Canon Rumors site update

Not sure I see the point of today's update? Seems the home page now only fills a central band of my screen whereas it used to fill the whole width of the monitor. New layout seems confusing too but i guess I may get used to it. The phrase 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' springs to mind ...
Just found a 'Toggle Width' menu item. On the top band of the page next to your user id is a 3 dot menu drop down.
I agree it's going to take a bit of getting used to.

Upvote 0
Just found a 'Toggle Width' menu item. On the top band of the page next to your user id is a 3 dot menu drop down.
I agree it's going to take a bit of getting used to.

There is also the icon with the two arrows at the bottom of the page on the left side

View attachment 206256
Seems you can adjust the width of the Forum but not the home screen unfortunately ...

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
As with all new sites, there are a few things that will have to be tweaked over the next day or two. We ask that you bear with us until at least Friday, as there are some scheduling conflicts that have arisen.

1. Content is not displayed fully yet
  2. Content isn't all in the right spots, that's my tedious job for today.
  3. Mobile viewing needs tweaks with certain elements (Lesson learned: When testing a site with a Z Fold, use the small screen!)
  4. Some missing content will be added back soon
Again, please give us until Friday to get things fully sorted out.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
As with all new sites, there are a few things that will have to be tweaked over the next day or two. We ask that you bear with us until at least Friday, as there are some scheduling conflicts that have arisen.
[...]
  1. Mobile viewing needs tweaks with certain elements (Lesson learned: When testing a site with a Z Fold, use the small screen!) [...]
On an iphone there is a lot of vertical space wasted by having both a top and bottom bar that you can't scroll away. A more annoying change is that in the forum overview (again, on an iphone) everything is set in bold now. The old interface used bold typefaces to get your attention, like threads with new posts, not for everything. It's like the kid in class that highlighted everything in textbooks, it defeats the point.

For the other changes, it will take some time for me to get used to them. It's good to see actual effort going into the site, so thank you!

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
On an iphone there is a lot of vertical space wasted by having both a top and bottom bar that you can't scroll away. A more annoying change is that in the forum overview (again, on an iphone) everything is set in bold now. The old interface used bold typefaces to get your attention, like threads with new posts, not for everything. It's like the kid in class that highlighted everything in textbooks, it defeats the point.

For the other changes, it will take some time for me to get used to them. It's good to see actual effort going into the site, so thank you!
Agree on the bars ..

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Again, please give us until Friday to get things fully sorted out.
For sure I will.

Just one short question: Did you reduce the max file size for pics to upload? (On purpose or by fault?)
I received such a message while trying to upload a 1500x1000 pix JPEG, 2.x MByte, which usually worked well in the past.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
For sure I will.

Just one short question: Did you reduce the max file size for pics to upload? (On purpose or by fault?)
I received such a message while trying to upload a 1500x1000 pix JPEG, 2.x MByte, which usually worked well in the past.
I'll take a look at the limit settings today. I didn't change anything, but defaults sometimes come back.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Will we be able to opt for "night design" (white script on black field) for the forum as before?
Yes, look in the bottom left, it's the 'style chooser'. You can also go to you account settings to change it. The account settings also allow you to change the default starting page of the forums, I changed it from 'Hot' to 'Forum list' to get the overview back.

Scherm­afbeelding 2022-11-09 om 10.30.07.png

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Yes, look in the bottom left, it's the 'style chooser'. You can also go to you account settings to change it. The account settings also allow you to change the default starting page of the forums, I changed it from 'Hot' to 'Forum list' to get the overview back.

View attachment 206258
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Instead of a rumors/news site with some commercial offers and ads, it now resembles a shop with some hidden rumors and news...

Edit: I miss the menu. The "lens roadmap" section is gone...
It's on the right of the blog now, it will be added to the forum soon.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The sorting of topics also seems broken, this is what the 5 most recent EOS bodies rumours are. The majority are neither rumours nor about Canon nor about bodies.

View attachment 206283
You'll need to push the "Forum list" button to get the old sorting again.

2022-11-11_08-11-34.png

Upvote 0