Canon Rumors becomes fully compliant

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Over the last couple of weeks, I have spent a lot of time looking over the various laws surrounding compliance with affiliate disclosures, cookie requirements as well as web accessibility.
As you’ve probably seen for the last week or so, there is now an affiliate disclosure on every post. Affiliate revenue helps to keep the lights on.
After hours of research, I have selected the service providers to implement these changes. They are not free and do add to the monthly costs of the site.
Canon Rumors is now fully compliant with the following requirements:

Affiliate Disclosure
TCF 2.0 / IAB
GDPR (Europe)
CCPA (California)
WCAG 2.1 / ADA

You may notice floating buttons at the bottom left of the site on both desktop and mobile. The lock icon is for TCF 2.0/IAB, GDPR and CCPA compliance.
The wheelchair icon is for “web accessibility”. This offers tools for people that have visual or certain mental health challenges. It’s actually a pretty cool addition I think.
If you have any...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 3 users
Jan 29, 2011
Is that what this is? It is completely blocking every page, it’s taken 15 attempts to get to here, keep setting preferences and accepting, reload or change page and bam blocked again.
This is currently making it impossible to view the site.
Really not happy after paying for pro!View attachment 195892
I think you will find that is a national privacy issue, any time I use a UK, or EU, based IP address I get the same. I don’t think Craig has any say in you accepting the conditions of the site.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes I just confirmed that the Admiral Consent Module is an EU/UK thing. What want to know is do you check for consent or to withdraw consent, it is deliberately misleading.

But those that get the Module and have a mind for privacy should be happy, the various governments have forced websites to give opt out options, the rest of the world doesn’t!

Upvote 0

COBRASoft

EOS R5
CR Pro
Mar 21, 2014
Oudenburg, Belgium
Exactly, where is the opt out? I don't want to give consent to those things. I live in Belgium, Europe and know quite a bit about GDPR as a software developer.
Edit: I do understand Craig tries to comply to all those rules out there. It's no joke! Perhaps you can make the popup a bit more clear?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What want to know is do you check for consent or to withdraw consent, it is deliberately misleading.
User Interface designers call it a "dark pattern", a design intentionally crafted to lead you to do something against your best interest or preferences: It provides the appearance of helpfully "allowing" you to opt out - but under these laws, you do not need to opt out. Rather, a site must convince their a users to opt-in to tracking functions, which they do by throwing up these confusing barriers whose sole purpose is to trick the 99% of people who can't navigate the misleading and distracting options into opting in. Getting to content becomes a tortuous task, unless you give up your right to privacy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Like for Valvebounce, the Admiral pop up won’t let me save opt out settings on the iPad. The pop up appears every time I navigate to a new page. Maybe it’s an EU thing but it renders the site unusable on an iPad.
Even if you select the first option and reject the rest? The site needs that first option to work.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I laboriously went through and deleted all options only to find that it made no difference it just re-appeared every time making the site unusable.
I did find that if I use my VPN it got rid of the problem, but that VPN uses a European address so I don't know if it is an EU problem.
See Zim's advice to me: you have to consent to the first option to allow the functional cookie to save settings on your computer.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Even if you select the first option and reject the rest? The site needs that first option to work.
Hi Zim.
I was just about to say this, I finally realised it needs to store a cookie to get past this then reject the rest.
Perhaps that one should be called a necessary cookie as on many other cookie option selectors.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Hi Zim.
I was just about to say this, I finally realised it needs to store a cookie to get past this then reject the rest.
Perhaps that one should be called a necessary cookie as on many other cookie option selectors.

Cheers, Graham.
Yeah, this type of entrapment design is all too common now in compliance popups, doubt it's anything CR has control over. I've seen many a lot worse, I've seen a few better.
Unfortunately sensible plain wording and button location defeats the purpose of the design in the first place.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Is that what this is? It is completely blocking every page, it’s taken 15 attempts to get to here, keep setting preferences and accepting, reload or change page and bam blocked again.
This is currently making it impossible to view the site.
Really not happy after paying for pro!View attachment 195892

I can't block something that is required by the laws of the land. If you don't accept any cookie at all, you will continue to get the popup.

I have edited the frequency of the popup for people that give no input, reject all and partial rejection.

I have also inquired as to why there isn't an easy to see "reject all" button.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0