Canon Shutter Actuation App for Mac

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=14568"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=14568">Tweet</a></div>
<b>A Mac app to check shutter actuations

</b>ShutterCount displays the number of shutter actuations (the shutter count) of your Canon EOS digital camera. The shutter count is read directly from a USB-connected camera, and thus provides accurate numbers that are not attainable with simple EXIF-based methods.</p>
<p>With ShutterCount you can easily check whether a newly purchased camera is really new, or check how heavily used a pre-owned item is. And you can save a trip to a Canon Service Center by doing the reading for yourself.</p>
<p>The app provides unlimited readings for an unlimited number of cameras, so you can freely track actual camera usage. Even if you work for a rental house or just lend a camera to a friend.</p>
<p>ShutterCount only displays the shutter count for still photos – video clips recorded are not included in the number. For a separate mirror movement reading (that includes videos) you should consult an authorized Canon Service Center.</p>
<p>Note: for the best compatibility with your camera it is recommended to upgrade the camera’s firmware to the latest available version.</p>
<p>WiFi on the EOS 6D and 70D must be turned off as it blocks the USB port when turned on!</p>
<p><b>Supported cameras:</b></p>
<ul>
<li>Canon EOS-1D X</li>
<li>Canon EOS 5D Mark II</li>
<li>Canon EOS 5D Mark III</li>
<li>Canon EOS 6D</li>
<li>Canon EOS 7D</li>
<li>Canon EOS 60D</li>
<li>Canon EOS 70D</li>
<li>Canon EOS 100D / Rebel SL1</li>
<li>Canon EOS 600D / Rebel T3i / Kiss X5</li>
<li>Canon EOS 650D / Rebel T4i / Kiss X6i</li>
<li>Canon EOS 700D / Rebel T5i</li>
<li>Canon EOS 1100D / Rebel T3 / Kiss X50</li>
</ul>
<p>Please quit all applications that might connect to your camera (e.g. Canon EOS Utility, Capture One, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom) before launching ShutterCount.</p>
<p>The app is $1.99 until the end of October.</p>
<p><a href="https://itunes.apple.com/app/shuttercount/id720123827?ls=1&mt=12"><b>Download through the Mac App Store</b></a><b> | </b><a href="http://www.direstudio.com/shuttercount"><b>Visit the App web site</b></a></p>
<p><b>c</b><b>r</b></p>

Rienzphotoz said:
I don't really like the "free" apps, coz there is no such thing as "free" ... most of these free apps are leaches that leave adverts and eat into my bandwidth.

Wow, and now you just offended the entire open source developer community.

You have no idea how much open source software powers just about every piece of technology you use everyday. Even Microsoft and Apple make great use of open source technologies in both Windows, and Mac OS. This page, for instance, lists all the open source software used in Mac OS, and the same is true for iOS (iPhone, iPad): http://www.opensource.apple.com/release/mac-os-x-1084/

Use Android? 100% free and open source. I bet Canon uses a lot of open source tools to develop the firmware for its cameras, and probably parts of the firmware itself are based on open source projects.

It was very ignorant of you to say that most free software is a trojan horse, a scam.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
xvnm said:
Rienzphotoz said:
I don't really like the "free" apps, coz there is no such thing as "free" ... most of these free apps are leaches that leave adverts and eat into my bandwidth.

You have no idea how much open source software powers just about every piece of technology you use everyday. Even Microsoft and Apple make great use of open source technologies in both Windows, and Mac OS. This page, for instance, lists all the open source software used in Mac OS, and the same is true for iOS (iPhone, iPad): http://www.opensource.apple.com/release/mac-os-x-1084/

Use Android? 100% free and open source. I bet Canon uses a lot of open source tools to develop the firmware for its cameras, and probably parts of the firmware itself are based on open source projects.

It was very ignorant of you to say that most free software is a trojan horse, a scam.
I don't know about "the entire open source developer community" being offended ... but you certainly seem to be offended. Yes I have used several Android devices and my current phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and I'm pretty well aware of open source. But it seems like you don't understand the difference between what is most free apps and the "entire open source developer community" ... BTW, I definitely did not say "scam" ... so hold your horses, take a deep breath and relax for a little while before jumping the gun. ;)

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
xvnm said:
Rienzphotoz said:

I don't know about "the entire open source developer community" being offended ... but you certainly seem to be offended. Yes I have used several Android devices and my current phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and I'm pretty well aware of open source. But it seems like you don't understand the difference between what is most free apps and the "entire open source developer community" ... BTW, I definitely did not say "scam" ... so hold your horses, take a deep breath and relax for a little while before jumping the gun. ;)

Try Linux then talk to me about open source. Cult of MAC and Micro$ofties need no apply. YMMY

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
blanddragon said:
Rienzphotoz said:
xvnm said:
Rienzphotoz said:

Try Linux then talk to me about open source. Cult of MAC and Micro$ofties need no apply. YMMY
Currently running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my desktop PC at home, Windows 8 on a home laptop, Windows 7 at office laptop, OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on a MBP & iMac at home (and downloading Mavericks as I type this message) … have tried 7 flavors of Linux in the past 9 years … I am well aware of "Linux" and "Open Source", so save your breath instead of immature kiddy name calling of Windows & Mac users and stick to the topic of this thread i.e "Mac app to check shutter actuations". But if you are hell bent on flashing your limp Linux tool, you'd be better served at a Suckx/Linux forum … you're barkin up the wrong tree here.

Upvote 0
OK, now this is interesting.

I recently bought a brand new 650D (on sale) for my sister. I know I only took a single picture with the camera, yet it shows 73 actuations. "Well, maybe you didn't buy a brand new camera.", you say, "It's a 650D, after all".

Well, that's what I thought at first ("those Best Buy b*st*rds!"). But I also have a new 70D, which I bought the day it arrived at the store. They are a well-respected seller, I have no reason to believe my 70D may have been used before they sold it to me. Yet, I've shot 3192 pictures and 49 movies with it so far (3241 files in total), but the shutter counter says 3290.

Is it normal/expected/possible that cameras leave the factory with some actuations on them already? Quality assurance testing, maybe? What's your experience?

Upvote 0
xvnm said:
Is it normal/expected/possible that cameras leave the factory with some actuations on them already? Quality assurance testing, maybe? What's your experience?

Yup. I'd actually be worried if my camera arrived without anyone bothering to see if it works! You can't buy a new car with 0 miles on the clock for similar reasons.

Upvote 0
I checked my 7D with this app last night. Over 60k activations! That's 20k a year so far...

The total reported by the app and the serial of the last photo taken on mine (e.g. the "-XXXX") differ about 25. Or maybe 1,025... Anyway, not enough that I worried about it, and many can be attributed to the few videos I've taken with it, which do NOT show up in the shutter count reported by the App (apparently Canon can actually access the number of "mirror activations", but not this app.).

Upvote 0
Re: I can see it on my 1DX already...

neuroanatomist said:
clicstudio said:
The system status display on the 4th "tool" menu clearly displays the release cycles...
Unfortunately, I already have ~142000 :eek:

The 4th 'tool' menu of which app?

The in camera menu system of the 1DX. Under system status. Mine is 122000 cycles.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Re: I can see it on my 1DX already...

wockawocka said:
neuroanatomist said:
clicstudio said:
The system status display on the 4th "tool" menu clearly displays the release cycles...
Unfortunately, I already have ~142000 :eek:

The 4th 'tool' menu of which app?
The in camera menu system of the 1DX. Under system status. Mine is 122000 cycles.

Of course. Silly me... Thanks!

Upvote 0