Canon shows off it's new low light sensor, capable of 100fps video

HTML:
<iframe width="728" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mZNWt-GRD7s" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe><p>Canon also released a video detailing it’s new 19um full frame low light sensor, improved from it’s first generation low light full frame sensor now capable of shooting up to 100 fps on 1080p video.</p>
<p>Canon USA also launched a new sensor portal <a href="https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/product-showcases/sensors">here</a>.  This portal contains a variety of information on three signature new sensors released by Canon including preliminary specification sheets and whitepapers on the following three sensors;</p>
<ul>
<li>the 120MP sensor that was previously mentioned</li>
<li>a 5MP 2/3″ Global Shutter sensor</li>
<li>a new 100fps 1080p low light sensor</li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Surveillance or machine camera sensor, 2.24 MP. Canon is putting a lot of R&D into these, there is a big profit selling to high end customers. You won't see these sensors in a DSLR.

Of corse not, but the research and technology improvements will be seen in future DSLRs. Everything Canon is learning as they develop these new sensors will benefit photography.

Upvote 0
Kim Photo Addict said:
I don't want to buy super computer from NASA to work with 120mp file.

Just want better Dynamic range, like 15-16 stop, and low noise.
That's enough for me
You must be joking - NASA don't make supercomputers and you don't need one to process five 24 Mp images today (well, except from Adobe Lightroom where no supercomputer will make process even a single 20 Mp image smoothly, but that's not NASAs fault, or Canon)

Since Canon can't deliver high DR yet, choose the 120 Mp sensor and average down the resolution to 2 Mp and you will get your 15-16 stops of DR. Averaging noise down will increase DR.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Simen1 said:
Kim Photo Addict said:
I don't want to buy super computer from NASA to work with 120mp file.

Just want better Dynamic range, like 15-16 stop, and low noise.
That's enough for me
You must be joking - NASA don't make supercomputers and you don't need one to process five 24 Mp images today (well, except from Adobe Lightroom where no supercomputer will make process even a single 20 Mp image smoothly, but that's not NASAs fault, or Canon)

Since Canon can't deliver high DR yet, choose the 120 Mp sensor and average down the resolution to 2 Mp and you will get your 15-16 stops of DR. Averaging noise down will increase DR.

At 120MP they could shoot four different ISO values in one frame and still come out with a 30MP final result.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
CanonFanBoy said:
Don Haines said:
Im sure that the market for low light video surveillance is greater than the market for DSLRs and mirrorless put together......

Governments love this stuff more than anybody as of late.
Yeah.... in the last few years our site has spent millions on surveillance cameras, and a grand total of 1 P/S camera....

Upvote 0
It may well be used for surveillance, but I'd hope and imagine it has a use in documentary making and scientific applications. Not everything is negative! PS April 1st or not, the video looks totally legit and there's no reason to believe it's not real. It's heartening to see them continue to put research into these ultra low light sensors.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
scyrene said:
It may well be used for surveillance, but I'd hope and imagine it has a use in documentary making and scientific applications. Not everything is negative! PS April 1st or not, the video looks totally legit and there's no reason to believe it's not real. It's heartening to see them continue to put research into these ultra low light sensors.

Yes, ask anyone into astrophotography if they are excited about video so sensitive that a 1/100 of a second frame shows stars.... I would love to have something like that hanging off the back of a telescope

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
AvTvM said:
unfocused said:
Everything Canon is learning as they develop these new sensors will benefit photography.

no. all the video cr*p is utterly useless or even detrimental to stills photography related development.

Simply saying something like that does not make it true. In fact, it only reflects poorly on you and your understanding of the interconnection between video and still technologies.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Don Haines said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Don Haines said:
Im sure that the market for low light video surveillance is greater than the market for DSLRs and mirrorless put together......

Governments love this stuff more than anybody as of late.
Yeah.... in the last few years our site has spent millions on surveillance cameras, and a grand total of 1 P/S camera....

You are right Don. Most companies don't bat an eye at spending money on security cameras. Buy me a 1dx? Yeah right... lol

Upvote 0