50mm segment. Right now the 50mm segment is dominated by the Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 and the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC.

I own the latter and I don't see how Canon could convince me to buy an upgraded EF 50 f/1.8 or f/1.4.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0